Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Tires Rubbing on P85+ when reversing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a S85, coil suspension and only my front right tire rubs at slow speed when turning hard (like 75%) forward or reverse. Turn it more or less and it doesnt rub. Very noticeable noise (wife commented on it). Havent had SC look at it yet but im going to ask them to next time I have a real reason to take it in.

Reactions: evp
I had the car in for service and they checked this out. They fixed the problem. I have the winter 19" now but will have to check again in summer with the 21's.
Here is what they did:

Replaced Wheel Arch Liner, Upper Front Right due to rubbing.
Part Quantity
LOUVRE ASSY, RH, WHEEL LINER
(1020471-00-B) 1
RVT PUSH-PULL 8X18X20.0 (1006521-00-A) 3

Hope this helps others. Portland SC did a great job.

Did they give any pricing for the fender liner? I would like to replace mine with the newer one to get rid of the rubbing, but cannot get a price from Tesla. Looking for pricing one the latest version:1020471-00-D

Usually you can clearly see where the tire has rubbed the liner... target that spot, and heat the front forward wheelwell liner there and push it out a bit.. Note this is a plastic liner at the front of the car, whereas all the other liner areas are press formed fiber and do not melt so this trick won't work everywhere. Luckily tire rubs like this all seem to happen on the front plastic one at hard steering angles.

Fresh tread on new tires may make it rub again... so push it out a bit further than it needs to be.

Tire offset on non-OEM wheels can cause rubbing when you change over sets.. This is how I learned with my winters. My aftermarket rims were 35 offset instead of the stock 40, or vise versa... I forget .. but 5 millimeters made a difference.

The heat gun I'm talking about looks like a hair dryer and can be had for about $20. Practice on something other than a Tesla if you're new to the gun.

You'll find other uses for the gun over time... so good investment in a tool.

Last edited:
Usually you can clearly see where the tire has rubbed the liner... target that spot, and heat the front forward wheelwell liner there and push it out a bit.. Note this is a plastic liner at the front of the car, whereas all the other liner areas are press formed fiber and do not melt so this trick won't work everywhere. Luckily tire rubs like this all seem to happen on the front plastic one at hard steering angles.

Fresh tread on new tires may make it rub again... so push it out a bit further than it needs to be.

Tire offset on non-OEM wheels from Tesla can cause rubbing.. This is how I learned. My aftermarket winters were 35 offset instead of the stock 40, or vise versa... I forget .. but 5 millimeters made a difference.

The heat gun I'm talking about looks like a hair dryer and can be had for about $20. Practice on something other than a Tesla if you're new to the gun.

You'll find other uses for the gun over time... so good investment in a tool.

I have aftermarket wheels and tires and have already hit that area with a heat gun. Rather than really pushing this area well past where it should be i would like to replace the liner with a new one. You can see in the picture below that Tesla addressed the issue by changing the direction of the vents from horizontal to vertical (which would make no sound if tread hit it, AND added a smooth round "patch" where tires might rub. If this part is only a couple hundred bucks I would like to just switch it out rather than melting the heck out of my 2013 liner. Does anyone have access to pricing on this one?

Newest version of the liner below:

tesla.03.jpg

I just ordered one, they are $110 bucks for those who want to replace the old version with a (hopefully) less annoying new version. Also, I was told by the parts department that there is another newer version than the one pictured above. I will post the part number once it comes in.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
@cmarshack
Thanks for reporting back! I didn't catch the reply.

Does anyone know if the newer fender liners don't have the felt like material anymore? I don't know what the benefit of the felt like material is but seems like a poor decision for more dirt/snow/crud build up and sticking...

I just ordered one, they are $110 bucks for those who want to replace the old version with a (hopefully) less annoying new version. Also, I was told by the parts department that there is another newer version than the one pictured above. I will post the part number once it comes in.

Hey, any update on the new-new part number? I have 20mm spacers on my factory 21" Turbines on my Facelifted '16 Model S, and like you i tried the heat gun and whatnot....they still rub in the corners. I'd love to just replace them with the new design and not have to hear it.