Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of people who won't buy the Leaf just because of the way it looks and at least they made 240v charging the default.
AFAIK, the onboard charger on the Focus will be 240V (like all EV chargers). It is unheard of to have that as an option and have one that supports only 110V.

Are you talking about the EVSE? Nissan doesn't include that as standard equipment in the Leaf and I don't think they changed this in the 2012 model either.

I know the onboard charger on the Focus is 240v, that's what I was saying. I was assuming that the standard charger on the Leaf was 120v and that an optional upgrade was required to enable charging at 240v. This, I was guessing, was the reason Ford could claim to be able to charge the Focus in half the time needed for the Leaf.

Possibly, but Nissan says 100 miles, so possibly the Focus can get up to 120 as well. Like the price, we just don't know eh?
Focus has 23 kwh battery compared to 24kwh of Leaf (whatever that means). Focus also won't be as efficient as Leaf (mpge between Volt's and Leaf's).

Leaf's 100 miles is LA-04 cycle. Ford hasn't said anything about std. cycles when saying upto 100 miles.

I think Focus's EPA range will come around 70 compared to 73 for Leaf.

Q&A post on the Care2.com site.
Jul 25, 2011 Introducing the Electric Ford Focus by Jake Richardson
We are building the Focus Electric to look like and perform like a gas powered vehicle. Just because someone wants to drive an electric vehicle doesn’t mean they should sacrifice anything from amenities inside the vehicle to expectations of durability and safety. Our goal is to build an all electric vehicle that delivers the same driving enjoyment as any of our other vehicles
I guess that's one way to spin just converting your existing ICE car. That's fine. But my gripe would be this:

focus-2011-01-10-800-07.jpg

Ford Focus Electric pops a hatch and shows all that battery junk in its trunk -- Engadget

This just goes to show that many auto manufacturers are not committed to building EVs. If they were, their models would be built from the ground up and would have sufficient trunk and/or cargo space.
Exactly. The focus ev looks like it was designed and built by a high school auto class.

Exactly. The focus ev looks like it was designed and built by a high school auto class.

Maybe ford is thinking since it only has 100 mile range and no fast charging capabilities, drivers won't be hauling tons of stuff (which isn't true, a trip to ikea would disprove that) or because it's a hatch back they feel that you can just fold down the seats for large cargo.

What IS all that stuff??? It looks like an ICE!
Maybe that was rhetorical... But stuff like the inverter, A/C controller, DC/DC converter, coolant lines, aux battery, oh and the motor is buried under there somewhere!
Not exactly the most integrated design. Like some are saying, it seems a bit like an aftermarket conversion.