Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forum Members Unhappy Over Wait for P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ABSOTOTO*******LOUTLY ... as long as someone tells me how long I have to wait.

I strongly recommend some Pranayama. It's tough given that you have 2 cars ordered and have already sold your current ones ?? that's more optimistic than me :tongue: think of something nice and forget the word tesla for a week. I don't want to see you back in this thread for a week. Cheers to your good health ;)

I've owned lots of cars over many years, but nothing compares to a Tesla. Taking into account all the amazing technology and thoughtful design it embodies, I don't mind the wait at all. In our roll as an authorized Tesla collision repair facility, we have occasion to work closely with them on a regular basis. This is a first class organization in almost every way. Honest and altruistic. There are many new employees, they are growing very fast and sometimes they get confused or make a mistake. Whenever that happens they knock themselves out to help the customer. I have almost 40 years experience comprised of tens of thousands of transactions with all makes and models. None of them even come close to the level of service they give us and the customers.
Also, in my long career in aviation I've had occasion to fly and or own everything from WW2 biplanes to corporate jets. A good friend had an early TBM aircraft like the one mentioned previously. Due to a design defect, an inner landing gear door failed and jammed causing a wheels up landing at their authorized service center in Rice Lake WI. It took Socata over a year to fix it. Aviation customer service is often measured in months not days.

I'll agree with all those who say the car tends to be worth the wait. I won't agree that it changes anything or excused them though. Tesla always has had an issue with communication, and that doesn't seem to have changed here. Glad you're cooled down now Osama, and I do feel for you. Been there myself.

I'll agree with all those who say the car tends to be worth the wait. I won't agree that it changes anything or excused them though. Tesla always has had an issue with communication, and that doesn't seem to have changed here. Glad you're cooled down now Osama, and I do feel for you. Been there myself.

All true. And maybe when you're feeling the delays on the "D" are infuriating, just remember the people that have been waiting on the Model X for over two years. Their last delay was something like half a year!

"At least I'm not waiting a year!"
*Deep Breath*

Good luck to all those waiting. You are still early adopters and all of us buying at a later time appreciate that you are paving the way for us.

I ordered a P85 in August that was supposed to have a 6-8 week delivery and ended up being a December delivery (which I cancelled) and now here I am with 2 P85Ds not knowing anything about the delivery and no cars in the household.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that you benefited tremendously from Tesla's delay on your original P85 order. Imagine how you would have felt had you taken delivery in September of a P85 which did not have Autopilot sensors and could only accelerate from zero to sixty in 3.9-4.2 seconds instead of the true Supercar acceleration you'll be experiencing with your multiple P85D purchase? Does that really not take the sting out of the delay for you? Would you really be happier if your P85's were delivered a few weeks early and you missed out on the P85D?

Now is a great time to decorate your garage, install your electrical service, commiserate with us others who are in the same boat, and just chill. It is difficult to find painters that can match the red color of my new P85D and superimpose the Tesla name and logo on it. Just busy doing prep work. I trust Tesla is doing its best to try and comply with December delivery dates but life happens when you are making plans to do something else.

3123996_f260.jpg

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that you benefited tremendously from Tesla's delay on your original P85 order. Imagine how you would have felt had you taken delivery in September of a P85 which did not have Autopilot sensors and could only accelerate from zero to sixty in 3.9-4.2 seconds instead of the true Supercar acceleration you'll be experiencing with your multiple P85D purchase? Does that really not take the sting out of the delay for you? Would you really be happier if your P85's were delivered a few weeks early and you missed out on the P85D?

Yep.

The OP would be climbing another whole set of walls if he had taken delivery on his original P85 order.
He would already have his original car(s), so he would have the car he ordered.
Very soon he would then be distraught by not having the P85D's performance and other features.
And he would be getting in another queue to sell his brand new car (and take the financial hit) and wait for his new P85D.

One simply cannot have it both ways.

Great things come to those who wait.

Personally, My car was promised on 12/26. I will be on vacation from 12/21 -1/2. I couldn't take delivery until 1/6. So the wait for me is no big deal. Maybe I'll get it on the 6th maybe I won't. Bitchin never changed the outcome anyway.

Tesla is constantly improving its assembly process and the vehicle itself, especially on a new configuration like the D. Would you rather get you car "on time" or a few weeks later and get the benefit of some of those early production tweaks?

This reply (more or less selected at random from many other similar ones) misses the primary point of osama's rant. He is not so much objecting to the delay itself, but to the lack of information about the delay. He's not so much arguing that he should be provided the car on the promised date with bugs as that he should be able to expect clear communications about the status and projected resolution.

Personally, I'm not as stressed and I can imagine that the details about the delays and their resolution might be information relevant to the valuation of Tesla and therefore something they are concerned about releasing on a limited basis. I know that there are things I have purchased for a whole lot less money that came with better customer service. I don't think I've ever been contacted by Tesla once to provide me information about the car -- every interaction I've ever had with them was one that I instigated.

I totally understand why the OP is upset...

His custom car is a "project" and a successful project is "on time, on spec, on budget". I work in the government, so REALLY don't have room to talk... But at the moment, Tesla does a poor job on 2 of them and is questionable on the third (exceeding spec at the expense of the other 2 is the point, but not really sure if they have documented specs from the get-go). Tesla, of course, wouldn't be the only company doing poorly in project management. But it's really obvious with Tesla, when they make self imposed due dates they fail to met. I could give them a copy of MS Project, if that might help :tongue:

It sounds like OP is INCREDIBLY impatient. Order your car and wait instead of ordering, cancelling, ordering, cancelling..... If I were a TM employee and seen your account submitting multiple orders and then cancelling them, I'd squelch your account. IMHO

Some of it is impatience, but some of it is also horrible communication.

I've waited a year three times for a custom made BMW M3 (twice), and a custom made Porsche 997 Turbo. One of the times there was a delay due to a defective seatbelt that was discovered while the car was in shipping, and resulted in a month-long wait. The other two times, the car was on time, as promised.

In all 3 cases, I received accurate communication explaining the issue and providing feedback on when to expect delivery or more information. Tesla's information is inaccurate, infrequent, and unreliable.

Tesla has set the expectations that they are failing to meet.

Personally, I am frustrated, but attempting to be patient, as this will PROBABLY only be a 1-2 week delay, and I am still excited for the car -- but I do not think the emotions are totally unjustified.