Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. This is one of the most frustrating changes in 8.0, especially because there's seemingly no explanation for it. I drive on the freeway a TON and like to have the A/C running with the fan anywhere from 1-3. But recirculation is essential as otherwise I start to smell the fumes from all the cars on the freeway. :/

One of the minor release notes was that they'd made the air flow the same for all settings at a given fan speed or something like that.

Maybe the recirc won't go below 4 because the lowest physical fan speed in recirculation is equivalent to fan speed 4 in outside air mode?

Can you hear the fan at all in speed 4?

Does the fan sound the same in recirc 4 and outside 4?

Ummmm. Anyone else had this happen? I'm on my evening commute and my center console has just rebooted twice while driving within about 5 minutes. Black screen, Tesla symbol, then comes back online 30 seconds later. No impact on the steering display and no impact on the drive.

This has never happened to me before, so I'm assuming it's related to 8.0
I had this happen to me today 4-5x within 10-15min of driving. I waited until I got to my destination and rebooted the IC and CID with the brake and two scroll wheels. It's been OK since.

Today my center screen started rebooting, it rebooted about six times in a row. Don't know if it is 8.0 related, this is the third time I have driven since getting 8.0. The S connected tried to connect to a Starbucks WiFi just before it started.
I rarely had this issue with 7.1 but today I also used the Nav to test swipe down to work. I reached my destination and a couple of hours later I leave and it started rebooting right away multiple times.

I had this happen to me today 4-5x within 10-15min of driving. I waited until I got to my destination and rebooted the IC and CID with the brake and two scroll wheels. It's been OK since.
I had this happen to me today as well. I am on 8.0 and this is the first time it has ever happened to me. I called tesla service and they said they are working on a fix and I am not the only one with an issue.

Yup. This is one of the most frustrating changes in 8.0, especially because there's seemingly no explanation for it. I drive on the freeway a TON and like to have the A/C running with the fan anywhere from 1-3. But recirculation is essential as otherwise I start to smell the fumes from all the cars on the freeway. :/

My speculation on this is that:
  1. Late 7.1 builds increased cabin cooling to make the actual cabin temperature more in-line with the set temperature.
  2. 8.0 adds solar heating estimation, which is again increasing cabin cooling for a given setpoint.
  3. With increased compressor cooling, if you run in recirculation mode, the input air temperature to the evaporator can be much lower than if you're taking in outside air.
  4. A minimum fan speed in recirculation mode is now probably necessary to prevent the evaporator from icing, given that the input air temperature is lower in recirc mode and the compressor is cooling more due to the software changes.
If you don't need as much cooling as fan speed 4, use fresh air mode. Yes, I know that means possible odors from outside, but that's what the HEPA filter (Bioweapon defense mode) is for in the X and the newer model S builds.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
Add me to the list with the reboots. Been fine since I got 8 on Monday, but this afternoon on my 20 minute drive it rebooted probably 6 times. I finally did a hard reboot of the screen and it did not occur again - but I was almost home at that point. Weird that it would start all of a sudden like that across the fleet.
Odd, no reboots on this end. I wonder if those of us with large USB collections are immune? Wouldn't that be something!

I have over 16,000 songs on my 128gb USB drive.

So, I'm wondering if the scanning issue is a track limitation and/or a space limitation per volume? I had 150GB scan in 45min, and total tracks were 15k. However, that was 8k on one volume, 5k on another, and the rest spread out over 3 more volumes.

If you feel so inclined, can you try doing two partitions on your 128GB drive and put half on one, half on the other and see if it scans successfully?

Also had a phantom reboot while driving today - top half of screen went black, then bottom half, then Tesla logo standard reboot. I was trying to select a wifi source at the time while driving, similar to another owner posting above. Hope it's fixed in 8.1, or sooner.