Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

national security risks posed by Chinese-made ‘smart cars’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Biden administration will investigate national security risks posed by Chinese-made ‘smart cars’

Feb. 29, 2024, 7:38 AM EST / Source: The Associated Press
By Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Citing potential national security risks, the Biden administration says it will investigate Chinese-made “smart cars” that can gather sensitive information about Americans driving them.

The probe could lead to new regulations aimed at preventing China from using sophisticated technology in electric cars and other so-called connected vehicles to track drivers and their personal information. Officials are concerned that features such as driver assistance technology could be used to effectively spy on Americans.

While the action stops short of a ban on Chinese imports, President Joe Biden said he is taking unprecedented steps to safeguard Americans’ data.

“China is determined to dominate the future of the auto market, including by using unfair practices,’’ Biden said in a statement Thursday. “China’s policies could flood our market with its vehicles, posing risks to our national security. I’m not going to let that happen on my watch.’’

Biden and other officials noted that China has imposed wide-ranging restrictions on American autos and other foreign vehicles.

Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said connected cars “are like smart phones on wheels” and pose a serious national security risk.

“These vehicles are connected to the internet. They collect huge amounts of sensitive data on the drivers — personal information, biometric information, where the car goes,’’ she told reporters late Wednesday. “So it doesn’t take a lot of imagination to figure out how a foreign adversary like China, with access to this sort of information at scale, could pose a serious risk to our national security and the privacy of U.S. citizens.’’

Data collection is not the only concern, she and other officials said. Connected vehicles could also be remotely enabled or manipulated by bad actors.

“Imagine if there were thousands or hundreds of thousands of Chinese-connected vehicles on American roads that could be immediately and simultaneously disabled by somebody in Beijing,’’ Raimondo said. “So it’s scary to contemplate the cyber risks, espionage risks that these pose.’’

Few Chinese cars are currently imported to the United States, in part because of steep tariffs the U.S. imposes on vehicles imported from China. Still, officials are concerned tariffs are not sufficient to address the problem. Some Chinese companies seek to avoid U.S. tariffs by setting up assembly plants in nearby countries such as Mexico.

Under a plan announced Thursday, the Commerce Department is issuing an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking that will launch an investigation into national security risks posed by “connected vehicles” from China and other countries considered hostile to the United States.

Biden administration will investigate national security risks posed by Chinese-made ‘smart cars’

By Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Citing potential national security risks, the Biden administration says it will investigate Chinese-made “smart cars” that can gather sensitive information about Americans driving them.

The probe could lead to new regulations aimed at preventing China from using sophisticated technology in electric cars and other so-called connected vehicles to track drivers and their personal information. Officials are concerned that features such as driver assistance technology could be used to effectively spy on Americans.

While the action stops short of a ban on Chinese imports, President Joe Biden said he is taking unprecedented steps to safeguard Americans’ data.

“China is determined to dominate the future of the auto market, including by using unfair practices,’’ Biden said in a statement Thursday. “China’s policies could flood our market with its vehicles, posing risks to our national security. I’m not going to let that happen on my watch.’’

Biden and other officials noted that China has imposed wide-ranging restrictions on American autos and other foreign vehicles.

Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said connected cars “are like smart phones on wheels” and pose a serious national security risk.

“These vehicles are connected to the internet. They collect huge amounts of sensitive data on the drivers — personal information, biometric information, where the car goes,’’ she told reporters late Wednesday. “So it doesn’t take a lot of imagination to figure out how a foreign adversary like China, with access to this sort of information at scale, could pose a serious risk to our national security and the privacy of U.S. citizens.’’

Data collection is not the only concern, she and other officials said. Connected vehicles could also be remotely enabled or manipulated by bad actors.

“Imagine if there were thousands or hundreds of thousands of Chinese-connected vehicles on American roads that could be immediately and simultaneously disabled by somebody in Beijing,’’ Raimondo said. “So it’s scary to contemplate the cyber risks, espionage risks that these pose.’’

Few Chinese cars are currently imported to the United States, in part because of steep tariffs the U.S. imposes on vehicles imported from China. Still, officials are concerned tariffs are not sufficient to address the problem. Some Chinese companies seek to avoid U.S. tariffs by setting up assembly plants in nearby countries such as Mexico.

Under a plan announced Thursday, the Commerce Department is issuing an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking that will launch an investigation into national security risks posed by “connected vehicles” from China and other countries considered hostile to the United States.

The emphasis has been too much on China and missed how sophisticated the Russians are in clamping down on US citizens: Ballerina Ksenia Khavana, living in Los Angeles without driving a Chinese car, was arrested in Russia while visiting her 90-year-old grandmother because Russia found out that she transferred $51.80 from her US bank to a US-based 501(c)(3) charity.

The same thing happened when the US excluded China from the space program and missed how China's space program has advanced over the years.

This day was always going to come. First it was the Japanese, then the Koreans, and now these guys. I cannot see how anyone else can be price-competitive with the Chinese offerings. Just look at what they are doing with Temu and Shein, the prices are irresistible to people and I think the same will happen with cars. Protectionist measures even if enforced will eventually become untenable.

By Associated Press

Apparently cars from Vietnam don't pose as much of a "security risk". Basically the risk created by Chinese cars is the potential impact on the sales of GM, Ford and other domestic vehicle manufacturers.

This day was always going to come. First it was the Japanese, then the Koreans, and now these guys. I cannot see how anyone else can be price-competitive with the Chinese offerings. Just look at what they are doing with Temu and Shein, the prices are irresistible to people and I think the same will happen with cars. Protectionist measures even if enforced will eventually become untenable.

China-ownef TikTok has already spied on almost all American lives, from the cars to the bedrooms and Trump couldn't ban it.

Hating China may get votes but the world is now interdependent so it's wishful to think it's possible to divorce China.

The China spy, Tesla, should be investigated first

well if japan and korea and vietnam can sell their cars wo subsidy in usa, then why can t china?

china cheats at every chance they get... say no to china...

even if a lexus costs me 2x of a comaprable chinese brand i will still buy lexus...

well if japan and korea and vietnam can sell their cars wo subsidy in usa, then why can t china?

china cheats at every chance they get... say no to china...

even if a lexus costs me 2x of a comaprable chinese brand i will still buy lexus...
This thread is about National Security, not about economic competition.

Tesla's cars in the US have many components imported from China.

Tesla computers, motherboards, and memories are made in China.

Security experts think any of those components could be made to be a spy for China:

(Paywall)

No, protectionist measures won't become untenable. Protectionism works. China and India have both used it successfully.

If your country has money, companies want a piece of it, and will do what it takes to get some of it.

No, protectionist measures won't become untenable. Protectionism works. China and India have both used it successfully.

If your country has money, companies want a piece of it, and will do what it takes to get some of it.

Protectionism benefits a few but costs more for consumers and the world with higher prices and fewer choices.

Those guys are rank amateurs compared with European nations.
The EU has meant that they don't protect between their own member nations they still insist on different standards from the rest of the world, often just to be different. CCS2 -vs- CCS1 is a great example of this. Electrical plug shapes are another, as are/were: railroad gauges, measurement standards (metric anyone?), A/C voltages and frequencies, currencies, language, driving side-of-the-road, etc. I remember the first-generation cellular systems where different European countries would order the messages in a different way, just to ensure incompatibility so that one couldn't buy equipment from another country.
If one looks at history, common standards and open borders are by far the exception. Protectionism is the norm.