Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Week into using .179 and I got a "car needs service call tesla service center" message. Driving seems okay.... Not sure if this is related to .179 or what. Anybody else getting this message?

Was range mode on?

Did the error message go away if you restarted the car or rebooted the display or both?

If you can answer yes to both of the above, that sounds like what was happening to people who had this in the .167 version of the firmware, but naturally you should still call Tesla.

Week into using .179 and I got a "car needs service call tesla service center" message. Driving seems okay.... Not sure if this is related to .179 or what. Anybody else getting this message?

This message comes in 2 flavors: yellow, and red.

Yellow is generally a non-critical error. I've had it happen many times, and is cleared either after driving a bit, or after a reboot. This could be something very rudimentary, like TPMS radio briefly couldn't detect a sensor, or you lost 3G when at an auto-raise location (both of which have generated yellow warning for me). If you get one of these yellow ones and it clears, it is good to report to service, but not critical. I never have.

Red is critical. If you get a red one, it ain't good, and I'd recommend calling service immediately. I suspect the .167 range mode issues were red... but since I've got a bulletproof P Classic, I wouldn't know:rolleyes:

Hmm... Not sure what color it was. rebooted it and it came back with the same message. Started driving and it went away. Never called tesla - but that's because I figured they would just default to "bring your car in" (nearest center is 3 hours away). Good to know they can remote in! Thanks for the info. I'll call next time.

Im not convinced this was 179 related if I'm the only one getting this.

This happens to me after every software update at the service center. So annoying!

Me too. I hadn't noticed if it was only on updates at the SC but that might be the case. I've had many of my updates done at the SC and it seems like almost every update breaks this. The most annoying part is that sometimes I have to jump through hoops to make it relearn by adding and deleting users and switching back and forth a few times. My car actually came like this when I first bought it where it wouldn't remember the mirror positions. I'll have to keep an eye out for whether this only happens after updates at the SC.

I've had .179 installed for about a week. My S is in Service today and they said they'll push another update while the car is there. No major change they said.
Cosmetic fixes I guess (in French, some texts overlap buttons, making them inoperable).

Yellow is generally a non-critical error.

And here I am the exception to the rule again :smile: Last week when I had my main pack failure (contactors in the pack, actually), all of the dire warnings about the car shutting down, contact Tesla etc. were all in Yellow. Even my PRND indicator stayed white and didn't turn red as others have reported in similar circumstances. I'd say stuck at the side of the road with no traction power and no heat would have warranted at least a little bid of red.

And here I am the exception to the rule again :smile: Last week when I had my main pack failure (contactors in the pack, actually), all of the dire warnings about the car shutting down, contact Tesla etc. were all in Yellow. Even my PRND indicator stayed white and didn't turn red as others have reported in similar circumstances. I'd say stuck at the side of the road with no traction power and no heat would have warranted at least a little bid of red.

Those MC Red pixels are more expensive, so they try to use it sparingly ;)

Here's a 6.1 feature I haven't read about anywhere: Cup holder heating and cooling

Tesla Model S cup holders learn a new trick | Simon Hackett

img_7227.jpg

Edit: I got trolled

Last edited:
Doesn't work on my car.

It doesn't work on my car either, and I have the heated steering wheel, for what that's worth.

I'm wondering if the cup holders look different. It would be great to see a good picture of the cup holders on a Model S that has this enabled. If the cup holders don't look different, I guess it is possible that this is a feature that just hasn't been enabled for some of us yet. (But I'm not holding my breath.)

Edit:

I wish this were true, but it's a spoof! Follow the link and at the very bottom of the page in small print is:
(p.s. By the way… ‘just kidding’ – but I do wish it was real :) )

Well, OK, now I feel like an idiot.

Has anyone experienced problems on .179 with the USB ports? Since getting .179 iPhones don't charge, and playing music from a memory stick only occasionally works - seemingly randomly. It was working fine before .179 but I also had some work done on the car since it was last working. This doesn't seem to be hardware as it seems to work occasionally - at least on one of the ports. Also both ports seemed to work for an older android device for some reason.

Has anyone experienced problems on .179 with the USB ports? Since getting .179 iPhones don't charge, and playing music from a memory stick only occasionally works - seemingly randomly. It was working fine before .179 but I also had some work done on the car since it was last working. This doesn't seem to be hardware as it seems to work occasionally - at least on one of the ports. Also both ports seemed to work for an older android device for some reason.

Haven't noticed anything like this.

Not really helpful, but since you mentioned charging iPhones and Android phones from the USB ports, I'd highly recommend getting one of these, and charging both from the 12V:

Amazon.com: Anker® 4.8A / 24W 2-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Motorola, Nokia and More (Black): Cell Phones Accessories

The iPhone or another Apple device will charge faster, at 2.1 Amps, and some Android devices might as well. (I've read that the USB ports don't charge at 2.1 Amps. If this is incorrect then this information is not as valuable, though it will still save your USB ports for your music, and allow you to charge two phones at once.)

I have one of the above in my car, with both an Apple Lightning charging cable and a Micro USB cable (for my Android phone) permanently attached, so that both my wife and I can charge our phones. Just waiting for the day when the cables can be hidden in the obeche matte front console.