Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN assigned 11/22. Expected Delivery 12/6-12/16. How to postpone delivery to January? Austin or Fremont build better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all... new to posting... but I've followed the forum for some time now. I know there's a lot of posts and discussions about the tax credit issue, but I've been unable to find anyone else that has an expected delivery for December to see how they're approaching this.

-Ordered a MYLR (white exterior, white interior, no other upgrades) in March of 2022. Like most, my expected delivery date has jumped all over the place between August 2022-January 2023.

-Received VIN on Nov 22. Expected delivery Dec 6-16. According to the VIN, it's a Fremont build (11th numeral "F") and a 2023 model (10th numeral "P").

I would qualify for the full tax credit of $7500 if I took delivery after 12/31/22.

I assume there's a ton of folks in the same predicament... seems like everyone is getting their VIN for their model Y right now (makes you wonder if there will be quality control issues trying to pump out so many vehicles before end of Q4?).

Has anyone successfully postponed their delivery to 2023? And if so, how did you do it? I know about the 30 day clause in the order agreement... but I'm reading all sorts of different stories from folks before December 2022, and none related to anyone expecting delivery in December 2022.

Also... any advantages to getting an MYLR Austin build vs. a Fremont build? I'm finding the Fremont comes with Matrix lights, and Austin comes with magnetic console and a cargo cover/privacy screen.

And before anyone would like to chime in and simply say "you placed the order, accept delivery when it's ready", I'll probably wind up doing just that. But I think it's reasonable to explore taking advantage of a $7500 tax credit if possible.

Thank you for any constructive responses in advance! I'd really love to find other folks who are expecting delivery in December who have successfully moved their delivery January.

Has anyone successfully postponed their delivery to 2023? And if so, how did you do it?
I've done some research on this forum, on Reddit, and from calling various Tesla delivery people so hopefully this is accurate:

If your original estimated delivery date (I'll call it "OEDD" from now on to make this less verbose) when you placed your order has past (ex September 2022), you cannot place a hold on your order. If your OEDD has yet to come (January 2023 for example), you can place a hold until then. People have been successful delaying their order to 2023 because their OEDD has yet to come.

I've called Tesla asking for a hold because of various health issues (ones I have documentation of, so it's not me trying to get the tax credit) and they denied my request; it looks like they will not/cannot place a hold on your order once your OEDD has passed, no excuses.

Once you get your 1st VIN, you can place a one-time courtesy hold of a week. After a week, the hold will be automatically removed. Once you get your 2nd VIN, you cannot delay any further; should you reject delivery again, your order will be automatically cancelled and you forfeit the $250 order fee. You are also given only 3 days from once the vehicle arrives at your local delivery center to schedule delivery.

If I were you, I would do the math and see if a $7500 credit would make a difference if you had to cancel the order & reordering vs taking delivery this year. If you ordered before I believe March 15th, the base cost has gone up $6k so it might be worth having Tesla cancel your original order and reordering in 2023 to save the $1k after paying the order fees. Remember for 2023 you must have a federal tax liability of over $7500 to get the full credit when it's time to do your tax returns; in 2024 the credit will be placed at the time of purchase.

For me, because I live in CA and my order was before the 15th of March, I still qualify for CA's $4500 clean air credit so I will likely keep my order even if I accept delivery this year.

I've done some research on this forum, on Reddit, and from calling various Tesla delivery people so hopefully this is accurate:

If your original estimated delivery date (I'll call it "OEDD" from now on to make this less verbose) when you placed your order has past (ex September 2022), you cannot place a hold on your order. If your OEDD has yet to come (January 2023 for example), you can place a hold until then. People have been successful delaying their order to 2023 because their OEDD has yet to come.

I've called Tesla asking for a hold because of various health issues (ones I have documentation of, so it's not me trying to get the tax credit) and they denied my request; it looks like they will not/cannot place a hold on your order once your OEDD has passed, no excuses.

Once you get your 1st VIN, you can place a one-time courtesy hold of a week. After a week, the hold will be automatically removed. Once you get your 2nd VIN, you cannot delay any further; should you reject delivery again, your order will be automatically cancelled and you forfeit the $250 order fee. You are also given only 3 days from once the vehicle arrives at your local delivery center to schedule delivery.

If I were you, I would do the math and see if a $7500 credit would make a difference if you had to cancel the order & reordering vs taking delivery this year. If you ordered before I believe March 15th, the base cost has gone up $6k so it might be worth having Tesla cancel your original order and reordering in 2023 to save the $1k after paying the order fees. Remember for 2023 you must have a federal tax liability of over $7500 to get the full credit when it's time to do your tax returns; in 2024 the credit will be placed at the time of purchase.

For me, because I live in CA and my order was before the 15th of March, I still qualify for CA's $4500 clean air credit so I will likely keep my order even if I accept delivery this year.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with this topic so thoughtfully. It all makes total sense. My wife and I actually spoke more in-depth about this today (the tax benefits of buying this year vs. next).

In short, our OEDD was August. So I guess there's really no way for us to postpone until January. Even if I decline the first VIN, chances are they'll have another car ready before the end of the year. After discussions with my wife, I think that's what we're actually hoping for at this point.

We run a small business, full time. Typically our write offs put us in the 'green' with our taxes (IE- no federal tax liability). So it sounds like the $7500 incentive wouldn't amount to much anyway. What may be a better for us, at least for the 2022 tax year, is to take delivery this year so we can get the tax write off benefit if we make the vehicle for business only use. We had a really good year (event industry... huge bounce-back from the pandemic this past year) so any legitimate write offs we can find will help tremendously.

And, who knows, maybe they'll wind up grandfathering in folks who take delivery this year anyway at the end of the day. I'm sure local representatives are getting an earful from their constituents about getting the short end of the stick over these federal tax credits.

We've concluded it would be best for us to take delivery this year if at all possible. So I hope our delivery stays on track!

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

How did you get the 4500 number from? I thought it is only 2k.

I ordered it in Feb 2022 and checked the current price vs Feb price it is 7000 different and it does not worth for me to cancel and reorder.

1. I will lost the order fee from Feb order.
2. I will need to pay for more sales tax due to the sale price is higher
3. I will not get the coupon for a free mobile charger.

So, after all calculation on my situation, I will lost money by Refusing to take the delivery. But of course, I would love to get the 7500 credit but at this stage, I will apply for the clear air rebate from CA.

How did you get the 4500 number from? I thought it is only 2k.

I ordered it in Feb 2022 and checked the current price vs Feb price it is 7000 different and it does not worth for me to cancel and reorder.

1. I will lost the order fee from Feb order.
2. I will need to pay for more sales tax due to the sale price is higher
3. I will not get the coupon for a free mobile charger.

So, after all calculation on my situation, I will lost money by Refusing to take the delivery. But of course, I would love to get the 7500 credit but at this stage, I will apply for the clear air rebate from CA.
You are right, it is $2k. I was looking at current rebates and thought that translated over. My apologies.

Reactions: theocguy
You are right, it is $2k. I was looking at current rebates and thought that translated over. My apologies.
Man, I thought for the moment there was a new 4.5k from CA that I said not know.

Anyhow, I will apply for the 2k rebate as soon as I get the car registration from DMV. Still waiting for almost a month for my M3RWD’s license plate and registration form from DMV.

👆 this exact situation happened to me. I could no longer take delivery and my order from March 2022 for a base (no add-ons) MSM MYLR was cancelled. I received a new VIN the very next day after the hold was lifted. Oh well…

Thank you guys for a detailed post. I am in a similar situation with 7k discount and got 2nd Vin/delivery assigned. I really counted on the Tax credit when I ordered. Canceling to tax credit will be a wash. But there may be a IL tax credit.. Wonder to take delivery and sell the car later and reorder again later to get the tax credit..

Are you saying you can only put a hold of 7 day if an VIN is assigned? Without the assigned VIN they would let you place a hold until the OEDD?
I texted the SA twice and he kept on telling me to revisit this after I get a vin.

Thank you guys for a detailed post. I am in a similar situation with 7k discount and got 2nd Vin/delivery assigned. I really counted on the Tax credit when I ordered. Canceling to tax credit will be a wash. But there may be a IL tax credit.. Wonder to take delivery and sell the car later and reorder again later to get the tax credit..
Not sure what it is about reorder again later to get the tax credit. I thought your order was locked at the lower price and the 7.5k tax credit would be a wash if you order in 2023.

Not sure what it is about reorder again later to get the tax credit. I thought your order was locked at the lower price and the 7.5k tax credit would be a wash if you order in 2023.
Yes, looks like I can take either option, but was hoping to get Tax credit as well when I placed the order. Now it is so close to being eligible for tax credit, and with all the prices coming down, makes me wonder if it would be right decision to splurge money on an expensive car!

Hello all... new to posting... but I've followed the forum for some time now. I know there's a lot of posts and discussions about the tax credit issue, but I've been unable to find anyone else that has an expected delivery for December to see how they're approaching this.

-Ordered a MYLR (white exterior, white interior, no other upgrades) in March of 2022. Like most, my expected delivery date has jumped all over the place between August 2022-January 2023.

-Received VIN on Nov 22. Expected delivery Dec 6-16. According to the VIN, it's a Fremont build (11th numeral "F") and a 2023 model (10th numeral "P").

I would qualify for the full tax credit of $7500 if I took delivery after 12/31/22.

I assume there's a ton of folks in the same predicament... seems like everyone is getting their VIN for their model Y right now (makes you wonder if there will be quality control issues trying to pump out so many vehicles before end of Q4?).

Has anyone successfully postponed their delivery to 2023? And if so, how did you do it? I know about the 30 day clause in the order agreement... but I'm reading all sorts of different stories from folks before December 2022, and none related to anyone expecting delivery in December 2022.

Also... any advantages to getting an MYLR Austin build vs. a Fremont build? I'm finding the Fremont comes with Matrix lights, and Austin comes with magnetic console and a cargo cover/privacy screen.

And before anyone would like to chime in and simply say "you placed the order, accept delivery when it's ready", I'll probably wind up doing just that. But I think it's reasonable to explore taking advantage of a $7500 tax credit if possible.

Thank you for any constructive responses in advance! I'd really love to find other folks who are expecting delivery in December who have successfully moved their delivery January.
I ordered my MY in August with an EDD in April 2023 to July. I wanted the tax credit so I called to ask about a hold. I was told I could place the order on a hold only up to the original EDD.

I just took the order off hold. Just so everyone knows. It's a tax credit, not a tax refund. The $7,500 can be applied to a tax debt you owe. Let's say in 2024 when you do your taxes and say you owe $1,500. This amount will be reduced to zero using the credit, but you will not get any of the unused $6,000 credit.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I ordered my MY in August with an EDD in April 2023 to July. I wanted the tax credit so I called to ask about a hold. I was told I could place the order on a hold only up to the original EDD.

I just took the order off hold. Just so everyone knows. It's a tax credit, not a tax refund. The $7,500 can be applied to a tax debt you owe. Let's say in 2024 when you do your taxes and say you owe $1,500. This amount will be reduced to zero using the credit, but you will not get any of the unused $6,000 credit.
Got a link/source?
I can confirm Tesla is offering a $3750 rebate on both the Model Y and Model 3 if you accept delivery in December. I took delivery of a new 2023 Model 3 on December 14th and I got the $3750. They are trying to incentivize people to pick up their cars this month instead of waiting for January and Tex credit. Please note they are not offering this rebate on the X or S as neither of those cars will qualify for the tax credit in January because of their price.

I can confirm Tesla is offering a $3750 rebate on both the Model Y and Model 3 if you accept delivery in December. I took delivery of a new 2023 Model 3 on December 14th and I got the $3750. They are trying to incentivize people to pick up their cars this month instead of waiting for January and Tex credit. Please note they are not offering this rebate on the X or S as neither of those cars will qualify for the tax credit in January because of their price.
latest data says model x is getting 10,000 free supercharging miles for December deliveries.