Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing that is concerning is that Fisker has not fixed major problems on their press cars over the past year. The same problems still exist. Also it -seems that the people in charge have a bad attitude and have the take it or leave it mentality. Not very promising for a car that costs ~100k. As time passes the Model S looks like it will be much more reliable, at least we know that Tesla will be proactive in fixing problems. Personally I think aesthetically the Karma has it all over the Model S, but if Fisker cannot fix major problems on press cars then I wonder how they will be able to fix problems once the cars actually are sold to customers.

At this stage they might not have time to fix the press cars. They have I think 4-5 at the most, and the Karma are literally driven from one spot to the next (in a truck) then shown/ give test drives and it's right back on the truck to the next stop on the press tour.

There are going to be kinks any any first model car, but it would inspire a lot of confidence that the problems are quickly fixable versus a long dealer stay (for when problems crop up for the future karma owners)

Haters-Gonna-Hate-Banned-In-Hollywood-38.jpg

In all seriousness, I kinda have to agree with Don as far as I have sensed a tenor of lazy closed mindedness in recent months (not just in the Fisker threads). The sense that what works for me must work for everybody (even for those in different regions of the country, if not the world). The presentation of opinion as fact. Then there's the assertion of incorrect "facts"' that are easily checkable with a 10 second Google search before posting. I'm sure I'm occasionally guilty of these things as well. That said, opinion is opinion and everyone is entitled to his or hers, so try not to take it personally. Let's as a group raise the level of discussion. Keep open minds and always keep it civil. :smile:

Regarding the Karma: Don, I'm interested in your opinion particularly because you're familiar with the Roadster and the Tesla experience and appear immune to fanboi-ism. You're in a position to provide an informed opinion, from which we can all benefit. Ignore the haters.

I didn't really have much to add to the existing reviews but I did post a bit about our experience over at Fisker Buzz. Link here
Thanks for the link. Getting the opportunity to drive pre- and post-latest-exhaust-modification Karmas, back-to-back, would be pretty unique for a consumer. That thread also has several well-balanced test drive reviews, worth a read.

In all seriousness, I kinda have to agree with Don as far as I have sensed a tenor of lazy closed mindedness in recent months (not just in the Fisker threads). The sense that what works for me must work for everybody (even for those in different regions of the country, if not the world). The presentation of opinion as fact. Then there's the assertion of incorrect "facts"' that are easily checkable with a 10 second Google search before posting. I'm sure I'm occasionally guilty of these things as well. That said, opinion is opinion and everyone is entitled to his or hers, so try not to take it personally. Let's as a group raise the level of discussion. Keep open minds and always keep it civil. :smile:

Regarding the Karma: Don, I'm interested in your opinion particularly because you're familiar with the Roadster and the Tesla experience and appear immune to fanboi-ism. You're in a position to provide an informed opinion, from which we can all benefit. Ignore the haters.

Thanks for the support Doug.

I probably shouldn't have posted that late at night given the recent sleep schedule. :frown:

Shouldn't have used the hater word, should have just said that I didn't really have much to add to the many very comprehensive reviews over there
and anything I could add would just get me labeled as a fanboy here. :tongue:

Of course I am a huge fanboy, only thing is, it is a plugin fanboy. Looking forward to the next three days of showing the Tesla and extolling the huge benefits of sun power transportation in general and driving a Tesla in particular! Here and of course we wouldn't miss This!

I just saw something very very interesting while watching the Fisker event from Miami. I saw a mother mouthing the words that her daugther was speaking during an interview. Go to the following points in the video and see what I'm referring too minute 1:05 and 1:12. Review it and tell me what you think.
Fisker Miami test drive event

That was a bit weird... almost seemed like she was translating or something. Next chick said she had an R8 w00t! :)

Is there any word on when these things will be available to drive at dealers on a normal basis? No plans to own one, but wouldn't hurt to see it in person

I just saw something very very interesting while watching the Fisker event from Miami. I saw a mother mouthing the words that her daugther was speaking during an interview. Go to the following points in the video and see what I'm referring too minute 1:05 and 1:12. Review it and tell me what you think.
Fisker Miami test drive event

Maybe the director was dictating the script through the wireless implants, and the mother was instructed not to speak in unison, but couldn't resist.
Wireless scripting conspiracy theory :tongue:

(it was weird though...)

I'd say Mom is learning English that way. She was always a tiny bit delayed mouthinr her daughter comments.

BTW, too many kids give reviews of your car and you loose cred.

I have had a credo that says any movie commercial that consists of people being interviewed as they come out of the theater is a guaranteed stinker. Never been wrong on that one.

The Fisker Karma was on Two and a Half Men tonight...

Not a show I'd watch, but that's some pretty high profile exposure.

Fisker Karma debuts on Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutchers new character - ABG
karma-cbs.png

2012 Fisker Karma Lands A Role On 'Two And A Half Men' - GreenCarReports
the car is slated to appear throughout the season, giving a wide swath of Americans -- not to mention millions of viewers in other parts of the world -- a glimpse of the sleek extended-range electric sedan. Depending on the amount of screentime the Karma receives, that could generate huge awareness for the new vehicle.
2012-fisker-karma-on-two-and-a-half-men_100364851_m.jpg

Fisker Karma on Two and Half Men TONIGHT - 9pm ET/PT -- Fisker Buzz
...The car was in three scenes and got six or seven minutes of screen time (in a 24 minute show). There was also an exchange between the main characters about the car.

Ashton Kutcher plays a broken hearted billionaire who owns the car. He asks Jon Cryer's character to go out to take his mind off his heartbreak. This is the first time we see the Karma and, as in most of the scenes we see the car, it is an interior shot as if we were looking at the characters through the windshield.

JC: "Nice car. What is it?"
AK: "It's an electric Fisker. State of the art lithium ion technology supplemented with a turbocharged engine and solar panels on the roof"
JC: "How much does something like this cost?"
AK: "About 100 Grand. It's great for the environment. I don't know why anyone would drive anything else"

Then Jon Cryer makes a joke about crushing poverty as a possible stumbling block.

Later, Ashton gets worked up about his relationship troubles and starts accellerating. Jon gets more and more nervous and starts calling out the speed: 80mph, 95 mph and 103 mph are mentioned. Ashton whips around a corner at speed and Jon exclaims "This thing really takes the corners". This and later exterior scenes of the car weaving through traffic and barrelling down the street (in obviously accellerated footage) drives home the point that this is a high performance car.