Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Production Cars Delivered Sep 29 at Factory per Elon Tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Options, people, options!
Signature seats are as we saw them. Nobody saw non-sig seats yet.

Signature 2nd row consist of three independent powered seats that move F/R and up down, they may also tilt a bit, but they d not fold in normal sense.

Not take a break and breath..

I think this speculation and research may be a bit more valuable than that to Signature reservation holders, who do not (at present anyway) have the option to select folding second row seats. They don't have options, people, options. Other than cancelling, of course. :)

It is useful to know what you are committing into - not just absolutely, but relatively as well. Relative, in this case, to whatever other seats types come to Model X in the immediate future after Signature's ship. It may be the decision between keeping the reservation and/or cancelling and waiting for a production model, for some people.

I am pretty sure these early pickups will be at the discretion of the buyers.

If someone wants the first ones on the block, they will need to make a leap of faith.

I would imagine that if they want to delay their delivery, and let someone else go before them, that Tesla will make acamodations.

I am pretty sure these early pickups will be at the discretion of the buyers.

If someone wants the first ones on the block, they will need to make a leap of faith.

I would imagine that if they want to delay their delivery, and let someone else go before them, that Tesla will make acamodations.

That, in general, is of course true.

But in many cases we may be able to make that leap of faith a little smaller - or at least a little more though out and informed - through our analysis. That's the goal of these kinds of discussions for me, anyway.

I have not decided yet. The Signature Model S had factory installed clear bra.

Yeah, but it was a crappy one that covered 1/3 of the hood and left a nasty line. My dad has it and it drives me nuts. Much better to cover the whole front end.

My plan is to drive my Model X directly to the place that does the Xpel and do the whole front end.

I have not decided yet. The Signature Model S had factory installed clear bra.

We're getting way off topic, but since it came up: I've done two Model S's at Precision Film Solutions, not far from the Costa Mesa service center. I had my most recent car delivered to Costa Mesa, and drove it straight to get the full body Xpel and Crystaline. They are a huge shop (regional distributor or something like that) always busy with Lambos and other show cars. They did perfect jobs for me both times. My X will go straight there.

That, in general, is of course true.

But in many cases we may be able to make that leap of faith a little smaller - or at least a little more though out and informed - through our analysis. That's the goal of these kinds of discussions for me, anyway.

Only if the first handful of people with the opportunity to get their cars on Sept 29 read related posts and care. My speculation :wink: is they (the very specific early (Sept 29) pickups being discussed; Founders) don't care. You referenced Sig holders in post #41, which is not what this thread is about (and certainly Sig #2 doesn't care about the analysis here as she just goes right to the source for the facts). While some Sig holders may be swayed by such analysis, the people most likely to be swayed are those with early production reservations, but again this isn't the thread for them.

I'm Sig #4 and all of this speculation/analysis has been VERY helpful.

In what way? And why wouldn't you just talk to Tesla directly? Or Bonnie, who's provided the most constructive information? As an example, how does the seats might fold this way, or might fold that way, or might not fold at all helped you make a decision whether to confirm or not?

Regardless, you are one person and one person does not a trend nor a majority make.

As one example, the possibility that the 2nd row doesn't fold hadn't even occurred to me until reading these threads. Basically, the combined brainpower here helps me think of what to ask/consider even if we don't have all the answers. I appreciate at least knowing what things I may not know! ("Known unknowns vs unknown unknowns")

No speculation needed for my order. Tesla management has been crystal clear about my local delivery. The only unknown is the delivery date. Even if I was asked to see my X come off the production line, I would want them to put it on a transporter so I would have flawless paint and a chip free windshield at the local Tesla service center. Don't speculate, NO invite has occurred or hinted for the 29th. Tesla has told me personally that the handoff ceremony is not a event where the Tesla vehicle owners are included or can call (as I occasionally have) to ask to be added to the list.

IMHO, the Fremont factory workers are the ones who should be in the audience and celebrate their work, their production accomplishments and the historic delivery event to the fullest. They deserve our praise for the excellence we all enjoy everyday while driving a incredible Tesla Motors electric vehicle.

As one example, the possibility that the 2nd row doesn't fold hadn't even occurred to me until reading these threads. Basically, the combined brainpower here helps me think of what to ask/consider even if we don't have all the answers. I appreciate at least knowing what things I may not know! ("Known unknowns vs unknown unknowns")

Indeed. Without TMC (or its kind) most of us wouldn't be as well-versed about the second row and its possible limitations at this stage. It is quite possible some of us would be confirming orders without ever having even thought about whether or not the seats will fold - or whether or not a future Model X might have folding seats instead.

Now, I think reasonably, we have at least the possibility to consider that this is the case - Sig's ship without folding second rows, but future models may get it - and we can make a bit more educated decision. Known unknowns - I like that phrasing. It doesn't mean I won't be confirming my order, but it means I won't be disappointed by a negative surprise in this area.

Of course there is the possibility that the Signature seats fold and the fear was for naught, but given what we know it seems reasonable to at least have thought it through. If we get a positive surprise, all the better.

In what way? And why wouldn't you just talk to Tesla directly? Or Bonnie, who's provided the most constructive information? As an example, how does the seats might fold this way, or might fold that way, or might not fold at all helped you make a decision whether to confirm or not?

Tesla isn't talking - and even when they are, their interests aren't aligned with our interests, as they don't want to tell about future product changes that we as buyers might have an interest in finding out. That leaves unofficial and communal channels as the alternative.

The latter takes a village: I would argue most of us, bonnie and myself included, provide a very singular view on the Model X. Many of us are appreciated as constructive in our own way by some group of members or another, but objectively it must be said we are also all limited in our own way. Few, if any, of us can rise above our unique and partial view points. We all have our blind spots.

Where the richness lies, is when all those singular perspectives are combined - for example here on TMC on those moments when we as a community rise to the occasion.

I appreciate the fact that I've received several compliments over the year to the tune of "I don't agree with you, but I think your voice is needed to balance things out" or other words to that effect. I would often say the same to bonnie, for example, with equal combination of disagreement - and genuine appreciation.

If any one of our voices were to reign over others, we would be less. That is one reason I've so often asked for responses that challenge my thoughts, not merely my style or my person. Together we can improve our thoughts if we put them under the pressure of the community - and that leads to better data reflected in this particular case in a more thought out Model X purchase process.

Thanks for your continued comments, Anxiety Ranger. I find them thoughtful and balanced. I appreciate your humility, relativism, and the effort demonstrated by your posts. Speculation, conjecture, and analysis are welcome, especially in light of Tesla’s very long silence. Your summary of “what we think we know” about the MX and other posts have been very helpful. I live in a complex and uncertain world with room for lots of opinions and styles.

So, to answer the question I posed to you...it didn't actually help you to decide whether to confirm your X reservation or not. But it did give you MORE to consider, as I suggested speculation does.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla isn't talking - and even when they are, their interests aren't aligned with our interests, as they don't want to tell about future product changes that we as buyers might have an interest in finding out.

That is a big pile of smelly. Back on topic, none of the people receiving their Founders X on Sept 29 care about speculation. And none of the Sig or production reservation holders have to confirm their Model X prior to seeing, feeling and driving one if that's what they require before deciding.

The rest of your post was wasted on me. You knew it would be knowing that I prefer to communicate without all the extra verbiage, just as I know you dislike it when I parse your posts and/or answer with one word sentences.

That is a big pile of smelly. Back on topic, none of the people receiving their Founders X on Sept 29 care about speculation. And none of the Sig or production reservation holders have to confirm their Model X prior to seeing, feeling and driving one if that's what they require before deciding.

The rest of your post was wasted on me. You knew it would be knowing that I prefer to communicate without all the extra verbiage, just as I know you dislike it when I parse your posts and/or answer with one word sentences.

FYI, I think that Bonnie has already configured and confirmed, sight unseen, and I was told to expect that I would need to do the same in the next couple weeks, i.e. configure and confirm prior to seeing, much less driving, the MX. I can't even seem to get the detail specs.

FYI, I think that Bonnie has already configured and confirmed, sight unseen, and I was told to expect that I would need to do the same in the next couple weeks, i.e. configure and confirm prior to seeing, much less driving, the MX. I can't even seem to get the detail specs.
I'm not so sure about the "sight unseen" part. She was in Fremont shortly before the Design Studio for the X went live.

I'm not so sure about the "sight unseen" part. She was in Fremont shortly before the Design Studio for the X went live.

They certainly did not offer that option to me. I may not be #2 but it's a pretty low number, waited 3.5 years, deposit in place. The TM person told me I would most likely need to configure without more information. If offered, I'd fly down, sign NDA, whatever needed in order to have more information before configuring and confirming. I'll have to wait and see. I guess the option is always there to drop out of signature series. Tough to do after all this time.

Not according to her last post/s on the subject. She was still waiting for information.

- - - Updated - - -

They certainly did not offer that option to me. I may not be #2 but it's a pretty low number, waited 3.5 years, deposit in place. The TM person told me I would most likely need to configure without more information. If offered, I'd fly down, sign NDA, whatever needed in order to have more information before configuring and confirming. I'll have to wait and see. I guess the option is always there to drop out of signature series. Tough to do after all this time.

Not offering the option and saying 'most likely' doesn't mean you don't have the option to defer.