Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in your MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First trip will be from Trinidad, CA (north coast) to Portland to visit my daughters. I'm hoping the Crescent City supercharger will be ready by then (predicting next June or so for our delivery). After that we have to find a travel trailer to haul, so wherever we have to pick it up, we will head there.

NYC to Long Lake, NY (in the Adirondacks). At 268 miles, it might be possible to squeeze the electrons enough to make it there in one charge, but it gets a little higher in elevation toward the end so I probably shouldn't risk it. I already squeeze out the best MPG I can in a Highlander Hybrid, so something tells me I will be going for record low Wh/mile in the Tesla (though not as low as Bjorn!). There's a Super Charger outside Albany at just about the halfway mark so that should do nicely.

Had you asked this question earlier in the year, I might have said NYC to northern GA to visit my parents for Christmas (800 miles each way), but that's looking a bit less likely these days. The Adirondack trek will be next May so I'm thinking odds are pretty good on having my X by then.

Great trips, everyone. I am hopeful we'll all post updates when we do take them. It's a lot of fun to hit a Supercharger these days and see a bunch of Model Ss, but I often think about how that era is nearly over. Soon it'll be a mix, and for a while the MX owners will be the ones answering a lot of questions from the ICE drivers as well as the MS owners.

Oh, that's easy.

Our first real trip in the X will be back to here in Paxson, from Arizona. We'll go either by:

1. SpC's al the way to Edmonton, thence by Canada's "Sun Country Highway" chargers which can get us much of the way to Whitehorse, Yukon (after which see below);

or

2. Up to Bellingham, WA thence by AK State Ferry to Haines AK. Then it's a charge at Haines Jct, Yukon (at a welding shop I know); Destruction Bay Yukon (ditto); Beaver (ditto); Tok Alaska (RV park); Delta Jct (ditto) and home. If we take the first alternative then after Whitehorse the stops are as on this alternative.

Now, we'll probably have some "break-in" jaunts - say, to Florida - before that. Depends on when we take delivery: our place in line is 17,000-and-change.

To OP Ohmman: for a different route down from Grand Cyn to Phoenix, if you have an additional 3-5 hours consider heading west at the Cordes Lakes SpC towards Prescott, then down Rte 89 to the Wickenburg SpC (and say hello!) and thence to Phoenix. Utterly spectacular Tesla driving in the twisty-windies of the high ponderosa pine country, with the grand finale of a great recharge ramp leading down from Yarnell into Morristown (& Wickenburg).

I've made reservations in Napa CA for thanksgiving. Seattle to Napa. Sig #292, if it doesn't happen by then, there are serious delays. If I don't get delivery by then, the stock will have gone down so far I probably can't afford the car anyway.

Oh, that's easy.

Our first real trip in the X will be back to here in Paxson, from Arizona. We'll go either by:

1. SpC's al the way to Edmonton, thence by Canada's "Sun Country Highway" chargers which can get us much of the way to Whitehorse, Yukon (after which see below);

or

2. Up to Bellingham, WA thence by AK State Ferry to Haines AK. Then it's a charge at Haines Jct, Yukon (at a welding shop I know); Destruction Bay Yukon (ditto); Beaver (ditto); Tok Alaska (RV park); Delta Jct (ditto) and home. If we take the first alternative then after Whitehorse the stops are as on this alternative.

Now, we'll probably have some "break-in" jaunts - say, to Florida - before that. Depends on when we take delivery: our place in line is 17,000-and-change.

To OP Ohmman: for a different route down from Grand Cyn to Phoenix, if you have an additional 3-5 hours consider heading west at the Cordes Lakes SpC towards Prescott, then down Rte 89 to the Wickenburg SpC (and say hello!) and thence to Phoenix. Utterly spectacular Tesla driving in the twisty-windies of the high ponderosa pine country, with the grand finale of a great recharge ramp leading down from Yarnell into Morristown (& Wickenburg).
Now that sounds like some serious adventuring there!

My road trip planning is pretty much on hold right now as I wait to see where delivery falls. In the case I beat the odds and receive it in June, I will likely take a long early summer trip. In the more likely event that I receive the vehicle near the end of the summer, I'll take a shorter trip, probably through the Utah parks. And in the most likely event that I get it around Halloween.. I'll wait until the following summer.

With over 57,000 miles on Model S, I am looking forward to some great road trips in Model X. LA to OKC with a continued drive to PA has been desired for many months. The new Allentown and Tannersville Superchargers are finally online and will make visiting friends and relatives a joy. Avoiding winter driving will give time for Tesla Motors to complete needed repairs.

Additional trips to Washington State and other western states allow for visits with more relatives and friends. The large windshield and Auto Pilot should make for some breathtaking scenic views while holding onto the steering wheel.