Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From 340xi to Tesla dual motor Model 3 - mini comparo.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seen a few people here with similar issue and was related to it not being enabled in software. Believe phone call to corporate can remotely unlock (no trip to SC required)

So the issue was due to yours truly being a dumbass. Pushing stalk wrong way to activate it. Also known as PEBCAK although in this case it would be PEBCASW

Having said that, using it on a 80 mile drive today reminded me it's not fully baked just yet. It did well on the interstate but struggled, repeatedly on a well marked and divided state highway.... repeatedly doing things like dodging for exits instead of keeping its lane.

Not quite there yet but I know Tesla will continue to improve it, so here's to happen for a point where I can relax more than be anxious while using it.

Another mini update.

I checked tire pressure this morning and my race gauge showed them at 49-50 psi. I dropped them to 42 psi. Improved the ride tremendously.

I also found what felt like a bur or rough spot on the steering wheel stitching. I've seen a thread about that problem. I put it under a loupe and you could see where the pulled the thread out and snipped it off but left a 1-2mm bur there. Wouldn't think it's enough to annoy you, but yes it is. My wife did some handiwork on it with cuticle cutters (I can't be trusted with small instruments) and that problem is fixed.

We also picked up on a buzz during our long drive today it was coming from the passenger side seat belt B pillar anchor.. the one you can adjust in two positions. Not sure yet what the fix for that is.

Congratulations on your new Tesla. I bought my Tesla Model S couple of years back. Loved it mostly for the acceleration and technology it provided. As you pointed in your review that the interior is not comparable to all the other luxury cars (not just germans but even brands like Lexus and Jaguar) however I didn't want to accept it as I had invested 75K dollars.

However, after 2 years and multiple trips to service center I decided to sell mine because the quality of the materials were just not upto the mark and not something that you would expect for such an expensive car. Another downside I realized was that since the cabin was so quite I could hear even the slightest of noises made by the plastic parts (and believe me there were a lot). I hope you guys don't face similar problems. But I sincerely hope that Elon starts focusing on improving the quality of product instead of bringing more and more to the market because it will come back to bite Tesla really hard once all the manufacturers come out with their offering because I don't think Tesla is offering anything special outside of Supercharger network that other companies won't be able to match and even beat.

Again this is my personal opinion but I want to make sure all the potential buyers do perform their due diligence and should not buy it just based on a couple of test drives and it is the long term quality which will matter more as they will definitely feel awesome during the test drive or weekend rental.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
I wanted to provide a bit more information around the fit/finish aspect.

This is the one fit & finish thing I've really been able to notice in my first couple of days with the car. The window trim on the rear driver's side door is not aligned to the trim in the C pillar the way it is on the passenger's side.

I've been seeing this on Tesla's for a while actually. It was most noticeable with the Model X with the falcon wing doors that seem to align well.

Again this is my personal opinion but I want to make sure all the potential buyers do perform their due diligence and should not buy it just based on a couple of test drives and it is the long term quality which will matter more as they will definitely feel awesome during the test drive or weekend rental.

I think this is a valid concern and also why I don't think Tesla will ever reach 100% of the market share in a reasonable time. I don't think this requirement applies to everyone. Tesla aims to be a Ford, not a Lincoln. Eventually, I think it makes sense to split off their brand into a luxury segment that is geared towards your requirements, but that might be 2025 or beyond.

Still, I hope they focus more on these quality issues like now, but that requires a much bigger engineering budget than they currently have.

Another mini update.

I checked tire pressure this morning and my race gauge showed them at 49-50 psi. I dropped them to 42 psi. Improved the ride tremendously.

I also found what felt like a bur or rough spot on the steering wheel stitching. I've seen a thread about that problem. I put it under a loupe and you could see where the pulled the thread out and snipped it off but left a 1-2mm bur there. Wouldn't think it's enough to annoy you, but yes it is. My wife did some handiwork on it with cuticle cutters (I can't be trusted with small instruments) and that problem is fixed.

We also picked up on a buzz during our long drive today it was coming from the passenger side seat belt B pillar anchor.. the one you can adjust in two positions. Not sure yet what the fix for that is.

The pillar anchor floats so when over rough roads it will buzz. My solution is to get some weather stripping foam with double sided tape and wedge it between the anchor and the B pillar trim all around. It basically keeps it in place and reduces the chance of buzz. 3M foam double sided tape works as well if you have no need to adjust the anchor. Seems like a design flaw so it may take Tesla awhile to figure out a solution.

Add me to the list of BMW defectors.

Having owned both a 135i and 328i, and driving >20k mi a year, the tax credit and gas savings make the financials of an AWD more appealing than the 340i/440i GC I was considering.

The fact that it will be quicker, too, doesn’t hurt!

Out of interest, if you are getting so much milage per year doesnt it make more sense to get a 316i or 320d rather than a 340?

But the 316i and the 320d is so weak and under powered might as well get a corolla.

Not to mention we don’t have those in the states.

the 320d does 0 to 60 in 7.3 seconds. Close to 200 hp. How is that weak and underpowered. Oo
I guess americans have slightly different views about whats underpowered lol.

edit: haha I just found out the 320d is actually called 328d in the USA. I guess it is all about the badge lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
But the 316i and the 320d is so weak and under powered might as well get a corolla

the 320d does 0 to 60 in 7.3 seconds. Close to 200 hp. How is that weak and underpowered. Oo

edit: haha I just found out the 320d is actually called 328d in the USA. I guess it is all about the badge lol.
Toyota Corolla 0-60 Times - 0-60 Specs
2018 Corrola SE 0-60 time is 8.3
2018 Corolla XSE 0-60 time is 7.5

2018 Tesla 3 AWD 0-60 time is 4.5 seconds

So the 320d/328d is 2.8 seconds slower than the 3AWD, and 0.2 to 1.0 seconds faster than a Corolla.

Reactions: GSP and voip-ninja
Remember, I can only make this joke as a BMW owner AND fan!

Odhn81X.jpg
Works better with porcupine.

Yes, I drive a BMW.

Just under 200 hp and 7.3 seconds 0-60 is sluggish for a "performance" car, no matter where you live.

I owned an e46 325 that ran about 186 hp. Later I replaced it with an e90 330 that was 255 hp, and did 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. I later replaced the e90 with an F30 330 turbo that put out 248 hp. I gave the 325 to my stepdaughter when I bought the e90 330. And I ended up selling the e90 to her boyfriend. I recently sold my F30, and had a chance to drive both the e90 before he sold it, and the e46 after we each sold our cars. The smooth and constant power and torque throughout the entire power range on the e90 with it's straight six is still the class of the BMW 3 Series. The lack of low end torque on the four cylinder F30 was annoying, but once it spun up it held its own fine. But the 325 is just downright anemic.

in Germany/UK where I lived most of my life anything above a 320 is rather rare. Most BMWs there are 318s I'd say. 0 to 60 in 7 seconds would be considered very quick and certainly in the uk you would get horrendous insurance premiums. Remember the average person there will drive a small 1.2 or 1.5L hatchback or maybe a 1.6 or 1.8L sedan (UK that is). Torque is always really what you are used to and most cars in europe just aren't very quick. Probably traditionally not required anyways as you join the motorway and just hold your speed for 5h until you are at your destination, unlike the more rural bendy country roads in america where you can actually make use of that torque.

I actually had a E46 2L 4cc manual and then an E46 2.2L 6cc automatic in Australia and the manual felt faster than the automatic though the 6cc has a lot of highend power past 4500rpm which you never use anyway. Also the e46 6cc engine sound is soooo smooth without being obnoxious.

In Australia 325s/330 are more common but you also see plenty 318s and the occasional 320. Mix of europe and america i guess.

in Germany/UK where I lived most of my life anything above a 320 is rather rare. Most BMWs there are 318s I'd say. 0 to 60 in 7 seconds would be considered very quick and certainly in the uk you would get horrendous insurance premiums. Remember the average person there will drive a small 1.2 or 1.5L hatchback or maybe a 1.6 or 1.8L sedan (UK that is). Torque is always really what you are used to and most cars in europe just aren't very quick. Probably traditionally not required anyways as you join the motorway and just hold your speed for 5h until you are at your destination, unlike the more rural bendy country roads in america where you can actually make use of that torque.

I actually had a E46 2L 4cc manual and then an E46 2.2L 6cc automatic in Australia and the manual felt faster than the automatic though the 6cc has a lot of highend power past 4500rpm which you never use anyway. Also the e46 6cc engine sound is soooo smooth without being obnoxious.

In Australia 325s/330 are more common but you also see plenty 318s and the occasional 320. Mix of europe and america i guess.

I get it. There are definite differences in the driving habits and needs between the large, open highways of the US, with $2.50-$3.00 per gallon gas, and Europe, with smaller, more highly populated areas, and $5.00+ per gallon petrol. And I won't go into the discussion of how much gas gets wasted, and how much environmental damage is created by US drivers' "need for speed" in ICE cars.

But that doesn't change the objective fact that <200 hp, and 0-60 in over 7 seconds is not a "performance" car.

I get it. There are definite differences in the driving habits and needs between the large, open highways of the US, with $2.50-$3.00 per gallon gas, and Europe, with smaller, more highly populated areas, and $5.00+ per gallon petrol. And I won't go into the discussion of how much gas gets wasted, and how much environmental damage is created by US drivers' "need for speed" in ICE cars.

But that doesn't change the objective fact that <200 hp, and 0-60 in over 7 seconds is not a "performance" car.

i never said it was.

This is the one fit & finish thing I've really been able to notice in my first couple of days with the car. The window trim on the rear driver's side door is not aligned to the trim in the C pillar the way it is on the passenger's side.

My old Model S had the same problem. I waited until I needed to bring the car in for other service and just had them address it then; I didn't think it was worth a trip all on its own.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja