Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Trial FSD, What DoYou Think About It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the FSDS visualization, too.

How does it make driving safer?

I also think the visualizations add to safety. I can see the cars all around me including the blind spots. If you activate a turn signal when a car is about to enter the blind spot, the image of the approaching car turns red to warn you. I think this feature is so good that I have deactivated my blind spot cameras.

So, what happened to the visualizations of all the orange traffic cones and the garbage cans? Is it just because it can cause too much visual salad during FSD driving? I really hope the system does see those still.

Another quirk I noticed the other day was that an ambulance passing through the intersection I was stopped at, with its sirens and emergency lights on, and of all the cars and trucks the screen was displaying, it actually didn't display that ambulance whatsoever. That is troubling.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Still no cones or cans. Now all I see (and only sometimes) is light grey 2-D squares on the road visualizations as I pass them.

I tried FSD again today on a 55mph highway and it seemed to only want to drive with the tires going over the very most rough areas in the lanes making the drive miserable. I do understand it can't inspect the road surface or detect potholes. It made the twists and turns without going off the road, but didn't seem to slow down one bit in tighter turns making me feel like it was about to slide off the roadway. I would have slowed down a bit on those same turns if I was driving. I turned it off after a bit. I still don't trust it to make decent driving decisions. Still very much beta in my opinion.

Reactions: dusty22
I saw some cones today. When returning home, no cones along the same route. They seem to appear and disappear. Otherwise, I'm not comfortable using it. As you point out, it doesn't detect bad spots on roads that I would normally take evasive action to avoid.

Well, I thought I was quite done with the testing, but once more unto the breach... Tonight the thing decided to slow for a simple stop sign in an intersection with no other cars or pedestrians present. It stopped so slowly, and from a farther distance than I though was reasonably possible that if I had another car behind me they would have blown past and around me in a fit of rage. It was if some elderly person in a wheel chair was trying to cross the street.

Then, after a couple seconds of deciding if it was clear enough to proceed (nobody was there), it rocketed away faster than I ever have done. Note, the FSD settings were in "Chill" mode, just as my normal settings are without FSD. My DriveSafe app noted an acceleration transgression at that point, as I knew it would have, and of course, my score was reduced.

I am done. $15,000, $12,000, $10,000, $8,000... I wouldn't spend a dime on this crap.

Reactions: Transformer
Well, I thought I was quite done with the testing, but once more unto the breach... Tonight the thing decided to slow for a simple stop sign in an intersection with no other cars or pedestrians present. It stopped so slowly, and from a farther distance than I though was reasonably possible that if I had another car behind me they would have blown past and around me in a fit of rage. It was if some elderly person in a wheel chair was trying to cross the street.

Then, after a couple seconds of deciding if it was clear enough to proceed (nobody was there), it rocketed away faster than I ever have done. Note, the FSD settings were in "Chill" mode, just as my normal settings are without FSD. My DriveSafe app noted an acceleration transgression at that point, as I knew it would have, and of course, my score was reduced.

I've had similar experiences. As long as I have FSD, I want to learn as much as I can. I am going to try the 'aggressive' setting with back street stop signs and see what it does.