Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont Delivery Experience 12/11 and 12/12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would share my experience quickly. Ordered a red Tesla Model Y LR with 19in gemini wheels and white interior. Received one on 12/12 with Matrix headlights (did light show and it spelled Tesla) but no USS - didn't check but I think it's not there. Build date is 12/22. Pick up was at Fremont factory.

First attempted pickup at the Fremont factory on Sunday 12/11 in pouring rain. Inspected the car before going to the customer center and saw a couple of small nicks on the drivers side panel after comparing it to a couple of other nearby cars. Didn't see any other issues but my wife and I felt like we shouldn't get one with a defect. The Service Advisor deferred to a more senior Service Advisor who offered to fix it and deliver it the next day for us.

Next day, got a note from Tesla that I need to pay first before they'd deliver. I pushed them hard but they weren't willing to deliver before payment. Maybe it's a new policy.

I decided to go back to Fremont to take a look and noticed that the replacement panel was even worse than the original panel. The same senior Service Advisor from the prior day was there and said it was within spec. Definitely felt the pressure from the senior SA to take delivery at this point and accept the defect. We were still reluctant and considered walking away - during this time the Sr Service Advisor convinced the factory technician to take the car in and get it replaced with a clean door panel. I waited two hours and they came back with the car and a fixed panel. Paid and then asked them to drop off the car which they did that night (I think the senior service advisor pushed the delivery people to do it).

Overall I give an A- to the SA - she definitely put some light pressure to close the deal but she did whatever she could to make me happy with my purchase including sending it back to the factory twice, I appreciate that.

The car itself after we got that panel fixed is excellent - B+/A- depending on how you feel about the USS issue. Exterior looks stunning - I like the red with silver rims look. Handling wise, it's not as nimble as my old BMW sedan but definitely more powerful. White interior feels nice although more of my wife's pick than mine. I'm considering buying the acceleration boost but plenty powerful already. Overall user experience of the software is amazing and next generation. How luxury it feels - probably in between a Porsche Macan and a mid-tier config BMW X3 in my opinion.

What I do think gets a F or maybe a D is Tesla quality control, if they have any. I looked at my old BMW sedan door panels and they weren't in that much worse shape than the defective panel that got replaced. Tesla quality issues are a real thing - I wouldn't expect BMW, Lexus, Porsche, or Audi to have these type of issues at this price point although they have their own issues with electronics for sure. I also walked around the parking lot and there were definitely other cars with some minor installation defects.

If you are local in the SF Bay Area, definitely do not choose delivery or pay first - go see the car first hand at the Fremont factory or at a service center before pulling the trigger. If you go to Fremont, don't accept a defective car - push them to fix it because they can at the factory. Also, existing inventory is limited at the factory since all the cars out are assigned a VIN to someone already.

Hope this helps and enjoy.

Tesla_Model_Y_front_passenger_side_view.jpg

"File:Tesla Model Y front passenger side view.jpg" by Daniel.Cardenas is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog thumbnail.

Thought I would share my experience quickly. Ordered a red Tesla Model Y LR with 19in gemini wheels and white interior. Received one on 12/12 with Matrix headlights (did light show and it spelled Tesla) but no USS - didn't check but I think it's not there. Build date is 12/22. Pick up was at Fremont factory.

First attempted pickup at the Fremont factory on Sunday 12/11 in pouring rain. Inspected the car before going to the customer center and saw a couple of small nicks on the drivers side panel after comparing it to a couple of other nearby cars. Didn't see any other issues but my wife and I felt like we shouldn't get one with a defect. The Service Advisor deferred to a more senior Service Advisor who offered to fix it and deliver it the next day for us.

Next day, got a note from Tesla that I need to pay first before they'd deliver. I pushed them hard but they weren't willing to deliver before payment. Maybe it's a new policy.

I decided to go back to Fremont to take a look and noticed that the replacement panel was even worse than the original panel. The same senior Service Advisor from the prior day was there and said it was within spec. Definitely felt the pressure from the senior SA to take delivery at this point and accept the defect. We were still reluctant and considered walking away - during this time the Sr Service Advisor convinced the factory technician to take the car in and get it replaced with a clean door panel. I waited two hours and they came back with the car and a fixed panel. Paid and then asked them to drop off the car which they did that night (I think the senior service advisor pushed the delivery people to do it).

Overall I give an A- to the SA - she definitely put some light pressure to close the deal but she did whatever she could to make me happy with my purchase including sending it back to the factory twice, I appreciate that.

The car itself after we got that panel fixed is excellent - B+/A- depending on how you feel about the USS issue. Exterior looks stunning - I like the red with silver rims look. Handling wise, it's not as nimble as my old BMW sedan but definitely more powerful. White interior feels nice although more of my wife's pick than mine. I'm considering buying the acceleration boost but plenty powerful already. Overall user experience of the software is amazing and next generation. How luxury it feels - probably in between a Porsche Macan and a mid-tier config BMW X3 in my opinion.

What I do think gets a F or maybe a D is Tesla quality control, if they have any. I looked at my old BMW sedan door panels and they weren't in that much worse shape than the defective panel that got replaced. Tesla quality issues are a real thing - I wouldn't expect BMW, Lexus, Porsche, or Audi to have these type of issues at this price point although they have their own issues with electronics for sure. I also walked around the parking lot and there were definitely other cars with some minor installation defects.

If you are local in the SF Bay Area, definitely do not choose delivery or pay first - go see the car first hand at the Fremont factory or at a service center before pulling the trigger. If you go to Fremont, don't accept a defective car - push them to fix it because they can at the factory. Also, existing inventory is limited at the factory since all the cars out are assigned a VIN to someone already.

Lucky for you. my MYLR got the same D quality, without USS and without matrix headlights and delivered in November meaning no $3750. Keep think of me and you will feel better everyday.

Sorry to hear, that sucks. I was originally planning on holding off on delivery until early 2023 since I could have waited longer. However, the $3750 made the difference since I don't qualify for the tax credit.

The USS removal was a disappointment for sure and the matrix headlights I don't really understand the benefits. I'm also curious about this new radar they're adding but I don't expect to ever see it on my car.

... saw a couple of small nicks on the drivers side panel
... noticed that the replacement panel was even worse than the original panel.
... convinced the factory technician to take the car in and get it replaced with a clean door panel.
It would be interesting to see a picture to evaluate the damage.
Do you think it was by another car?

Do you think the SC replaced the full door or instead repainted the door?
I wonder how a door panel could be replaced without replacing the whole door.

Thanks for sharing. Similar experience to mine but mine was already preset to home delivery by Tesla. Didn't have time to drive down to Fremont to check out the car prior to having them deliver it but definitely should have instead of gambling on it.

I do agree that the SA are usually pretty good. They are burdened with reactionary service that they themselves likely don't want to deal with but have to. Things could go a whole lot worse if they are not helpful and spam boiler plate "it's within spec". Glad you were able to resolve your issues too.

Seems like you got a nice trifecta of matrix headlights upgrade (I don't get the benefit either, lol), $3750 dec credit and a rather nice product.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am awaiting a VIN from Tesla with my EDD b/w now and Dec 25th and will now definitely push for a Freemont pickup. Hopefully car comes with less build issues.

Congrts on a beautiful car again.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am awaiting a VIN from Tesla with my EDD b/w now and Dec 25th and will now definitely push for a Freemont pickup. Hopefully car comes with less build issues.

Congrts on a beautiful car again.

Thanks - I think there is a delivery radius where it's automatic. I'm currently living in SF but moving to the Peninsula soon. With my new address, it was set to auto delivery but my move got postponed so I had to switch the address back to SF and it defaulted to Fremont pick up. However if you refuse to pay without seeing it, they will accommodate you to a do a Fremont or service center pick up.

It would be interesting to see a picture to evaluate the damage.
Do you think it was by another car?

Do you think the SC replaced the full door or instead repainted the door?
I wonder how a door panel could be replaced without replacing the whole door.

It was more of a defect than damage. Looked like shoddy workmanship or it didn't come through the panel factory well. No idea on the replacement. As for the damage, imagine if you got a new iPhone and you saw some small but noticeable pits in the frame. That was the first defective panel. The second defective panel would be as if suddenly your iPhone had a really rough edge as if someone scrapped it before packaging it up.

Thanks for sharing. Similar experience to mine but mine was already preset to home delivery by Tesla. Didn't have time to drive down to Fremont to check out the car prior to having them deliver it but definitely should have instead of gambling on it.

I do agree that the SA are usually pretty good. They are burdened with reactionary service that they themselves likely don't want to deal with but have to. Things could go a whole lot worse if they are not helpful and spam boiler plate "it's within spec". Glad you were able to resolve your issues too.

Seems like you got a nice trifecta of matrix headlights upgrade (I don't get the benefit either, lol), $3750 dec credit and a rather nice product.

Did you try Light show and it doesn't spell Tesla? I wouldn't feel too bad about the matrix headlights - I didn't expect to get it and still not sure it does anything besides spell Tesla.

Also as a side note, mine came with a rear cover

Last edited:
Reactions: vkumarg89
Thanks - I think there is a delivery radius where it's automatic. I'm currently living in SF but moving to the Peninsula soon. With my new address, it was set to auto delivery but my move got postponed so I had to switch the address back to SF and it defaulted to Fremont pick up. However if you refuse to pay without seeing it, they will accommodate you to a do a Fremont or service center pick up.

It was more of a defect than damage. Looked like shoddy workmanship or it didn't come through the panel factory well. No idea on the replacement. As for the damage, imagine if you got a new iPhone and you saw some small but noticeable pits in the frame. That was the first defective panel. The second defective panel would be as if suddenly your iPhone had a really rough edge as if someone scrapped it before packaging it up.

Did you try Light show and it doesn't spell Tesla? I wouldn't feel too bad about the matrix headlights - I didn't expect to get it and still not sure it does anything besides spell Tesla.

Also as a side note, mine came with a rear cover
I did get the Matrix headlight in my MYLR, just that I don't get its advantage just yet, lol. Sure, we can spell out Tesla but I'm not going around blasting folks with it. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that I got it, but I know some folks felt like they missed out.

For example; We came out of (Still have) a Lexus RX350 with the triple beam led headlights and that I can tell the advantage over the regular headlights.

One thing is for sure, Tesla will fix the issues to make you a happy customer. Since the OP provided NO pics of his issue - it must of been minor. Been on a recent Tesla lot over the weekend with lot of vehicles available - have to say the quality on every 3 and Y was very good. Looking at upgrading to a MYP, but love the handling of the M3P, sitting low and go-kart handing similar to my Mini Coupe JCW.

IMO - Too many YouTubers get lots of views with titles of delivery and poor quality. They bait everyone to believing they are getting a perfect vehicle. Notice that most talk crap and still end up owning it??? Then provide this crazy check list to go over every minor detail, like they are picking up a $300K vehicle. Nothing is PERFECT (expectations set too high on a mass production vehicle), and I'd say most of the issues a minor or within tolerance. People watch them thinking the worst when going to take delivery on edge (pure craziness). Go take that list to any other MFG today and you'll see paint blemishes, body panels a little off (but with spec). I got a 21 Acura RDX Aspec SHawd right off the truck, a few paint dots and blemishes, truck that needs adjusting and so did a few interior panels - but all were within spec. So I left it at that, as the daily driver will get some wear and tear.

My advice, go see your vehicle, do a good walk around and see if there are BIG issues, if not take delivery and know Tesla will stand behind their product. Added bonus, Tesla's tech with OTA (SOTA + FOTA) + SEAMLESS charging network and operation is way ahead of the competition. Then enjoy the ride - as 99% of us use them for our daily driver.

Last edited:
I did get the Matrix headlight in my MYLR, just that I don't get its advantage just yet, lol. Sure, we can spell out Tesla but I'm not going around blasting folks with it. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that I got it, but I know some folks felt like they missed out.

For example; We came out of (Still have) a Lexus RX350 with the triple beam led headlights and that I can tell the advantage over the regular headlights.
How does the Lexus headlights compare to your new Y? We currently have the triple beams and we will miss the dynamic cornering feature.

How does the Lexus headlights compare to your new Y? We currently have the triple beams and we will miss the dynamic cornering feature.
I want to say the Lexus triple beam is better in everyway but might sound too biased, lolol. Yes, the dynamic cornering is actually something we miss when driving at night as it does actually help, not just a gimmick.

The good news is, the peppiness you get in the MY likely will make up for it. Let's just not compare fit and finish =)

Reactions: tyler_k1
One thing is for sure, Tesla will fix the issues to make you a happy customer. Since the OP provided NO pics of his issue - it must of been minor. Been on a recent Tesla lot over the weekend with lot of vehicles available - have to say the quality on every 3 and Y was very good. Looking at upgrading to a MYP, but love the handling of the M3P, sitting low and go-kart handing similar to my Mini Coupe JCW.

IMO - Too many YouTubers get lots of views with titles of delivery and poor quality. They bait everyone to believing they are getting a perfect vehicle. Notice that most talk crap and still end up owning it??? Then provide this crazy check list to go over every minor detail, like they are picking up a $300K vehicle. Nothing is PERFECT (expectations set too high on a mass production vehicle), and I'd say most of the issues a minor or within tolerance. People watch them thinking the worst when going to take delivery on edge (pure craziness). Go take that list to any other MFG today and you'll see paint blemishes, body panels a little off (but with spec). I got a 21 Acura RDX Aspec SHawd right off the truck, a few paint dots and blemishes, truck that needs adjusting and so did a few interior panels - but all were within spec. So I left it at that, as the daily driver will get some wear and tear.

My advice, go see your vehicle, do a good walk around and see if there are BIG issues, if not take delivery and know Tesla will stand behind their product. Added bonus, Tesla's tech with OTA (SOTA + FOTA) + SEAMLESS charging network and operation is way ahead of the competition. Then enjoy the ride - as 99% of us use them for our daily driver.

Don’t confuse my desire for privacy / not posting a pic for the issue being minor. It wasn’t that big of a deal but it was noticeable and for a $70k car, I wanted it fixed. Also they fixed it after pushing and them trying to do it twice. Overall still happy with the end result but Lexus bmw or Mercedes would not have these issues

Don’t confuse my desire for privacy / not posting a pic for the issue being minor. It wasn’t that big of a deal but it was noticeable and for a $70k car, I wanted it fixed. Also they fixed it after pushing and them trying to do it twice. Overall still happy with the end result but Lexus bmw or Mercedes would not have these issues
Privacy? You are the one that made a big deal of an issue on this forum, with no evidence or photos. Why even make a post?

Every mfg has some production issues or damage in transit. If you feel Lexus bmw or Mercedes are better - then vote with you $$$ and go purchase one.

Nice job on not accepting defects and willing to walk away instead of putting up with this lack of quality standards. Kudos! Congrats on the new car.
Thanks! So far the car is superb aside from the initial cosmetic defects. The red with 19in wheels looks pretty sleek - kinda what I would imagine is if you pumped a red Ferrari full of steroids to look like.

I also subscribed to FSD just to try it out. Not sure I'd buy the full FSD but considering the enhanced autopilot - it does change how I drive in a valuable way - although not sure it's $6k valuable.