Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Audio Disengagement Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to learn how other people use the audio feedback after disengaging. Do you give a long-winded diatribe, a short category note (ex. MISSED TURN or WRONG LANE), bitch about something random, etc.

I'm guessing Tesla would gain a lot by giving some direction on how best to use the feature, but since they haven't I can only assume they don't feel it's necessary.

1) The max recording is 10 seconds
2) No one is listening word for word and assessing your attitude
3) In all likelihood the words are transcribed into a text data file
4)The text is probably ran through software that aggregates, sorts and classifies the perceived problems
5) Even more likely most reports fall into a blackhole and only the ones deemed the most egregious or unique are analyzed

It is also likely Tesla added the feature more to appease NHTSA than anything else.

Last edited:
1) The max recording is 10 seconds
2) No one is listening word for word and assessing your attitude
3) In all likelihood the words are transcribed into a text data file
4)The text is probably ran through software that aggregates, sorts and classifies the perceived problems
5) Even more likely most reports fall into a blackhole and only the ones deemed the most egregious or unique are analyzed

It is also likely Tesla added the feature more to appease NHTSA than anything else.
Agree with all, just wondering how others use it.

I would guess they feed everything to an AI that parses and categorizes the audio, so that Tesla can see what the most pressing problems are. But that is my question: what's best? "Long" descriptive narrative or 2-3 word phrase of some high category? How are others doing it?

Agree with all, just wondering how others use it.

I would guess they feed everything to an AI that parses and categorizes the audio, so that Tesla can see what the most pressing problems are. But that is my question: what's best? "Long" descriptive narrative or 2-3 word phrase of some high category? How are others doing it?
If the max recording is 10 seconds as @JulienW reported, a long narrative is not an option.

I've only used this feature once in FSDb v11 because I'm usually distracted by whatever caused me to disgengage. It would also be good to be able to provide feedback when you intervene without disengaging, for example, goosing the pedal when the car is going too slow, or forcing a preemptive lane change because the car waits too long. Also, sometimes you want to report an issue when you don't have to take any action, for example, when the car makes an unnecessary but benign lane change.

If Tesla would add a "feedback to NHTSA" button I would use it all the time. But not often to complain about Tesla's decisions. I would use it at every stop sign, to complain about NHTSA directives.

(10 seconds might not be long enough to describe everything that's happening in slow motion at the stop sign intersection)

At first I used my whole ten seconds to try to fully describe the reason for the disengagement, but now I often just try to "categorize" the issue with a short phrase, like "lane selection," "missed turn," etc. I still will wax loquacious when it seems more context would help.

On my '17 MS legacy vehicle on 11.3.6, I don't see any feedback button nor am I prompted for the reason for a disengagement. Am I missing that somehow? Or maybe Tesla doesn't want my input?
I'm not sure why this is happening. When I disengage there is a note that appears near the bottom of the screen asking if I'd like to send a voice recording. Maybe watch a YouTube video so you can see it in action to then verify if your car doesn't have it?

Are you supposed to record every time you do a disengagment?

I had one yesterday where at a stop sign, the other driver waved for me to go but the car did not and I ended up disengaging.

I had a couple other prompts for something like I was navigating to my house but giving my neighbor a ride, so I disengaged at his house without cancelling the trip and got a prompt.

Not sure what the rules are for doing this? Does it only report the disengagement if you do the recording?