Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Asus router software, running Merlin
I'm using official firmware from Asus for my RT-AC88U.

So I took a look at my Model S this morning and no new maps! It must have "dozed off" seeing it was no longer connected to my Wi-Fi. However after it was "caught sleeping" it reconnected and started to download again. Reminds me of an intern we once had. ;)

17 GB and counting. I wonder if the massive size is due to any detailed autopilot data it may have, something my 2012 car will never use.

Model S Activity 2.png

I'm using official firmware from Asus for my RT-AC88U.

So I took a look at my Model S this morning and no new maps! It must have "dozed off" seeing it was no longer connected to my Wi-Fi. However after it was "caught sleeping" it reconnected and started to download again. Reminds me of an intern we once had. ;)

17 GB and counting. I wonder if the massive size is due to any detailed autopilot data it may have, something my 2012 car will never use.

View attachment 294413
This most likely means it keeps downloading the data and it keeps failing the check, Try restarting your car

• Informative
Reactions: gmontem
Supposedly waiting around 15 min is advisable for all subsystems etc. to properly shut down if you want to make sure everything is off. If anyone knows better or can elaborate, pls do!

For what it's worth: Back when some of us were having GPS problems (supposedly fixed though mine resurfaced just a couple of weeks ago -- possibly a fluke), Tesla made reference to a "deep sleep" correcting it. People were usually able to fix it by turning on "Energy Saving", turning off "Always Connected", and then leaving the cars overnight. With these settings the cars entered a fuller power-down mode after being off for some unspecified period of time. Eventually Tesla figured out a reset command they could send, but you still had to power off the car (from the menu) and then wait 2 minutes before they could send it.

Interestingly, when my GPS lockup happened again a couple of weeks ago (after being gone for a few months), the remote reset via customer service did not work. So I turned on Energy Saving, turned off "Always Connected", and left the car overnight. In the morning it worked. This is just anecdotal evidence, but there you have one anecdote.

On FB folks from Oregon and Las Vegas have claimed they got the new maps. Not California, but close by.

Yup. Oregon here. .12 followed a few days later with new nav message. But I'm not convinced we all mean the same thing when we say “new maps”. I have:
- new sultry voice
- new route calculation (tested against old bad routes)
- new look to IC navigation
- new maps? Beats me.

There may be several things that are maps
- center console google map
- nav calc data base
- IC visuals
- speed limit data base
- new traffic aware data
- other?

So when we say “new maps” I’m never sure what is meant.

Yup. Oregon here. .12 followed a few days later with new nav message. But I'm not convinced we all mean the same thing when we say “new maps”. I have:
- new sultry voice
- new route calculation (tested against old bad routes)
- new look to IC navigation
- new maps? Beats me.

There may be several things that are maps
- center console google map
- nav calc data base
- IC visuals
- speed limit data base
- new traffic aware data
- other?

So when we say “new maps” I’m never sure what is meant.

Well, I haven't seen them yet, so I wouldn't know. :( But that sounds like you got all the things folks have mentioned.

Tesla told me that the new nav for MCU1 is only going to California, with no set time to roll out more broadly.

Odd, I received and installed the new nav here in Amarillo, Texas, yesterday.

I could see a huge download going on, and it was there. The map detail with placenames is fabulous.

Running an early 2013 S85, with no nav. I got 2018.14 on Thursday, so only a 2 day gap.

It appears to have the real time traffic included.

Odd, I received and installed the new nav here in Amarillo, Texas, yesterday.

I could see a huge download going on, and it was there. The map detail with placenames is fabulous.

Running an early 2013 S85, with no nav. I got 2018.14 on Thursday, so only a 2 day gap.

It appears to have the real time traffic included.
I'm so surprised that Tesla was not entirely honest with me.

Data point: I updated to .12 about a week or so ago, and just got the map update today. OTA. I have not been connected to wifi in months.

Good to know. Kinda figured this "wifi only" thing was crap.

That said, here I sit with *.12, waiting for *.14 so my podcasts work for the first time in months and so that this MCU1 speed-up can be evaluated.

And yeah, maybe someday I'll get the maps update. Since evidently they won't provide the latter during my upcoming annual service visit.

All of that will have to come in via LTE since there's no way I'm parking close enough to a SBUX to siphon their signal.