Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Production Fisker Karma

2010-paris-auto-show-production-fisker-karma-medium_2.jpg

2010-paris-auto-show-production-fisker-karma-medium_7.jpg

2010-paris-auto-show-production-fisker-karma-medium_11.jpg

Last edited:
I still have held on to #80 slot, with reservations (pun intended). My friends #78 & #99 have gotten calls to get their funds together as the "moment" is getting closer! That being said, I have received no such call. Ostensibly because of my vocal criticism of the car? Who knows.

That being said, on the picture above, there is an "ES" to the right of the "Karma" tag. Any ideas? "Extra Spensive?"

Paris motor show: Fisker Karma

The car enters full production at Finland’s contract manufacturer Valmet early in 2011, its sole global factory base. After ramp-up, some 15,000 units will be built a year, split between saloon, ‘Sunset’ convertible and a third, as yet unconfirmed bodystyle.

“We’ll be pricing the Karma to compete with BMW’s 750i in most markets,” explained Fisker, implying a sticker of about £70,000. “Our UK dealer network will be confirmed over the coming weeks. We’ll certainly be well represented, and deliveries should start in March or April of 2011.”

The Karma goes into production in 3 months and no one has driven it?!!

Is that what they do with Ferraris?

Sorry to keep harping on this...

Could you explain what you mean by "no one"?

I am sure some number of company test drivers have been driving the vehicles.

Is it really very common for an auto manufacturer to allow the general public or even journalists to drive an all new preproduction vehicle?

Actually I'm not enough of a "car guy" to answer that question. That's why I asked the Ferrari question.

I would think if they have a ground breaking product and any sort of pride they would be showing it off. What I do know is test drives is basically free publicity. No ride, no free published pictures, video and articles about your new product.

It's fairly common for large automakers to give journalists an early drive in a car before it hits the market (google "First drive" or "first look" for a couple of cars; I found drives for the Chevy Cruze way before it was out). I've also seen automakers give rides to journalists on development prototypes. That's the way automakers keep a good relation with auto mags and ensure they get into the magazine.

However, in general, the only time a consumer gets to try a car is at a dealer, unless they are part of a focus group or there is a PR event where they let you try it out.

However, low volume makes may do things differently for customers (to make them feel more special).

However, in general, the only time a consumer gets to try a car is at a dealer, unless they are part of a focus group or there is a PR event where they let you try it out.
However, low volume makes may do things differently for customers (to make them feel more special).
Glad you made that caveat because Tesla did that for the Roadster, a low volume product. I'd argue that Fisker needs more 'good will to make them feel more special' than an established car company would. I'd say they should be more like Tesla in this regard. I got to drive in a Roadster development car twice & actually drive it thrice before I got the keys to my 1st Roadster.

So the Karma has an estimated run of 15,000 units per year (and reported that 3,000 deposits have been thus far taken) which would make it in a different category than the Tesla Roadster. How about the Tesla WhiteStar -Model 'S'... would that be a fairer comparison? I've already driven in a prototype Model 'S' & personally watched others drive in it as well. The Fisker Karma, for which I still have a deposit down, I've never personally seen driven (YouTube does not count) & I've sat in one... once! Transparency?

So the Karma has an estimated run of 15,000 units per year (and reported that 3,000 deposits have been thus far taken)
Probably not 15.000 in the first year so those 3.000 may mean whole first year production or even more.
But nevertheless it is somewhat strange. Any newcomer needs public visibility. You don't get that by being silent and almost invisible.

They way I see it is that Fisker is going the more traditional route of auto manufacturers. The whole Tesla approach was all new and very much questioned by the main stream auto establishment. The only example close to this is GM with the Volt and I believe they just had to give it a try because of Tesla's publicity success. We can speculate all we want about whether or not Fisker should have followed that route but fact is they didn't. I believe his target in showing the car in the first place was to get VC money and a dealer network.

Fisker's focus now is on a dealer network, the events this summer were done by the dealers, Fisker just brought a car and provided a initial supply of contacts. They individuals with deposits are being assigned to these dealers. Whether or not this works for them long term remains to be seen but as soon as these dealers have their demo cars the number of people that have access to rides will very quickly surpass the number of people that have access to the limited number of Tesla company showrooms.

The Volt’s Gas Engine DOES Turn the Wheels. Sometimes.

Earlier reports pretty much on the mark. Previous GM staff either none the wiser or lying through their teeth.

Nothing against the car but it certainly isn't the "EV" they would like you to believe.
This makes me wonder again about the as-yet-to-be-demonstrated Karma drivetrain. It's been a little hard to nail down. Supposedly serial, but some statements make it seem parallel. Somehow I doubt they're able to implement an engineering solution as clever as the Volt. And yet preliminary reports give the Volt disappointing figures for efficiency.
Makes me glad again that the Whitestar/Model S went back to pure EV.