Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, that's the ugly little guy ...
Hey! He was Lando's copilot in Millenium Falcon during the crucial Battle of Endor. I think it's great for Fisker to make an homage to such a hero! :rolleyes:

No; it was stuck there. No interaction at all. The screen said "art... Loader Version 1.6" with the "St" cut off due to misaligned screen. The doors opened from the inside (cool electric by-wire one-touch buttons). The front seats adjusted electrically as "expected", but very little else worked. I could not open the glove box, not sure if that was locked out on purpose (like the hood and windows), or not functional.
Something odd about the shifter too. Not sure if this is a proto-type version, but the main handle portion was fixed (bolted) in place, but the small silver lever extending from the right side of the handle actually moved (P/R/N/D). Very odd, especially from the drivers side (nearer your pinky rather than your thumb).
I wouldn't say the screen was misaligned. Likely they use less screen real estate during normal operation. I'm sure Tesla and others do the same.

You're saying the doors open from the inside by wire? That's cool, but in case something fails, I want to be able to get out with a simple mechanical latch.

Sadly, I think that shifter is as designed. Jump to the one minute mark of the video posted here. It's a side mounted rotary switch which hopefully has some strong detents. It doesn't appear to be an especially user friendly design. Also might be bumped accidentally by your passenger. (Detailed photo of what I'll call the "pinky shifter" here.) I'd rather they had just used simple push buttons or even a rotary switch that was placed flat on the center console.

You're saying the doors open from the inside by wire? That's cool, but in case something fails, I want to be able to get out with a simple mechanical latch.
I agree on the safety aspect ... and I could be wrong (not highly likely though), there might also be a mechanical latch as a backup, but I felt around the handle area (inside rear right seat), found nothing "conventional" and then happened upon the push button.

Rear entry is not easy and sharp-angled glass pane (front-upper corner) seems like a dangerously positioned item looking for an accident. Beautiful exterior design.

My exact sentiments when I saw it last November in Santa Monica where I was able to touch & feel it, but not drive it or see it it drive. Tonight I was invited to another Fisker EVent in Santa Monica to... um... touch & feel the car! I passed & sadly may also do so on the car. :frown:

Fisker Karma is Hot – New Dealership, Award, and Interview -- Miss Electric

karma10.jpg

I think the big new was they have their own Fisker styled charging station:

fiskerchargerresized.jpg

Fisker Karma on tour

I caught the Karma on one of its tour stops. I was able to sit in it and I arrived early enough to see them drive the Karma onto the property and into the show room. The lot the dealer had is not designed well and they had to do that for every car they had delivered.

One thing I can say is the Fisker Karma was quiet, but the sound of the power steering was very noticeable (it could be something that is usually drowned out by an ICE, but since the Karma was in EV mode it was pronounced. It wasn't deafening or even close, but very noticeable).

Entry/Exit to the front is easy, big door well shaped opening. The rear is a little harder to get into. the doors are wide, but the sloped roof hinders movement and head room. Anyone over 6'0 will have a problem getting in the back. Anyone over 6'2 will not have enough headroom to sit in the back, even though leg, knee room is ample.

The car itself is well put together, seats are very comfortable and supportive. The leather is high quality and the headliner is made of suede. The dash is made of leather, but the way it's designed is very "attention drawing" (it's a love or hate it kind of situation).

My dislikes : the battery stack in the center didn't need to be that high. Judging for the Volt, the battery pack is only knee high. The Karma is elbow level (a little higher than elbow level) , combine that with the sloped roof, gives the rear of the karma a very claustrophobic touch that rubbed me the wrong way.

The gear selector is an enormous "shifter" that does not move at all! There is a Little turn "knob" on the side of the "shifter" that selects the gear. It another thing that adds to the claustrophobic feel of the Karma.

I have more Photos on my website: http://visualrenaissancegallery.com/Other/Fisker-Karma/12321980_ejy5o#879846432_vDwVg

Attachments

• 879846432_vDwVg-S-1.jpg
    879846432_vDwVg-S-1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 879912535_cPZtN-M-1.jpg
    879912535_cPZtN-M-1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 75
The "shifter" is gone in the latest pictures and the new brochure on their recently redone website. Replaced by pushbuttons.

Fisker Brochure
Thanks.
attachment.php

To me, these pictures look like renderings and not actual photographs. Anyhow this certainly is an improvement. I like that the buttons are angled so that you should be able to select the mode you want without looking.

I am, however, perplexed by images like this for a car that still runs on gas.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks.
attachment.php

To me, these pictures look like renderings and not actual photographs. Anyhow this certainly is an improvement. I like that the buttons are angled so that you be be able to select the mode you want without looking.

I am, however, perplexed by images like this for a car that still runs on gas.
attachment.php

Well considering the competition, The model S is the only car that will best it in efficiency. Anything for Lexus, BMW or Benz at best gets 25 mpg. The Lexus LS600h only gets 22mpg ( yes I know it's bigger, but still)! 50 ev miles will be plenty for some. To each his own I guess...

My dislikes : the battery stack in the center didn't need to be that high. Judging for the Volt, the battery pack is only knee high. The Karma is elbow level (a little higher than elbow level) , combine that with the sloped roof, gives the rear of the karma a very claustrophobic touch that rubbed me the wrong way.....]

I have used the word claustrophobic to describe the interior as well. The Roadster has strained entry/ exit but feels fine (not "roomy") once you are in. The Karma is easy entrance and feels like you have entered a (plush) cramped deep-sea dive bell where every inch means more air that needs to be supplied.