Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Dent (Frustrating...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, if this was already mentioned, but what about a lock option on the console so no accidental friends/valet opening and closing it. At least it would minimize using it unless you really have no more space for that duffle bag that must be placed in the frunk (assuming you have a D option).

Sorry, if this was already mentioned, but what about a lock option on the console so no accidental friends/valet opening and closing it. At least it would minimize using it unless you really have no more space for that duffle bag that must be placed in the frunk (assuming you have a D option).

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for (a lock specific to the frunk), putting the car in Valet mode will lock and prevent access to the frunk and glove box. As such, valets won't have access to it and any friends to whom you don't give full power won't have access to it.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for (a lock specific to the frunk), putting the car in Valet mode will lock and prevent access to the frunk and glove box. As such, valets won't have access to it and any friends to whom you don't give full power won't have access to it.

Caveat: On older cars (older than some point in 2014), there is a mechanical release for the frunk underneath the glove box, which opens the frunk regardless of valet mode. Valet mode is still useful, but it's good to be aware of its limitations.

Caveat: On older cars (older than some point in 2014), there is a mechanical release for the frunk underneath the glove box, which opens the frunk regardless of valet mode. Valet mode is still useful, but it's good to be aware of its limitations.

Tis true. I forgot about that. It's an "emergency release", just like the handles under the carpet in back seats will open the back doors even when "locked". You have to draw the line somewhere. :) Plus new cars no longer come with this, right? It went away when they switched to a single-latch from dual-latches I believe.

Or Tesla could just build a hood capable of handling normal use, like, you know, every other frickin car on the planet :rolleyes:

But isn't that exactly why we all bought a Tesla, because its not like any other car on the planet? :biggrin: (JK, I know where your coming from.) I think there is a LOT to be desired for the price we paid, but I hope most of us are thinking, we are the pioneers of laying down the foundation of the EV evolution. If Elon didnt charge us an arm and a leg for the car, he would have never had the funds to lay down the foundation of the charging stations as well force other premium makers to move towards this path. Having said that, I try not to open the frunk at all. Not even to show people because 3 ppl at the SC on three different occasion show me 3 different ways to do it. I'm deathly afraid of closing it myself.

Having said that, I try not to open the frunk at all. Not even to show people because 3 ppl at the SC on three different occasion show me 3 different ways to do it. I'm deathly afraid of closing it myself.
Unfortunately, that describes me well also. Doing it the way I was shown still causes the metal to depress under my palms. It's always rebounded so far, but I still don't like it... and avoid opening it during demonstrations just because I'm nervous about it. Quite an unfortunate Achille's Heel.

I know there was discussion before about single latch vs. dual latch, the former being used in newer cars. That said, does it actually look like there is only one rectangular loop at the front edge of the frunk for the single latch cars, or is there still two rectangular loops. I ask because 2013 has two loops and I know it is the older style, but I've seen newer cars with the two loops as well. Two weeks ago, I had a loaner P85 w/ Autopilot built in 11/2014 with it, and I currently have a S60 with Autopilot built in 3/2015 with it. I was expecting only one rectangular loop, but maybe there are still two and only one of them locks?

Just wondering if anyone's heard any news recently on this? I was going to bring it up with the SC when I'm in for my yearly.

After a panicked call from my wife, who had accidentally opened the frunk in a parking garage with no cell service and a crying kid in the back, I suppose I'm hoping some progress was made. She was afraid to close it again given the high risk of damage. I tried to walk her through the process, but the call kept dropping. I think going forward I'm going to modify the keys to permanently disable their ability to open the frunk. That should eliminate the possibility of accidentally creating a situation where the frunk may be damaged. Will probably ask if there's something Tesla can do in software first, though.

Just wondering if anyone's heard any news recently on this? I was going to bring it up with the SC when I'm in for my yearly.

After a panicked call from my wife, who had accidentally opened the frunk in a parking garage with no cell service and a crying kid in the back, I suppose I'm hoping some progress was made. She was afraid to close it again given the high risk of damage. I tried to walk her through the process, but the call kept dropping. I think going forward I'm going to modify the keys to permanently disable their ability to open the frunk. That should eliminate the possibility of accidentally creating a situation where the frunk may be damaged. Will probably ask if there's something Tesla can do in software first, though.

While I feel for you and others who have this concern, I think some of the reports have been overblown. I was afraid to use mine b/c of the reports and the multiple variations on how to properly close the front. I have used my frunk at least once a week for months now without a single issue, but I do take care every time I close it. My car (like yours), has the double-latch catches, so hopefully just becoming comfortable with the process is all that is needed?

For me, I gently bring the hood down and gently press for the first latch to catch. Then I use both hands about 6" to the right and 6" to the left of the Tesla T logo with my palm enough enough that my knuckles go over the edge of the hood, and gently put pressure down slowly until I hear the second latch take. When popping someone's back, when you need to give that final push, many will instinctively life off the person's back and then down. The lift off can cause problems. I suspect some of the reports around frunk creases have the same issue. People instinctively lift off the hood and then come down rather than just going down.

Hopefully I haven't made this description too hard to follow?

I've got the process down ok, I think, but there's no way to ensure every person who might accidentally open the frunk can close it. Considering doing so incorrectly ruins a very visible $5k part, it's hard for me to say it's wrong for my wife to be afraid of it, especially when there's no consensus even at Tesla as to what "incorrectly" actually is. Honestly, I never use it either because the risk is so great even though I'm 95% sure I can do it without damage. Pretty sure isn't sure enough.

There seems to be some variance between cars Tesla never figured out. Mine's extremely hard to push down. You have to use at least 2-3 times the force you think should be necessary, and substantially more than the loaner we compared it against. The tech mentioned it seemed my frunk was hard to close in comparison, but also said there's no adjustments they could make at that time. I was wondering if that'd changed.

Mine's extremely hard to push down. You have to use at least 2-3 times the force you think should be necessary, and substantially more than the loaner we compared it against. The tech mentioned it seemed my frunk was hard to close in comparison, but also said there's no adjustments they could make at that time. I was wondering if that'd changed.

Mine is also "hard to push down".. but I go in the frunk probably once a week, and I close it pretty much how Cyclone described, and I've never had a problem. Just place pressure spread out over your entire palms and it just clicks down. If I ever felt the metal bending beneath my palms, I'd stop (that has never happened though).

I also think this is way overblown! If you're gentle and careful with it, I don't think anyone would have this problem. Just don't close it like a regular trunk, or drop it from 2-3 feet, and it will be fine. I don't think it's "high risk of damage"... it's a "slight to moderate risk of damage if you aren't careful."

I've got the process down ok, I think, but there's no way to ensure every person who might accidentally open the frunk can close it. Considering doing so incorrectly ruins a very visible $5k part, it's hard for me to say it's wrong for my wife to be afraid of it, especially when there's no consensus even at Tesla as to what "incorrectly" actually is. Honestly, I never use it either because the risk is so great even though I'm 95% sure I can do it without damage. Pretty sure isn't sure enough.

Yup. I've gotten the call from my Service Center before because I turn on Valet Mode when I give them the car just so my frunk doesn't accidentally open for this very reason. :)

Just wondering if anyone's heard any news recently on this?
For fear of creating a dent, my wife has never used the frunk of our P85 (made Jan 2014). I'm worried about putting my hands anywhere near the crease zone so I close it with my hands all the way on the corners, like we saw all the workers doing it on our factory tour, but being shorter, she can't apply enough force with her arms spread that far.

Last month, when we took delivery of our P90D, we noticed it's hood was much easier to close and my wife had no trouble closing it. Since she would be mainly using our P85, we asked if there was a fix to make the old P85 hood easier to close, like the latest hoods. The answer was no.

As far as any change to the strength of the aluminum to resist denting - Last month we had a 70D loaner with less than 100 miles on it and it had the same classic crease/dent that I've seen on many Model S hoods for years even though it was very easy to close. So I suspect there's no improvement to the aluminum strength.

The only improvement since we bought the P85 has been valet mode blocking the frunk release. We never used valet parking before valet mode was added for fear of the valet accidentally opening the frunk and denting it when they closed it.

One day last year when we were at the service center we walked past a dozen MS's in the parking lot and half had dents, so I sympathize with your idea of modifying your key to force people to use the screen to open the frunk. If you do it, post the details. One thing Tesla could easily add is a dashboard frunk disable option on the screen to prevent accidental frunk use.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
Mine is also "hard to push down".. but I go in the frunk probably once a week, and I close it pretty much how Cyclone described, and I've never had a problem. Just place pressure spread out over your entire palms and it just clicks down. If I ever felt the metal bending beneath my palms, I'd stop (that has never happened though).

I also think this is way overblown! If you're gentle and careful with it, I don't think anyone would have this problem. Just don't close it like a regular trunk, or drop it from 2-3 feet, and it will be fine. I don't think it's "high risk of damage"... it's a "slight to moderate risk of damage if you aren't careful."
To be clear, because yours is "hard to push down" I should disregard that mine is substantially harder to close than other vehicles its age, to the extent that the tech who took a look agreed? It wasn't only my opinion. There's just nothing they could do about it because there's no means to adjust the mechanism.

I will admit it's a little frustrating to see "If you're gentle and careful with it, I don't think anyone would have this problem." This is my third vehicle with an aluminum hood, and second with an aluminum frunk, and it's always been treated "gently and carefully." To someone who has babied this thing so much, that hurts, and it's especially frustrating that even asking if there's been any updates means we do it all again.

Maybe the issue is overblown, maybe it isn't, I don't know or care, but as someone who has a vehicle that seems to be at high risk (either due to design or owner) I wish it were possible to ask if there are any updates on the issue without rehashing who is to blame.

For fear of creating a dent, my wife has never used the frunk of our P85 (made Jan 2014). I'm worried about putting my hands anywhere near the crease zone so I close it with my hands all the way on the corners, like we saw all the workers doing it on our factory tour, but being shorter, she can't apply enough force with her arms spread that far.

Similar here. When I put her through "frunk training" about a year ago she couldn't get the leverage to close it using the new recommended wide arm stance. She had to put her hands closer together than mine to get the force necessary to close the frunk. Still in the green zone, but closer than I'd prefer.

One day last year when we were at the service center we walked past a dozen MS's in the parking lot and half had dents, so I sympathize with your idea of modifying your key to force people to use the screen to open the frunk. If you do it, post the details. One thing Tesla could easily add is a dashboard frunk disable option on the screen to prevent accidental frunk use.

It's been a little while now, but the TMC Connect in Monterey was similarly a horror show. I wanted to check at the TMC San Jose this year, but we were much more spread out in the convention center lot.

Last edited:
My wife and I are both confident in our ability to properly close the frunk. Even so, we never use it, for fear of the dreaded crease. We just don't need to carry that much stuff! As for convenience, I'll sacrifice a little convenience to increase the probability of keeping my hood crease-free.

All that being said, I would love Tesla to provide a means, via software, to disable the frunk opening ability of the key fobs, as we do occasionally still inadvertently open the frunk, and every time we do it is a stressful situation. For the very rare instance when I want to open the frunk, I'd happily do it from the display.