Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Follow up to employee termination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, this happens to many great Sales Executives who think outside the box, and find that going outside, may scare the heck out of the higher ups who live in a rigid, status quo, don't make waves environment, to please their shareholders The disconnect usually results in great sales personnel to be summarily thrown under the bus, and out the door... Our current corporate environment in the USA breeds this mentality, unfortunately, and it's only getting worse...

Part of the problem with the internet is that the line between blogging sites and actual journalists is far more hazy than it should be. If bloggers want to be journalists they need to consistently demonstrate the behaviors that professional journalists are supposed to.

Electrek is just a glorified blogging site. I mean what other reputable news source has their own writers post referral links to the product they are writing about?

I just noticed that Aaron stated got fired 3 days before his company stock options would have vested. Not the first time we've heard that story. Pretty disgusting. Glad OP is back on his feet now. He's probably in a much better place anyways.

Yeah you could almost make a case that that was intentional. If Tesla had a humane HR department, someone would have noticed that, and forwarded dated his termination by three days. It literally wouldn’t have affected anyone or anything at Tesla. But it had a big effect on Aaron. As it is, it is almost retribution. Then again, my experience in companies is that the usually lower paid and female HR staff have little love for the higher paid, male, and aggressive sales staff, so there you go.

Reactions: Jxtheone
A poster handing on the wall in one of my Client's offices:
"Failure is an Option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough"
-- Elon Musk

Yes, and he even expected Tesla to fail. This is from his 60 Minutes interview:

Scott Pelley: How did you figure you were going to start a car company and be successful at it?

Elon Musk: Well, I didn't really think Tesla would be successful. I thought we would most likely fail. But I thought that we at least could address the false perception that people have that an electric car had to be ugly and slow and boring like a golf cart.

Scott Pelley: But you say you didn't expect the company to be successful? Then why try?

Elon Musk: If something's important enough you should try. Even if you — the probable outcome is failure.

Lol. "Adjustment". If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a god damn duck. Or a discount in this case.

Agreed. Elon seemed to get upset when he heard about the discounts and he needs to tell us why this is allowed. I can see it if these were actually showroom cars that had people all over them in showrooms but I doubt that's the case.

Last edited:
Yeah you could almost make a case that that was intentional. If Tesla had a humane HR department, someone would have noticed that, and forwarded dated his termination by three days. It literally wouldn’t have affected anyone or anything at Tesla. But it had a big effect on Aaron. As it is, it is almost retribution. Then again, my experience in companies is that the usually lower paid and female HR staff have little love for the higher paid, male, and aggressive sales staff, so there you go.

Tesla's stock price was around $200 in the middle of Oct 2016. A year later it was around $350. Whatever positions Aaron held, they would have been worth 75% more had he made it to his 1st year anniversary. Ouch.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget and Swift
I just noticed that Aaron stated got fired 3 days before his company stock options would have vested. Not the first time we've heard that story. Pretty disgusting. Glad OP is back on his feet now. He's probably in a much better place anyways.
If Aaron was fired 3 days before his stock options were vested and hugh payroll incentives were to be issued, then I would expect Tesla to make good on what he had earned or had coming to him. Otherwise, technically you are breeding a situation in which your pay is in jeopardy each day, or at least till you clock out each day.
Aaron's termination 3 days before a milestone that cost him not only his job, stock options, & his performance earnings, (which he had already earned & provided a bonus to Tesla), is indeed spiteful at best and I'm sure somehow, can be construed as financially illegal??
I want my SA to do what is best for Tesla and ME!
Call me and let me decide when a 'Deal" is imminent, a Tesla sold is just that, a car sold.

(PS, it's still happening and I support it!)

End of year inventory deals (HUGE Adjustments)

Otherwise, technically you are breeding a situation in which your pay is in jeopardy each day, or at least till you clock out each day.

Isn't that true of every employee at every job? The issue, as I see it, is whether Tesla had just cause for his termination. If so, he's probably out of luck when it comes to the ramifications of his termination. But I do agree it looks really bad especially since they could have waited three days for his stock options to vest, and more importantly because what he did appears to still be ongoing to this day as you point out in your link. This part of the link you posted I find odd:

Hey all,
My Tesla contact sent me lots of highly adjusted cars today. However, you have to be able to take delivery this year in order to buy them. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll see which cars are in your region. I've posted some of the cars as an example below.

In that thread, I asked @Product_Guy if he works for Tesla since, if he does, it seems odd to me that Tesla appears to be insulating the sales people through an intermediately who posts here, and who has contacts all over apparently. Also, why say "my Tesla contact" which comes across to me as if he is one of us, and not working for Tesla? I guess he could just be a friend of the contact and helping him out, and has no interest in any of the sales he is promoting himself except to help out his contact, but that also makes little sense to me since he has contacts all over, apparently.

Hopefully, he replies to my question in that thread and explains it to us. As it stands, it sure looks fishy to me. I won't say deceptive because there could be a valid explanation and I'm hoping that's the case when he replies to this issue.

It seems like Tesla wants to offer discounts to drive quarterly sales, but doesn't want to tell anyone they're doing so. Like having and eating their cake sort of scenario.
Which is weird. Just offer discounts like everyone, so simple.

I like fixed prices over bargaining and discounts. Actually, that's an understatement - I truly hate the bargaining game of traditional car dealers. It's not fair and preys on anyone they deem as weak:

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2539&context=fss_papers

I thought this was what Elon was trying to avoid with fixed prices. No more games or gender/race discrimination. When you bargain for an item in third world countries, woman are also quoted higher. When we went to buy my wife's BMW, I came home from work, changed out of my suit and tie, and put jeans and a sweatshirt on since I'm convinced the more well-off you look you get quoted higher prices, at least initially until you play hardball back. All that nonsense just to buy a damn vehicle.

But is it worse to say you have fixed prices but then use underhanded tactics to bend (or actually break) that rule? That just breeds ill will by those who paid full price after being told there are no discounts. I'm not saying Tesla is doing this but...

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a god damn duck. Or a discount in this case.

That's difficult to argue with but I am willing to give Tesla the benefit of any doubt at this time while we wait for @Product_Guy to explain these discounts, if he does.

I like fixed prices over bargaining and discounts. Actually, that's an understatement - I truly hate the bargaining game of traditional car dealers. It's not fair and preys on anyone they deem as weak:

Hey, me too. I also like no advertising.

But if company needs discounts and advertising to reach their sales goals, I prefer honest the goodness discounts and advertising over clandestine tactics like these. Just offer open discounts/discount campaigns (different from haggling) and advertise them traditionally. Problem solved.