Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting... I presume you have auto-presenting handles and auto-locking? It seems the car really did lose sight of the key right then, and decided to lock itself. At that point it's no surprise it refused to unlock, but it's still surprising that it lost contact with the key. Your duffel back isn't made of metal, is it? :) In all seriousness, I'm curious what Tesla's official response is in these kinds of instances.

I think it's a known issue that if a key fob is close to a cell phone, the key fob may not work.

In Dirk's case, the fob may have been far enough from the phone (or at the correct angle to be read by the car or something) as Dirk approached the car, but then when Dirk tossed the bag in the car the fob or the phone or both moved enough such that they were then close enough to each other to be able to confuse the car.

I don't see this as a huge mystery, and I don't think Dirk does either, since he mentioned that his phone was in the bag in his first post about this, which I took as an indication that he recognized that as the issue.

I think it's a known issue that if a key fob is close to a cell phone, the key fob may not work.

In Dirk's case, the fob may have been far enough from the phone (or at the correct angle to be read by the car or something) as Dirk approached the car, but then when Dirk tossed the bag in the car the fob or the phone or both moved enough such that they were then close enough to each other to be able to confuse the car.

I don't see this as a huge mystery, and I don't think Dirk does either, since he mentioned that his phone was in the bag in his first post about this, which I took as an indication that he recognized that as the issue.

The phone and the key are in separate pockets of the duffel, about a foot apart. So no, I don't see this as the likely explanation, TBH.
I do this eight to ten times a week. Key and phone in the same positions in the bag. Walk up to the car, car unlocks. So I'm quite certain that's not the issue.

The phone and the key are in separate pockets of the duffel, about a foot apart. So no, I don't see this as the likely explanation, TBH.
I do this eight to ten times a week. Key and phone in the same positions in the bag. Walk up to the car, car unlocks. So I'm quite certain that's not the issue.

OK. Well, then that's just odd!

Edit: I don't know how the interference between the phone and the fob works, but is it possible that the interference issue would be amplified if the phone was actually making a connection of some sort at the precise instant the car was trying to contact the fob? So, for example, if the one time this happened to Dirk his phone happened to be receiving a text message or an email message at precisely the wrong instant, could that explain this?

Last edited:
OK. Well, then that's just odd!

Edit: I don't know how the interference between the phone and the fob works, but is it possible that the interference issue would be amplified if the phone was actually making a connection of some sort at the precise instant the car was trying to contact the fob? So, for example, if the one time this happened to Dirk his phone happened to be receiving a text message or an email message at the precise wrong instant, could that explain this?

My guess is that cell phones and key fobs operate on similar bands, but key fobs operate at very very low power levels and they are easily overwhelmed by the (comparatively) high powered transmitter in the phone. If the phone is in a weak cell area and using higher power this problem may be worse. The phone proximity problem has existed for every "smart" fob I've owned, Tesla or otherwise.

Disclaimer: I an not an RF engineer, this is an educated guess.

My guess is that cell phones and key fobs operate on similar bands, but key fobs operate at very very low power levels and they are easily overwhelmed by the (comparatively) high powered transmitter in the phone. If the phone is in a weak cell area and using higher power this problem may be worse. The phone proximity problem has existed for every "smart" fob I've owned, Tesla or otherwise.

This makes sense. Also, when tossing the bag in the car the relative position of the phone and the key to each other certainly would be different from the way they are arranged when I carry the bag.
So I don't want to make a statement "no, it can't have been interference". That certainly wasn't the first thought that came to mind but it does seem plausible.

This makes sense. Also, when tossing the bag in the car the relative position of the phone and the key to each other certainly would be different from the way they are arranged when I carry the bag.
So I don't want to make a statement "no, it can't have been interference". That certainly wasn't the first thought that came to mind but it does seem plausible.

What Stoneymonster suggested was along the same lines as what I was thinking when I mentioned "getting a text or an e-mail." I was looking for something that would have been different that one time, since you were in the same location (you said it was after a workout) as the other multiple times per week when you did the same thing, yet the result was different. (Presumably the signal strength would have been roughly the same.)

Fragile technology!

And to bring the conversation back to Firmware 6.2... after six weeks of a steady trickle of 2.5.46 we just got the first report of 2.5.58 installed on a P85D.

In the notes I think there's a name suggestion "Kanye"... I was more going for "Godot" (since none of us are waiting for another 6.2 point release...)

And to bring the conversation back to Firmware 6.2... after six weeks of a steady trickle of 2.5.46 we just got the first report of 2.5.58 installed on a P85D.

In the notes I think there's a name suggestion "Kanye"... I was more going for "Godot" (since none of us are waiting for another 6.2 point release...)

Godot is good. I like it!

Edit: I don't understand the Kanye reference, but it is the first poster's prerogative to name it, so I think Kanye it is, unless xcvbn changes his or her mind.

More like 2 weeks?
Yes, no idea what I was thinking. First report 8/28.
We have a second submission of .58, this time a non-AP P85. So it seems like a general release. Interestingly both appear to have had LTE issue with the previous firmware, but .58 doesn't appear to have fixed those.

- - - Updated - - -

Get a room you two!:rolleyes:
We have a room. Right here. We've been living in sin for a long time!

Last FW nickname was 'Taylor Swift'. Kanye has a bit of a history with Taylor Swift, something about a music awards ceremony ;-)

OK, yes, he was going to let her finish and all that. But was there more to it than that?

I suggested Taylor Swift for the last version because it got rid of the shudder that many people had been experiencing at low speeds. I made the suggestion, and posted Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" video.

Does this version fix the navigation system in some way? Or did it introduce a bug where songs play part way through, and then are interrupted? In either case, Kanye would be a great name.

OK, yes, he was going to let her finish and all that. But was there more to it than that?

I suggested Taylor Swift for the last version because it got rid of the shudder that many people had been experiencing at low speeds. I made the suggestion, and posted Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" video.

Does this version fix the navigation system in some way? Or did it introduce a bug where songs play part way through, and then are interrupted? In either case, Kanye would be a great name.

No, this FW doesn't interrupt you while you are making acceptance speeches.

It also doesn't fix the LTE reception problems. My daily drive still requires multiple touchscreen reboots.

Applied *.58 yesterday. With no release notes again, it is impossible to know (although easy to guess) what the intent of the patch was. Service said it may fix the LTE problems I've experienced since the retrofit (car out of contact with Tesla for 6-7 hours at a time, no voice control, no remote app access, no map tiles).

So far, and this is after another MCU reboot, no conclusive joy. In fact, Slacker is now stuck playing the same song *but* I have all other functionality referenced above. This is new behavior. Heretofore, the only time Slacker would play the same song was when the car was out of tower range. And at that, the behavior was slightly different.

This experience only reinforces the need for high-level release notes if only, by clarifying what the release does address, to clarify what the release is *not* intended to address. Release Management 101, in other words.

Applied *.58 yesterday. With no release notes again, it is impossible to know (although easy to guess) what the intent of the patch was. Service said it may fix the LTE problems I've experienced since the retrofit (car out of contact with Tesla for 6-7 hours at a time, no voice control, no remote app access, no map tiles).

So far, and this is after another MCU reboot, no conclusive joy. In fact, Slacker is now stuck playing the same song *but* I have all other functionality referenced above. This is new behavior. Heretofore, the only time Slacker would play the same song was when the car was out of tower range. And at that, the behavior was slightly different.

This experience only reinforces the need for high-level release notes if only, by clarifying what the release does address, to clarify what the release is *not* intended to address. Release Management 101, in other words.

Wouldn't that mean that Tesla will have to admit fixing something that got screwed up in a previous release? Like the recent shuddering, the P85Ds dying spontaneously after Tesla screwed up the range mode function shortly after launch, etc. This could get hairy.

Many Android apps just say "bug fixes". I'm pretty sure we can assume Tesla is saying whenever they send us an update without updated release notes.

As much as I too would like to see real release notes with each update there's nothing that says Tesla is obligated to do so. Getting all worked up about it doesn't help anything.

My beta, oops I mean classic, 2012 P85 has seen its share of issues. So far I haven't had to pay for more than new tires and cleaning up a scratched rim. That rim was scratched again in a few weeks! Always Tesla has treated me more than fairly. I'm not complaining!

Many Android apps just say "bug fixes". I'm pretty sure we can assume Tesla is saying whenever they send us an update without updated release notes.

As much as I too would like to see real release notes with each update there's nothing that says Tesla is obligated to do so. Getting all worked up about it doesn't help anything.
Actually, Tesla has improved what they are doing compared to earlier releases. In the 6.2 series we got a few updates to the release notes. Not every time, not addressing specific bugs. But baby steps in the right direction.
I'm quick to criticize Tesla when they get stuff wrong - so I should be equally diligent to acknowledge when they get stuff right :)