Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know.

Alas, as you are aware, there is no sunshine today here. And even after sitting in my garage for a half an hour, AS was unavailable on my next trek out. It did reappear on the third leg of that jaunt, though. So frustrating.

Yes gray day today. Perhaps you have a hardware issue. I'd call Tesla support and have them pull your logs and determine if your radar or camera are malfunctioning. I've never had any autopilot downtime other than that loaner.

• Helpful
Reactions: disagree
Sad that this is the closest Electrek can come to independent journalism. Someone should loan Fred Lambert a HW2 on 17.7.2.

Tesla Autopilot is currently using only 1 out 8 cameras of the new hardware suite, still very much in ‘beta’

Independent? He's Elon's mouthpiece. Tesla manages to tell him stuff they should be telling us. We spent the money.

It took an owner in this forum to use their own time and resources to suss out what the hell Tesla is even using camera wise. Shameful.

While that data is interesting in a way, I don't think following another car in traffic at 15mph is any indication that this road can be handled by the existing software. In my experience, following another car is the best case scenario and even roads with no lane marker are suddenly possible for successful Autopilot use.
I was just trying to point out that contrary to what @sillydriver said, it does work on limited access highways and it was handled successfully by existing software. I continued to use autosteer up to 50 mph on other stretches of the interstate and only had to disable it when speeds exceeded 50 mph since I didn't want to hold up traffic. Others have mentioned that AP2 can't work safely for more than a few seconds but it worked for me for over an hour.

I did notice that it never showed the car in front of me as blue, just the lane lines.

Reactions: _jal_
My AP2 MS functions (TACC) on any road, local street, highway, limited access or not, up to the current TACC limit of 80 MPH. If what you're referring to is the Auto Steer (AS) function. AS functions up to (currently) 50 MPH on controlled-access highways.

Might help all if folks mention which aspect of AP they are speaking to specifically. TACC or AS, or both combined.

I think it is fair to say that the autosteer function is at the heart of most of the concern and controversy over AP2. I was referring to autosteer.

My AP2 car drove for about an hour on I-70 last Saturday west of Denver when I hit ski traffic. The car handled it without any problems. The average speed on this limited access highway was 5 to 15 mph at the time with occasional bursts up to 30 to 50 mph.
View attachment 216733

I was just trying to point out that contrary to what @sillydriver said, it does work on limited access highways and it was handled successfully by existing software. I continued to use autosteer up to 50 mph on other stretches of the interstate and only had to disable it when speeds exceeded 50 mph since I didn't want to hold up traffic. Others have mentioned that AP2 can't work safely for more than a few seconds but it worked for me for over an hour.

I did notice that it never showed the car in front of me as blue, just the lane lines.

I think these comments that AP2 does work on limited-access highways in slow, mainly stop-and-go traffic make a fair point. My only excuse for missing this point is that I live out in the country and have never used AP1 in stop and go: I don't commute! So I will change my conclusion. Tesla should pitch current AP2 software specifically as a solution for slow highway commuting traffic (particularly if they can keep it from slamming on the brakes when passing under a sign). But they really should warn that it is not ready for prime time otherwise.

• Helpful
Reactions: NerdUno
TACC works pretty good for me!
I drove over 5,500 miles already since it was enabled.
I had the hard deceleration a few times a day until last week.
But not anymore! Sometimes I can feel a starting slow down but it doesn't even show a difference in speed on the dashboard! It's like releasing the acceleration pedal for a fraction of a second. That's it!
I don't know if it learned over the thousands of miles I used TACC in the last weeks or if it was related to an update.
Even though I can't figure out which it might have been...
Just MY honest experience with TACC over the last month!

I have a question for AP 2.0 Tesla drivers regarding the sudden braking. If your foot is on the accelerator pedal and you feel the braking begin when it is not warranted, will applying some accelerator input override the braking and allow you to continue at your current speed (minus what you lost with the beginning of braking, of course)? Is there some typical distance from an overpass or overhead sign that typically triggers the braking? Thanks. I suppose the secret is being focused enough on the driving that you know at the second of slowing that the braking is a false warning and not a necessary braking event so that you can react with confidence.

Yes accelerator pedal overrides auto brake. However, in practice it's hard to be ready to hit the accelerator in one case and be ready to hit the brake, if needed, in another. More stressful than just driving the car without TACC imo.

Most come from regular CC, where you usually keep your foot ready to press the brake pedal. When you are new to Tesla, enable TACC and get a sudden braking your body doesn't know what to do. By the time you figure out which pedal you should press the car accelerates again.

If you are tired(after a long trip or work) and new to Tesla, I recommend you stay away from TACC . Your reflexes will not be the correct ones.

Another question: can you disable AEB to prevent sudden threshold braking in the fast lane. I have this image that someone is going to get pasted. I guess max speed is 50mph at this time, but it sounds so dangerous since no other driver will expect that. Could another Tesla behind you on autopilot or tacc stop in time for a Tesla suddenly braking?

Yes accelerator pedal overrides auto brake. However, in practice it's hard to be ready to hit the accelerator in one case and be ready to hit the brake, if needed, in another. More stressful than just driving the car without TACC imo.

Thanks Deans and stefan.bc for the quick replies. Helmuth's response suggests there's value in using TACC on your usual route and allowing the Tesla to learn and then no longer make the same mistake of unnecessary braking. Your experiences suggest that there's a significant downside risk with the unexpected braking, although quick application of accelerator pedal pressure can counteract the braking. The comment about not using TACC when tired is particularly important.

Perhaps a strategy worth exploring is that when you are wide awake and nobody is driving too close behind you to go ahead and try the TACC on your usual commute and be extremely prepared to override braking with the accelerator pedal. You can be extremely prepared to override the TACC braking by keeping your awareness of other traffic high and already knowing the braking is a false alarm the moment it starts. If you allowed your focus to drift and you need to evaluate the correct action when you feel the braking, you're likely going to slow too much before overriding. By allowing the Tesla to learn your route perhaps you can then use TACC without the braking appearing, as Helmuth has experienced.

The important thing is to not put yourself and others in harms way while the car learns the route. If you feel uncomfortable with using TACC for any reason, let someone else test drive that route. Maybe your commute time has just too much traffic to make the use of TACC a reasonable proposition at this point, but someone else could create the fleet learning experience that you can benefit from.

I have a MS 100D on order, so don't have it yet. However, I am excited to watch the evolution of AP 2 and whatever level of FSD they can get out of the system. I know patience is in short supply in the world in general, but maybe wait until the end of 2017 and see where things are before accusing Tesla of fraud, incompetence, etc. Maybe not having lived through AP1 I don't have standing to comment, so if that is the view of the group, my apologies.

Even Tesla disagrees with you, unless they've changed their minds.

"This may not always prevent a collision entirely, but the impact speed will be dramatically reduced to the point where there are unlikely to be serious injuries to the vehicle occupants."

If you are approaching a whitelisted overpass and the traffic is stopped, you better be ready to stop the car. I don't expect this to happen at all, but who knows.
I think he is clearly talking about if the car even brakes at all. The AP1 truck situation was that the car didn't even brake at all, because it didn't detect the situation as one where it needs to brake. AP2 at the moment seems to be over cautious (false positive). How much it brakes after determining it needs to brake is another variable.

A few times day - you are a braver man than I!

But I realized even the hard braking felt scarier than it was. The deceleration was about 5 mph!
Although it felt like slowing down much more...

What I realized our MX never missed a single brake when it was necessary. So I feel pretty confident using TACC most of the time.
I would say I use it about 70% of my driving. Even in stop and go traffic. So much more relaxing...
Auto steer works pretty well, too! But I use it only on streets where I think it should be used (lane markings, no sudden turns, no intersections, etc.)!
Waiting for a higher speed limit on freeways! Can't wait...

Reactions: bhzmark and DJ-3
Auto steer works pretty well, too! But I use it only on streets where I think it should be used (lane markings, no sudden turns, no intersections, etc.)!

Genius idea! That plus a little patience (hopefully less patience than required by AP1 buyers while they were waiting as AP1 software was trained and dialed in) is the key to a no-tears and no upset early AP2 buying experience.

Congrats on avoiding the pain and misery others in your cohort are causing themselves to suffer.

Reactions: Helmuth