Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Tires Rubbing on P85+ when reversing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered one, they are $110 bucks for those who want to replace the old version with a (hopefully) less annoying new version. Also, I was told by the parts department that there is another newer version than the one pictured above. I will post the part number once it comes in.

I can't believe I didn't notice before, but the wheel liner in your picture is the same factory liner they've always used, just laying horizontally. So, they didn't change the design, the fender liner in your picture is just laid on its side. The proper alignment of the part would be turning it 90 degrees clockwise.

I have 22" wheels on my S and have rubbing on the right fender well on the thinner section of fins (bottom fins in your picture's orientation) when I reverse at full lock. It's only on the outermost fins, and only in reverse because the fins are pointed down...so the tire tread catches the fins in reverse, but not in drive.

I plan to just cut the fins out of the area that's rubbing. That should only be an inch or two of space, and they're not really structural, so that shouldn't cause any issues. And without a point to rub on, the noise should go away.

Reporting back in a day or so to let y'all know if it helped!

Just use a heat gun and push it in a bit. You don't need to cut anything.

This didn't work for me - though I'm not very good with a heat gun. I found that the edge of the fin would start to melt before it got hot enough to bend effectively.

But I did resolve the problem today (sounds like I did the same thing Russell did. I didn't need to cut out the whole fin out, just shave it down a bit. My actual Dremel died a little while back, so......I used my dog's rotary nail trimmer. The wheel liner is super soft rubber, so it came off with no problem. I then cleaned up the edges with needle nose pliers, an X-Acto knife, and a bit of sandpaper.

I shaved off about 3/16" from 5 of the fins, and now no more rubbing, period! Structural integrity of the fender liner is fine, and there's no loss of functionality or open gaps that could toss debris in the fan in front of the liner.

K0PE0dy.jpg