Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$382 for a software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car popped up the two alerts in the photo that I've attached.

alerts.jpg

Sounds pretty serious, and the heater and the A/C aren't working, so I immediately take the car to Tesla Service.
They charge me a $255 diagnostic fee (my car is out of warranty by 6 months), keep my car for a week, then determine that there's no actual hardware problem and it's just the result of a bug in the last OTA firmware update. Then they charge me $127 to update the software to a newer version that will hopefully fix the problem.
I feel like I'm getting screwed, but I wanted to get other opinions on this before I go ballistic.
Does this sound reasonable to you guys?
They break my car with a buggy firmware update and I get charged $382?

Update:
The service manager let me explain my viewpoint, and without necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with me, did agree to waive the charge this time.
I'm still curious what others think about this situation. I think I'm in the right, but obviously everyone thinks that about themselves.

With the new update my autopilot stopped working and the update is stuck. Service center wants over 3k to replace the auto pilot computer ECU (B). I’m 10k miles out of warranty. Been seeing alot of us have issues with the update breaking something but still being held to pay.

That is the reason I am not going to update the latest software,But no choice you can stop to install that ,even now tesla superchargers station have that wi-fi ,automated to connect to your car without your permit,after finish the download,and each time you step in your car ,you will see the remind.super annoying

With the new update my autopilot stopped working and the update is stuck. Service center wants over 3k to replace the auto pilot computer ECU (B). I’m 10k miles out of warranty. Been seeing alot of us have issues with the update breaking something but still being held to pay.
This is way late, but may help someone. You may be able to fix this yourself. The stalled update suggests some module crashed during the update.

1. Ensure you can sit in your car for at least 20 minutes, and that it is charged above 50%. This is a precaution.

2. Sit in driver’s seat and press & release the brake to turn the car on.

3. Press and hold in both scroll wheels for 10 or 15 seconds before releasing to restart the MCU. This may resolve the issue.

4. Go into Safety menu, scroll to the bottom and tap on the Power Off button.

5. The car will soon go silent and dark. Sit patiently in the driver’s seat. Do NOT press the brake pedal, open the door or window or use any other control.

6. Sit at least 20 minutes. The car is checking every single module to ensure it responded to the power off. If the module is frozen, it will not power down.

7. The car will command the circuit breaker powering the frozen module to open the circuit, dropping the module’s power. Similar to killing power to an unresponsive home computer.

8. The car will then go through its power-on sequence. Do NOT touch any controls until you see everything is working.

This may allow the update to either complete, restart or fail. At least your autopilot ECU should be working.

During the 2024.3.15 / FSD 12.3.4 update my driver’s side headlight unit froze in the “On” state. No matter what I did, the left headlight stayed on.

I scheduled a Service appointment and received a $2,400 estimate, which I figured was parts and labor for a driver’s side headlight unit replacement.

I was preparing to disassemble the frunk to disconnect the 12 Volt battery and fireman’s high voltage loop. I would wait 10 minutes then reconnect the fireman’s loop and the 12 volt battery.

The Power Off drill above was my last-ditch effort to keep my hands clean. The headlight kept shining for at least 10 minutes after I tapped Power Off.

When the headlight finally went dark, I was tremendously relieved. The car started its power on sequence a minute or two later. Once power was fully restored, I tested the headlights in several ways and confirmed proper operation had been restored.

I canceled the Service appointment. Then patted myself on the back for such effective troubleshooting skills. Also for the insight to purchase such a well-thought-out car, equipped with powerful self-diagnostic and self-healing capabilities.

Last edited: