Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things seem confusing. There were changes to the behavior with muting when getting out of and back into the car.
Some P85 owners seem to say that performance and consumption improved in .153 but I don't think there's hard data.
Most everything else seems to be more applicable to Ds.
And no one seems to know what's new in 101.36.2 which so far has only been seen in older pre-AP cars...

code_zpscp3wnwug.png

I have this printed out and posted on the door to my office at work :)

I have .153 and was pleased with some fixes... BUT, just went to use Valet mode, and that function disappeared. SAY WHAT?
Got .160 last night. It still has Valet mode. I wonder if rebooting your center console (holding in both scroll wheels on the steering wheel until the screen goes black and restarts) would bring it back? Previous updates seem to have required more than one reboot to fix odd glitches like this.

A word of warning: once you use Valet mode, don't ever forget your PIN! I had previously tried out Valet mode after the last firmware update, and for some reason thought the PIN was cleared once you successfully entered it to leave that mode. Then I tried selecting Valet mode just now, and it immediately went back into that mode without asking me to set a PIN. I had to rack my brain to remember the original PIN that I set last time (which I deliberately wanted to be something different than, say, my ATM PIN.) There is a reset available if you know your MyTesla password; fortunately I didn't need to find out if that worked.

I suppose if you're pulling up to a valet stand, you don't want to be fumbling around to set a PIN while the valet is waiting, but I like the idea of being able to set a new PIN each time (sort of like a hotel safe), so it's fresh in my mind.

And it turns out there is already a thread on this subject that I missed seeing before.

Last edited:
With my 101.36.2 in my Classic the seat belt chime only rings 3 times then stops when you first get in or if you take the belt off when still in D. It used to stay on until the belt was latched. Anyone else notice this?

It's always chimed a few times and then turned off ever since I got my car 14 months ago. Before anyone gets upset at me not wearing my seat belt: I back out of the garage first, and then put it on when I put the car in drive. Had to do it that way with my old car to turn around and see when backing up, and the habit has stuck even with the camera equipped MS.

After my upgrade to .160, during the first few drives my car was located (on the nav map) about 200-300 feet southeast of where it was really located. Since then, it appears as if it may have self-corrected, but it was very odd.

I rarely drive without a seat belt, even when just doing quick repositions and such.

The behavior I've experienced the handful of times I didn't was that it would chime for quite a while (minute or so?), then give up for a short while, then repeat. It never fully gave up. Even with the passenger belt if there was a passenger... or annoyingly, if I had a box or heavy bag on the passenger seat, requiring me to buckle the passenger belt.

Some quick observations having taken a couple of short trips with .168:

The first only happened once, on the "outbound" leg, but not on the other end, so I have no idea what to make of this, but I'll explain, and continue to monitor it. In the past, if I had charged the car to say, 90% with range mode off, and it showed a charge of, say, 227 range miles, when I turned range mode on, just before starting a trip that I was also going to be tracking mileage for, the remaining range would change to 229 just after I turned range mode on. (I think it changed when I left that menu selection.) I noticed today that it did not change. Now I had also supercharged for the first time, so I can't say what the behavior would have been like before immediately after supercharging. But this time, with .168, when I made the switch from range mode off to range mode on, the remaining range did not increase by the expected two miles (or by anything.) I noticed as I started driving that it did seem that the rated range did not decrease for some time, so that may be where the increase was accounted for, but that makes measuring range used a bit difficult. I expected to see the same behavior when I reached the end of my trip and switched range mode off, meaning that unlike before .168, when the remaining range would have immediately decreased by a couple of miles, it would not. However that's NOT what I saw. The behavior when turning range mode off was exactly as before: my remaining rated range decreased by two miles.

Take the above for what it's worth. I realize most of you probably don't care about this.

Another thing I paid attention to was audio volume when opening and closing the door. I can't tell a difference from the behavior now, and the behavior I believe I've always had. With the audio playing if I open the door it continues playing, but at a lower volume. When I close the door the volume increases to where it was. If this is different from what was happening in .136 and .153 and other versions then it may well be "fixed." I went straight from .124 to .168. If it was also "broken" in .124, I guess I must not have noticed it. If I've misunderstood what people see as the problem, feel free to disregard this part too.

I can't say anything about acceleration in insane mode because my wife was in the car and she gets motion sick if I drive in any way other than the proverbial little old lady who only drives on Sundays. I can say that one concern I had was that the go pedal would be so much more sensitive that the car would be a little tougher to drive efficiently in Insane mode, and I did not notice that at all. I expect the increased power is probably there if we ask for it, but it does not seem to be an issue if we don't. So that's good.

As a new owner, how do you know the updates are available? I know the iPhone app has a notification setting to let me know when it's installed but do we get a notification that it's available and then do we initiate the download Or is it all transparent until it's installed?
Your Tesla app will send a notice. Then there will always be a small clock at the top of the 17" screen. Touch it and set the time for the update

Hmmmm. From a safety perspective shouldn't it keep chiming until you buckle it? Just weird that it changed I guess.
There are times when it intelligently doesn't chime, but I can't give you the well-researched if-then statements. For an example, in the ferry lineup we often take our belts off. When the ferry loads, we usually are travelling under 15km/hr, and the chimes do not activate (or, maybe they just activate once for 5 seconds). If I go above 15, they chime at frequent regular intervals. I like it!!

And I can't recall this changing recently, it's been this way for months at least.