Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ninjas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was my second time buying a Tesla. The first time last year was weird, but I guess I was lucky I walked in the SC and the guy took car of it on his side. Happened to be a competent dude I must admit.

I am now buying a Model X. With a trade in. The whole process in the app is so crazy. Multiple messages, in the app, and separate SMSs on my cell phone and emails. Several random Tesla people jumping in, appearing to be completely incompetents, little kids. Thus the title "ninjas". I sometimes laugh. It's is so frustratig, yet, funny. None of these kids has a clue what is going on. It is such a mess. None is taking responsibility and coordinating the communication chain, and tasks. Big mess. I ask for names, and must have gotten 12 various names already in my messages on app, SMS on phone, and emails.

I could go on and on the various items, but it's not productive. For example, my trade in has an outstanding loan. At purchase in the app, they asked me to enter the loan number, lender name, outstanding balance amount, monthly payments, etc. etc. which I promptly did. But, they put the entire trade in amount offer (disregarding the outstanding loan amount) as a down payment. Obviously that is not right. Now they have to reapply for my credit. Insane. They also asked me just today less than two days from scheduled delivery to get a 10-year loan payoff quote and submit to them. While already submitted my loan info at the beginning of the process in the app. I have been buying and trading in cars for 25+ years, with traditional dealers, and they all took care of payoff amount with the current lender for the trade in on their side. I simply had to give them the details on my current loan.

There is so many of these things. One more thing, the monthly payment (given the loan amount, APR, and the 60 month loan duration) is off by a few dollars on the upside. Regardless of the online calculator I use or my own spreadsheet. Every single one of them. How can they get it so wrong? It's only about 5 bucks a month, but, just for the principle of it.

You would think they would take care of a person buying $80K+++ vehicle. But it does not appear they give a schiit, and want my money

I am now thinking of backing out of this transaction. Fcuk my $250 deposit. I love my MYP and really want the X, but I don't think I can put up with this BS. I have already wasted hours of my time dealing with this. Never have encounted such a disjointed process, company, and people. This is insane. I understand there is a trade-in involved (with an oustanding loan), but, if you cannot handle this "complication", don't offer it.

Last edited:
Welcome. Yeah, I guess all of the above which thankfully never experienced as I just sold my previous car (a Tesla) as a private party, but wait till you get into the refined experience of owning an X and taking it for service. This is my 3rd Tesla and the other 2 (Y snd 3) had a total of 2 service visits excluding some trivial stuff w mobile service. The X though is at 8 including scheduled next week. Will give it a chance to stabilize but hard not to sour on the experience a bit. It’s a shame as it could be the best suv out there, yet they could never quite figure out the manufacturing art of it. But if you get a worry free and well built sample, then it should be worth the pain. A gamble though.

The Model X is always going to need
As for the emails and texts... shouldn't all communications be through the app? Better make sure you're talking to the right people.
The Model X is always going to need more service than the 3/Y... those doors alone are a maintenance nightmare.

As for the emails and texts... shouldn't all communications be through the app? Better make sure you're talking to the right people.

The Model X is always going to need more service than the 3/Y... those doors alone are a maintenance nightmare.

Not sure what you guys are saying or whether you actually read my post. I understand, too long for gen Z folks. I don’t blame you.

This is ordering experience. Nothing to do with service. I don’t own the Model X yet

I appreciate you jumping in though, regardless of content. It’s all about eyeballs these days 😂🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😉

I’m not gen Z, I’m just saying if you think ordering is a mess just wait till you get the ownership experience of an X, but sorry if that’s off topic - kind of is, but it’s a continuation of the experience. For every issue Tesla fixed in service, they created a new one. Perhaps it’s a a company wide dysfunction, not just your order experience. Good luck.

Not sure what you guys are saying or whether you actually read my post. I understand, too long for gen Z folks. I don’t blame you.

This is ordering experience. Nothing to do with service. I don’t own the Model X yet

I appreciate you jumping in though, regardless of content. It’s all about eyeballs these days 😂🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😉

Regardless of the generation..... :rolleyes: and I'm not even part of that generation...

I've bought two Teslas, none of which involved communication with SA via text. Sure, I receive a text when there's a message in my Tesla app, but not communicating that way. It's a valid response to check who you are communicating with.

This division of Tesla is in business to sell cars. That's what they do, so of course they want to sell you the car you ordered. If there is confusion, stop in your local Tesla store to discuss.

Remember, this is a car forum and most likely represents a small percentage of the overall population of Tesla owners. People come online to complain and discuss problems all the time, but rarely come online to say how great everything is.

Regardless of the generation..... :rolleyes: and I'm not even part of that generation...

I've bought two Teslas, none of which involved communication with SA via text. Sure, I receive a text when there's a message in my Tesla app, but not communicating that way. It's a valid response to check who you are communicating with.

This division of Tesla is in business to sell cars. That's what they do, so of course they want to sell you the car you ordered. If there is confusion, stop in your local Tesla store to discuss.

Remember, this is a car forum and most likely represents a small percentage of the overall population of Tesla owners. People come online to complain and discuss problems all the time, but rarely come online to say how great everything is.
I appreciate you chiming in. I understand the complaint part of participating in forums, although I am here since my first Tesla last year, with zero complaints.

Text messages are legit. So are the emails. I verified via app chat, and phone call.

I am here at SC delivery center as I write this. Quite busy here. I am waiting in line to talk to an actual person

OP here with an update: visit in person was successful. Problems solved / sorted out. They were actually able to speed up delivery for today, instead of scheduled delivery tomorrow. Car was in the lot. I picked it up this afternoon. Good things happen when face to face / in person. The Tesla guys were competent and very efficient & fast. I am happy with the outcome.

Hey grandpa go back to a Cadillac. Holy hell insulting people when you ask for help?