Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So disappointed today..autosteer was not available my whole commute to work. The sensors don't pick up the raised sets of dots that define the lanes here in Hawaii...for some reason it works at night though, maybe because the dots are reflective? Anyone else have lane sensing issues like this?

that is a lot more gentle that I had started to write and then ended up not posting. Yes, their PR and overall communication is source of massive embarrassment.

Tesla certainly has communication problems, but this is not one of them, to me. They are a business that sells cars, and they are trying to sell you a car. If you don't want to receive marketing info from them, ask to be removed from the list.

I spend a lot of time in Vegas playing poker and I frequently complain to my friends that live there that I cannot see the lane marking at all during the day (they do work great at night). I'm not terribly surprised that the Tesla struggles there. On the six to eight lane surface streets, I literally just sort of pick an area that seems like it should be a lane.
There are definitely some places around town with inadequate lane markings. I'm talking about freeways where the turtles are very clear and visible, and yet the car seems to have no clue at all. It appears to be a type of lane marking that Tesla did not develop the software to recognize.

So after the whirlwind of new installs in the first 24h since release the next 12h have been significantly calmer. Depending on how I want to read the data (so do I use when people entered the data or when I got the notification that they entered the data), it appears that only 16 people have added an entry for having received 7.0 today - compared to 186 for yesterday (and a slightly puzzling 11 for Wednesday given that the first reports of having seen the upgrade notification came in about 11pm PDT Wed night).
Either way - a lot fewer people reporting that they got 7.0 today.

So after the whirlwind of new installs in the first 24h since release the next 12h have been significantly calmer. Depending on how I want to read the data (so do I use when people entered the data or when I got the notification that they entered the data), it appears that only 16 people have added an entry for having received 7.0 today - compared to 186 for yesterday (and a slightly puzzling 11 for Wednesday given that the first reports of having seen the upgrade notification came in about 11pm PDT Wed night).
Either way - a lot fewer people reporting that they got 7.0 today.

It's likely shifting from those who are anxious about getting the update ASAP and watch the forums or other venues about it reporting, versus owners who simply are enjoying their cars and don't visit TMC daily.

... different people are proportioned differently and have different positions in which they are comfortable. At least one other poster specifically explained that his trunk is a little longer than the average and his arms and legs a little shorter, for example.
The thing is, I don't think I'm unusually proportioned at all. Average height, average torso, no T-rex arms. But my arms are most comfortable when I'm sitting close enough and the steering wheel is low enough to block the very top of the instrument panel. It took me a while to find the best position, but now I love it. Or at least I did when I could still see the speedometer.

I just want to correct the impression that it's only physically unusual people who have this issue. There are probably quite a few people like me.

The thing is, I don't think I'm unusually proportioned at all. Average height, average torso, no T-rex arms. But my arms are most comfortable when I'm sitting close enough and the steering wheel is low enough to block the very top of the instrument panel. It took me a while to find the best position, but now I love it. Or at least I did when I could still see the speedometer.

I just want to correct the impression that it's only physically unusual people who have this issue. There are probably quite a few people like me.

I had the same issue..Since i'm only 5'1", my steering wheel was pretty low so it did block the top of the dash. Was able to raise it a little to a pretty comfortable viewing position.:smile:

Auto Pilot Doesn't Recognize Freeway Side Block

Tried out Auto Pilot yesterday and it seems like the current AP doesn't handle freeway side block and cone very well. It drives uncomfortably close to the freeway cone on the side, and when there freeway construction side blocks start to show up, it still tries to follow the lane marker on the floor and ignore the fact that there are concrete blocks on the left. My dash cam picked up a close call scenario while I was testing, if I hadn't grabbed the steering wheel and intervene, it would've run into the concrete block (Never mind the date stamp on the video, the dash cam's date wasn't set correctly, and I promise you this video wasn't recorded in 2012 :p ).:

[video=vimeo;142677485]https://vimeo.com/142677485[/video]

At the beginning the video, you can see the car favored the left side, driving very close to the cone, and at around 37 seconds mark, the car was trying to follow the lane marker on floor and steering towards the concrete block on the left.

Anyone has similar encounters?

Sounds more like Coiled is letting go of the turn stalk when the car is physically halfway to the next lane, but logically, the car doesn't think so yet.
It only happened to me once, but I don't think that's it. I think if you stop signalling before the car has both wheels in the new lane, it will veer back to the original lane. If that's true (need to test it when I'm not in traffic), then it's pretty terrible, non-intuitive behavior.

For those saying you have to be able to cancel a lane change, I would say of course, but turning off the turn signal is simply not the way to do it. I can physically turn the wheel or signal the other direction, for example. But once I'm more than halfway into a new lane, the expectation of myself and everyone around me is that I'm committed to the lane change unless I take active measures to change back. Letting go of the stalk should not cause me to veer back unintentionally. That is far more likely to cause an accident than completing the lane change.

It only happened to me once, but I don't think that's it. I think if you stop signalling before the car has both wheels in the new lane, it will veer back to the original lane. If that's true (need to test it when I'm not in traffic), then it's pretty terrible, non-intuitive behavior.

Others have posted in threads and videos online that once they are about halfway through to the adjoining lane, if they turn off the turn signal, the car continues to complete its lane change rather than veering back to the original lane. It is this, coupled with the car getting confused with the turtle-markers that makes me wonder if the car didn't realize it was halfway over to the next lane when you disengaged the turn signal. Hopefully further testing on your part will confirm either way and, hopefully soon, MobileEye will provide Tesla an update that reads Vegas' turtles better.

I had the same experience here in Vegas. The turtles are almost certainly the issue. I did find I could engage AP if I was in either the far right or left lanes since they had an adjacent painted line (on 215)... But it drifted a bit too much toward the other lane for my comfort (and that if the driver in said lane... I was quickly given a wide birth). Like your experience, AP would hunt quite a bit in the lane.
Good to know it's not just my car.

For what it's worth, when the turtles are sitting on top of a painted stripe, even an old, faded, barely-visible stripe, the car is much better at identifying the lane. I get the distinct impression that "turtles only" is not a situation that was considered during the development or testing of autosteer.

My problem is, when I want to drive from my house near the outskirts down to the Vegas valley floor, it's turtles all the way down. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Others have posted in threads and videos online that once they are about halfway through to the adjoining lane, if they turn off the turn signal, the car continues to complete its lane change rather than veering back to the original lane.
Will definitely test it some more then. Thanks.

Good to know it's not just my car.

For what it's worth, when the turtles are sitting on top of a painted stripe, even an old, faded, barely-visible stripe, the car is much better at identifying the lane. I get the distinct impression that "turtles only" is not a situation that was considered during the development or testing of autosteer.

My problem is, when I want to drive from my house near the outskirts down to the Vegas valley floor, it's turtles all the way down. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Will definitely test it some more then. Thanks.

I was wondering what Turtles were. In Ca we call them Botts Dots.

I drove a section on I 5 today with Dots only and the car had no problem distinguishing them correctly

Turtles seems to be a Oregon, Washington thing :)
Botts' dots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia