Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a week before Franfurt, here's a teaser image of the Fisker Surf:

6121166920_54d93e1bb0_o.jpg

Fisker Surf | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I suppose this is the shooting-brake/wagon version of the Karma, which apparently you can mount a surfboard on top.
fisker-karma-surf-profile.jpg

Fisker Surf discussion went here.

I don't understand what the hold up is. The standard for PHEVs has already set for the Chevy Volt. Apply those same standard to the Karma and poof you have the MPGe and MPG. I'm thinking that Fisker altering the exhaust system last minute might have caused the Karma's testing to have to be started all over again.

I say that's most likely the case.

I say that's most likely the case.
And that just shows again that Fisker seems unable to deal with the issues of actually producing a car. He is outsourcing most work and still he gets stuff wrong again and again. This really shows that Tesla has done much better work using experienced car people and still manages to do things their own way.
Let's just say I'm very curious how well the Fisker brand keeps up, the Roadster doesn't sell that well and it's a lot more fish than the Karma which ends up as a neither fish nor fowl limbo state.

Cobos

Well to be fair, Tesla had its share of issues as well, and actually producing a car is an immense undertaking. From what I've heard about the Nina, it sounds like Fisker is learning from some of their Karma mistakes. Of course in the meantime, they have to ship the vehicle they have (which has some inherent flaws).

I too am curious to see how well Fisker holds up. Particularly since they have a $0.5B gov't loan (and given the recent failure of another similarly sized loan recipient).

Well to be fair, Tesla had its share of issues as well, and actually producing a car is an immense undertaking. From what I've heard about the Nina, it sounds like Fisker is learning from some of their Karma mistakes. Of course in the meantime, they have to ship the vehicle they have (which has some inherent flaws).

I too am curious to see how well Fisker holds up. Particularly since they have a $0.5B gov't loan (and given the recent failure of another similarly sized loan recipient).

Yes Tesla is not perfect either.

I'm guessing Fisker will bite the dust because of the fact that there is little to no chance of selling their vehicles at their price point and in the numbers needed to stay afloat.

I'm guessing Fisker will bite the dust because of the fact that there is little to no chance of selling their vehicles at their price point and in the numbers needed to stay afloat.
A distinct possibility. Their sales goals seem rather optimistic (again so were the Roadster's). If Fisker does fail, though, that would suck for the DOE (and the tax payer). I for one, wish them much success and hope they make the best cars they can. I think there's plenty of room in the luxury PHEV space, though the odds are against them.

I'm hoping Fisker has learned from his mistake that form can't trump function every single time, there has to be a compromise of form so that the car is useable. I think the Surf points to Fisker listening to complaints of: The Karma is billed as an uber luxury car great for getaways (thanks to its generator), It seats 4 but it only has room for one overnight bag. The surf addressed this issue and the cargo capacity (and rear seat) are bigger. the Surf is not perfect and that box in the back makes the cargo area weird, but at least now you can take a trip and not have to flip your undies inside out lol.

As for the Nina, Fisker hopefully will figure out how to hide the batteries better or trunk space will suffer again

If Fisker does fail, though, that would suck for the DOE (and the tax payer).

I'm pretty sure that they don't actually get access to the money until/unless it's for production of the Nina. Unlike a TARP bailout, the money isn't given to the company for them to do what they please with it, with the hope that they pay it back (with interest) someday. The law was written with very specific pre-conditions that have to be met before they get access to the money (really, more like a line of credit), and they can only draw down on the money as they use it for the Nina -- i.e., to prepare the plant for production, buy parts, design costs etc. I'd guess that they've gotten very little of the $.5 billion to date.

but at least now you can take a trip and not have to flip your undies inside out lol.

You know... it's never occurred to me to do that! Thanks!

I don't know all the details. But supposedly they used some of the money for Karma engineering which was done in California. Also they already bought the Nina plant, though they haven't done much there yet.

There was something fishy (read: political) with that buy anyway, so if Fisker fails, I sort of doubt the powers that be really care.

The thing that is concerning is that Fisker has not fixed major problems on their press cars over the past year. The same problems still exist. Also it -seems that the people in charge have a bad attitude and have the take it or leave it mentality. Not very promising for a car that costs ~100k. As time passes the Model S looks like it will be much more reliable, at least we know that Tesla will be proactive in fixing problems. Personally I think aesthetically the Karma has it all over the Model S, but if Fisker cannot fix major problems on press cars then I wonder how they will be able to fix problems once the cars actually are sold to customers.

Moderator's note:
Ok, things are getting a bit convoluted regarding the Fisker threads we have going. I'm going to try to move some of today's posts into the more appropriate thread (so look around if you're missing something), but please do your best to place your posts appropriately.

So far we have three threads:

Fisker Surf (Karma wagon)
Specifically about the shooting brake/wagon version of the Karma

Karma -vs- Model S
Comparing what we know of the Fisker Karma to the Model S. I'll let this expand to general Fisker and Tesla comparisons. Perhaps even Roadster versus Karma (as odd as that is), but only briefly.

Fisker Karma
This thread. Specifically about the Fisker Karma, but also general stuff about Fisker Automotive (the company). At some point I'll try to tease out stuff specifically about the Nina, but that will have to wait for another time.

Ok I've just made another:
Fisker Nina
Try to put stuff specifically about the Nina there.