Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does not look like Waymo needs to worry.

For a very, very long time.

However, it does do extremely slow u-turns. So there is that?

At least Whole Mars is planning his coast-to-coast drive this year, undeterred by not having v12 on the freeways yet. And undeterred by the general state of affairs and the “current realities on the ground.”

Maybe it will improve quickly. I just want a driver assist that gets rid of the annoying current “features.” It’s really not that bad at the moment as long as you know where it will suck. Make it a little snappier and they might be on to something.

Last edited:
I just tried FSD V12.2.1 the first time. The round trip was 40 minute long at night.

Positive: smooth turns at intersections. There was one short indecisive left turn in the middle of an intersection when seeing a car approached the intersection in the opposite direction though.

Disengagements: 3

2 disengagement because FSD took early exits before the correct exits.
1 disengagement because FSD crossed a double yellow lane a T section to make left turn. There was no car around though.

That’s promising.

Tuesday schools reopen. I will be impressed if V12 begins to handle school zones and particularly approaching boarding school buses in some manner. A stop is required in many/all? states - lights flashing and all.

If V12 is trained on real video from surface street driving, then this behavior would be the dominant learning behavior. This would be a clear confirmation that V12 is a new training paradigm IMO.

It does not look like Waymo needs to worry.

For a very, very long time.

At least Whole Mars is planning his coast-to-coast drive this year, undeterred by not having v12 on the freeways yet. And undeterred by the general state of affairs and the “current realities on the ground.”

Maybe it will improve quickly. I just want a driver assist that gets rid of the annoying current “features.” It’s really not that bad at the moment as long as you know where it will suck. Make it a little snappier and they might be on to something.
Sure hope AI DRIVR makes a full on video today and gets it out. Also any evidence Chis and/or (in the doghouse) Chuck got it.

Sure hope AI DRIVR makes a full on video today and gets it out. Also any evidence Chis and/or (in the doghouse) Chuck got it.
Chuck says he does not have it yet.
Neither does Chris (Dirty Tesla).

They're both trying to take it well, but I'm sure they wish they would be in the first group - as much as I want it, I'd love to see those guys get it first.

Chuck says he does not have it yet.
Neither does Chris (Dirty Tesla).

They're both trying to take it well, but I'm sure they wish they would be in the first group - as much as I want it, I'd love to see those guys get it first.
Could be Chris didn't get it because of the snow and maybe Chuck because of the rain (as in he rained on Elon's crazy conspiracy parade 🤣 ).

EDIT: Also I "reported" requesting the thread be pinned.

Whole Mars Catalog drive on V12.2.1 in wet conditions with regular intervals of rain. This drive is brought to you by the words Hesitant and Slow.

03:34 Proper handling of consecutive lights while dealing with another driver going straight in a right turn lane.
05:28 Hard brake for light.
07:01 Same light, accelerator intervention required when light turns green.
08:22 Handles speed bump (10 mph)
09:33 Handles speed bump (13 mph)
10:18 Slow departure from stop sign
11:06 Right turn through traffic circle, sharp brake to yield to car
11:33 Straight through traffic circle, yield to car
12:07 Yielding to cyclist at narrowing in road
12:13 Straight through traffic circle, asserting right of way over entering traffic
13:33 Hesitant crossing of intersection after stop
14:01 Hesitant departure after stop
14:23 Straight through traffic circle, no traffic, slow
15:09 Very hesitant departure after stop
15:49 Rubbish left at four-way stop with traffic
17:47 End of drive, hesitation and accurately double-parking the only car nearby.

Out of curiosity I picked just one of the above items. In this case the slow departure at 10:18 which the op considered slow. The car waited for the cyclist and then proceeded. Perhaps the comment was related to the speed achieved once thru the intersection but I certainly wouldn't criticize this. How that is regarded slow I have no idea. Based on that observation I didn't even bother checking the other items.

In general the reviews I've seen are a lot more positive reviews then prior V11 releases so that is encouraging.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I picked just one of the above items. In this case the slow departure at 10:18 which the op considered slow. The car waited for the cyclist and then proceeded. Perhaps the comment was related to the speed achieved once thru the intersection but I certainly wouldn't criticize this. How that is regarded slow I have no idea. Based on that observation I didn't even bother checking the other items.
Perhaps if you had watched some V12 drive videos you would understand the distinction. A normal departure for V12 is quite brisk. This newest version is markedly hesitant and slow. Omar commented on his disappointment with this latest version.

Personally I'm not a fan of:

1. Significant rolling stop @ stop sign, and

2. Volume button no longer satisfies nag. i doubt it will ever return.

On the landscape screen cars, does the FSD engagement stalk satisfy the nag like it does on portrait screen cars like mine does today?

Both feel like significant safety concerns.
It’s a safety concern that they removed the ability to bypass the nag with alternate hands free options? If your hands are on the wheel these are not needed.

It’s a safety concern that they removed the ability to bypass the nag with alternate hands free options? If your hands are on the wheel these are not needed.
There has been a flood of devices on aliexpress (maybe ebay as well) that install behind the steering wheel air bag in line with one of the scroll wheels. It randomly adjusts your volume up and down one click to defeat the nag.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
It’s a safety concern that they removed the ability to bypass the nag with alternate hands free options?
Absolutely, IMHO.

IF you configure your car properly to "single pull" and IF you don't put on too much torque to disable autosteer and IF you recognize what the software disabled or not by taking your eyes off the road, at a time when your car is steering randomly into traffic - compared to a simple "I'm still here" motion with no ambiguity? All day long.

Reactions: Pdubs
There has been a flood of devices on aliexpress (maybe ebay as well) that install behind the steering wheel air bag in line with one of the scroll wheels. It randomly adjusts your volume up and down one click to defeat the nag.
That cheat sounds (pun intended) terrible. I can imagine the volume of the radio randomly increasing and decreasing. That'd be worse than a safety alert.

Perhaps if you had watched some V12 drive videos you would understand the distinction. A normal departure for V12 is quite brisk. This newest version is markedly hesitant and slow. Omar commented on his disappointment with this latest version.
It might be a blessing as v12.1.2's brisk acceleration seemed to throw some caution to the wind. I recall the team warning Omar to be very careful with that release.