Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD getting things right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove 1100 highway miles and a few city miles with FSD and only a few disengagement. 2 were when there were express lanes and the entrance had just a dotted line so the car tried to enter. Aside from that it switched highways and kept up with traffic almost flawlessly. I did on occasion adjust the speed using the cruise control lever or stepping on the gas (electric) pedal fro a short time. We also had 3 phantom brakes, all in one particular area. It made my drive so much easier.

I love how you just distilled all of the decision making aspects of driving down to "some logic" like it's a little project one could just do in a week 🤣
they’ve had years though….

didn’t say all aspects but the basics like you know not smashing into things and taking turns at 25mph from a standstill should be pretty simple given years of development

Simple as don’t accelerate from 0 - 25 at almost full power…

Don’t worry it’s really hard

1 million miles 0 at fault accidents but yeah don’t worry Musk said it’s really hard cause AI Machines and neural link or something.

Not like he’s allowed to speak on anything scientific given he’s a total poser fraud who’s built nothing, including Tesla whom he basically crowned himself founder even though it was founded by actual engineers scientists.

didn’t say all aspects but the basics like you know not smashing into things and taking turns at 25mph from a standstill should be pretty simple given years of development

Simple as don’t accelerate from 0 - 25 at almost full power…

Maybe you should go and work for Tesla with your machine learning experience and show them how easy it is!

Not like he’s allowed to speak on anything scientific given he’s a total poser fraud who’s built nothing, including Tesla whom he basically crowned himself founder even though it was founded by actual engineers scientists.

And there it is. This should have been your first post. Just get your full bias put out there right off the bat.

Preface, the OP is saying FSD but I am going to make the assumption that they mean FSDb. My comments below are directly concerning FSDb, but don't necessarily negate the same possibilities for FSD.

While I agree that there is a lot that the car does great, the problem is that with every update you have to go through a re-trusting phase because you don't know what may have regressed or what new errors might pop. For example, my normal daily commute used to be pretty uneventful on FSDb except for a couple of phantom braking issues and lane change for route errors... But I think it was with 11.3.6 FSDb that lane changes onto exit ramp lanes turned semi-violent and actually I believe will touch the right lane line. In addition it is now incorrectly trying to take HOV ramps also semi-violently.

So just remember, with every update it is a good idea to check your trust of FSDb on your normal commutes and in places where it previously behaved properly, because it may have changed behavior.
True - as a user, this is one of the frustrating things with the development of FSD. If you think about how it works as a system it shouldn’t be too surprising but we think like humans, not algorithms or neural nets so when the latest version of FSDb starts getting something wrong our first reaction is “#$@&! You had that figured out! Why are you messing it up again?” Of course it’s not a human And doesn‘t think or learn like a human which is why it’s often 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Human nature is also to focus on the negatives. That’s not all bad because the problems are what need work but ignoring the positives simply leads to undue pessimism And dissatisfaction. The difficult task is appropriately balancing them.

I and others have noticed that each version seems to improve a bit from the initial drives right after the update. I still haven’t figured out if that’s actual improvement or simply driver acclimatIon but you’re absolutely correct - each successive version requires a fresh amount of skepticism and a ‘trust check.’

Reactions: rlsd and superblast
Eagerly awaiting the opportunity to use it one day in the Uk. But I suspect the big issue is roundabouts.

We even have ‘magic roundabouts’ near me which are multiple linked mini-roundabouts which make up a giant bi-directional roundabout (with not all humans tackling them very well).

But nice to see a positive post about FSD.
Not only that, you’re going the wrong way! 😉

Reactions: WilberDaForce
Phantom Braking. I do not have FSD on my M3, but it occurs very often. I feel with all the years they have not fixed it on my car, why would I want to get FSD. My question is, is the Phantom braking a problem all versions whether it has FSD or not, or Tesla only concentrates on fixing Auto Drive issues on FSD versions?

Reactions: sfRonH
Don’t worry it’s really hard

1 million miles 0 at fault accidents but yeah don’t worry Musk said it’s really hard cause AI Machines and neural link or something.

Not to be an apologist but Waymo and Tesla are taking very different approaches and in some respects have different goals. That’s not to dispute or degrade Waymo’s accomplishments but autonomous driving is a nascent technology that no one has completely figured out yet. It may be that Tesla’s approach will hit a wall or it may be that Waymo’s will. Or maybe both will succeed. We don’t know yet but ultimately it’s better to have more companies and people working on it.

FSD is lightyears ahead of what it was when I started using it in 2018.

I now have over 150K miles on FSD and IMHO its almost done. There are a lot of edge cases to yet be cleared up, but seeing how far it has come is tremendous.

It's amazing that the Medical Community has been around for centuries and is far more important and spent many more billions of dollars, but far less accomplished than FSD's growth and accomplishments in my view. Yet people are more adamant about FSDs anomalies. I don't get it.

That's a great comp! Yeah, FSDb still isn't perfect but it does things that amaze me on each drive (with some cringey moments as well).

Here's how it handled a red light runner on a recent drive in my Model Y:

Maybe I missed a detail, but it looked like the runner blew thru the light and passed the Tesla. What did the Tesla do to "handle " this?

Another thought, if Tesla knew it was a red light runner it could've automatically sent video including license plate to Police ... just thinking out loud.

Maybe I missed a detail, but it looked like the runner blew thru the light and passed the Tesla. What did the Tesla do to "handle " this?

Another thought, if Tesla knew it was a red light runner it could've automatically sent video including license plate to Police ... just thinking out loud.
It's not super obvious in the video but the car was hesitant when the light turned green. I wondered what was up and looked around and saw the car speeding towards the intersection from the right. The car was blue on the screen so I knew FSDb was tracking it. I had my hands on the wheel and foot hovering over the brake pedal as always but the pucker factor was high! The car basically handled it as an unprotected left and timed the turn to avoid the other car.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the other car looks closer to me in the video but didn't feel that close when it happened. The other driver didn't seem to notice my car and just stared straight ahead as they sailed through the intersection. I believe they saw the next light up and didn't realize they blew through a red light.

Err, aren't both Tesla and Waymo driving over 1 million miles between at accidents?

It's an awesome achievement, to be clear! But it's actually a pretty routine thing now and every few days the FSDb fleet drives a million miles.

From Tesla's latest IR report we know the FSDb fleet is driving a bit over a million miles per day:

1695356068204.png

Accident rates are less well known. Tesla claims well under 1 per million miles (here, for instance). We can of course debate how FSD may be used primarily in easy conditions, how drivers are attentive and intervene before crashes, etc. On the flip side Waymo only operates in specific areas, while Tesla lets anyone just go drive anywhere they want.

It's incredibly hard to make an apples to apples comparison. My point is that your commenting pointing out Waymo drives a million miles without at fault accidents isn't really the indictment of Tesla you seem to think it is.

Am I missing something in my analysis here?

Let's think about this for a minute. Is a fleet of automated, non-human, unbiased snitches really a good idea? A lot of lives could be in for big changes. . . . . . . . . .

Reactions: zoomer0056
Let's think about this for a minute. Is a fleet of automated, non-human, unbiased snitches really a good idea? A lot of lives could be in for big changes. . . . . . . . . .
Well, a lot of places have automated speed traps and or red light cameras - not much different.

Just as a though experiment, how would it be if everyone actually followed the traffic laws all the time?

Phantom Braking. I do not have FSD on my M3, but it occurs very often. I feel with all the years they have not fixed it on my car, why would I want to get FSD. My question is, is the Phantom braking a problem all versions whether it has FSD or not, or Tesla only concentrates on fixing Auto Drive issues on FSD versions?
It changes a little from version to version. The thing to remember is that recognition networks are susceptible to optical illusions, probably even more so than a human.

Reactions: zoomer0056