Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 60kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Weight stickers are printed per car (it has the VIN on it) as well as the date 1/13. Of course it could be no one updated the info, but I doubt that. I'd always heard the weight for 85/65kW were going to be about the same.

Could the 2013 numbers be different than 2012 (i.e. EPA tweaks on the process?). Has anyone seen the MPGe rating for the 85 kW on a 2013 model?

The EPA hasnt conducted any updated ratings for the 85. There's a whole thread I believe with speculation on what the root causes for the difference. Weight, 21 vs 19 inch tires, efficiency gains in the motor, etc. have all been hypothesized. But if the weight is accurate, then that's the one most people thought. It's possible that efficiency tweaks were made and even now the 85 is better than originally rated. Unless Tesla comes out with a statement or the EPA retests the 85, it'll remain a mystery.

There were changes to the testing since the last tests, that I know of.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it was the wheels? 19 vs. 21 and rolling resistance.
Could be. As i said its one of the prevailing theories. But dont know if anyone confirmed the tire sizes on the EPA tested rig 85. But I would find it odd that Tesla, who knows about efficiency would let that be tested in favor of 19 inchers knowing it would have a not-insignificant impact on the number. Tesla's all about putting best foot forward. It would be an odd oversight if they tested with the 21s. Plus, I thought EPA tests "standard" configs.

Yes, we're off topic. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be. As i said its one of the prevailing theories. But dont know if anyone confirmed the tire sizes on the EPA tested rig 85. But I would find it odd that Tesla, who knows about efficiency would let that be tested in favor of 19 inchers knowing it would have a not-insignificant impact on the number. Tesla's all about putting best foot forward. It would be an odd oversight if they tested with the 21s. Plus, I thought EPA tests "standard" configs.

Yes, we're off topic. Sorry.

well, when the original 85 testing was done, wasn't the 21" wheels the standard? They only changed it to 19" standard recently (was it with the price increase? not sure). I was definitely under the impression that the difference was due to the wheels size, but that's probably just something I read here. I know we've also heard that Tesla was working on improving the efficiency of the UMC as well...

Hi everyone. To those asking, yes, I had been thinking I would be picking up my Model S yesterday at 3 pm. I received a call from my DS at 2:15 and she let me know that detailing was not completed, and so I would not be able to pick it up until today at 11 am. I was understanding since I had only responded to her delivery scheduling e-mail on Thursday afternoon and that they normally like to have 24 hours notice to prepare the car. It is safe to say that these last few hours are indeed the hardest to get through, it does seem like the hours turn into days, but I'm 1 hour from leaving for the factory and what is an extra 20 hours after waiting 702 days?

Edit: GG, looks like we may see each other there, or pass by each other, since you'll be coming in for the delivery slated after me! I'll be in a Superman shirt, as is befitting my username. :cool:

Edit: GG, looks like we may see each other there, or pass by each other, since you'll be coming in for the delivery slated after me! I'll be in a Superman shirt, as is befitting my username. :cool:

I'll look for you, David! I'll be in a simple brown striped shirt and blue jeans and will have 3 "similar-looking" friends along ;) I think you'll have Hans for company at 11 am...

Wow, OK. So, then the question of why the higher efficiency rating.
I wasn't paying close attention when the news (95mpge vs. 89mpge) came out...
Does the rating for the 60 kWh reflect single charger or twin chargers? Presumably the 85 kWh reflect twin chargers since all available vehicles at the time had twin chargers.

Tesla Model S60

Picked up the car at the factory today. It's amazing! I honestly cannot tell any kind of performance difference for the S60 vs the S85. I did ask about the battery and was told it the 60 kWh pack has fewer cells (of the same type) as the 85kWh pack and is therefore a lighter pack. One day I will find a way to weigh the car and know once and for all. I will post 0-60 times as soon as I get a chance to test it out with a proper measuring app.

8396802634_e56f5a2547_c.jpg
8396812108_9970d2218b_z.jpg
8396809110_ce559af20c_k.jpg

Last edited:
I was just curious because of the open question as to why the 60kWh is more efficient than the 85kWh that was never answered satisfactorily a month or so ago... and the last I heard Tesla was working up an official statement as to why (see Tesla Model S 60-kWh Is More Efficient Than 85-kWh Car: Why?) but I never saw any news to that effect (If I missed something please point me in the right direction!) So I was hoping that the first few to receive the actual cars might be able to figure it out (by weighing the car maybe?)

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations hans! That sounds great! I can't wait to get mine (I haven't decided what kind of battery to get yet, or even whether I am getting the performance or not.) I test drove a performance model on Friday, but nobody seems to have any 60kWh let alone non performance models for testing- and I wanted to get a feel for how different they really are. The performance was super great of course, but wish I could compare it to the non-performance but I don't think I'll get the chance before my finalization date of 2/8...

Picked up the car at the factory today. It's amazing! I honestly cannot tell any kind of performance difference for the S60 vs the S85. I did ask about the battery and was told it the 60 kWh pack has fewer cells (of the same type) as the 85kWh pack and is therefore a lighter pack. One day I will find a way to weigh the car and know once and for all. I will post 0-60 times as soon as I get a chance to test it out with a proper measuring app.

Hans, Congrats!!

yes, we are all curious about your impressions. These posts certainly help.

Regarding the 60kwh pack having fewer cells... That was certainly one theory (my assumption too). However, VCOR also picked up his 60kwh car today at factory. He looked in the door panel and the weight listed is the same as the 85kwh. Can you verify too? As a result of all this, sounds as if TM may actually put ballast weight in to get the same overall weight as the 85 (so they don't need to crash test the 60 car separately). Hmmm

enjoy the new toy!

However, VCOR also picked up his 60kwh car today at factory. He looked in the door panel and the weight listed is the same as the 85kwh. Can you verify too?

I think the sticker says the same weight as the 85 kWh cars. Can anyone make heads or tails put of all the numbers? I asked about this and the response was that my DS thought the sticker might not have been updated with the new weight for the 60 kWh pack. The mystery will continue until someone gets an independent weight on these cars.

8395797293_da2240e4ea_c.jpg

Last edited: