Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced problems on .179 with the USB ports? Since getting .179 iPhones don't charge, and playing music from a memory stick only occasionally works - seemingly randomly. It was working fine before .179 but I also had some work done on the car since it was last working. This doesn't seem to be hardware as it seems to work occasionally - at least on one of the ports. Also both ports seemed to work for an older android device for some reason.

I am still able to charge my iphone 5 after receiving .179 with the car's usb ports. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Faster USB charging requires using the power port (not USB ports) with a high power adapter AND having a cable that supports the faster charging.

I installed an app on my Android phone and tested cables until I found a combination that supported the high speed charging.

Note that the microUSB charging cable installed in the Tesla console does support high speed charging, if it is moved from a USB port to a high power adapter plugged into the power port.

That sounds more like a cable with a faulty connection. Try using a new cable.
Doesnt sound like anyone else has this issue but I have reported this problem to the local service center and I'll report back if I learn anything useful. Thanks for all suggestions, some responses here.
For the record, I have rebooted both screens multiple times with no improvement. I have tried three different cables including the one that was originally working. I have tested the cables with other charging devices and they all work fine. Also the USB drive occasionally works in one of the slots but never in the other slot. The Samsung Nexus seems to work using the original cable though I didn't check that it was really charging. To be clear, the same phone with one of theses cables was working fine on .167. I think I will get a 12 v charger anyway which I can use instead though the USB drive need capability is virtually non functional too and I will still push for a fix.

Doesnt sound like anyone else has this issue but I have reported this problem to the local service center and I'll report back if I learn anything useful. Thanks for all suggestions, some responses here.
For the record, I have rebooted both screens multiple times with no improvement. I have tried three different cables including the one that was originally working. I have tested the cables with other charging devices and they all work fine. Also the USB drive occasionally works in one of the slots but never in the other slot. The Samsung Nexus seems to work using the original cable though I didn't check that it was really charging. To be clear, the same phone with one of theses cables was working fine on .167. I think I will get a 12 v charger anyway which I can use instead though the USB drive need capability is virtually non functional too and I will still push for a fix.
Greg, this is Tesla karma for your cancel/re-order :)

A long standing bug I've had that is not apparently fixed in 6.1 so far, is with the "end call and transfer" option. (with iPhone 5s. If I have a second call come in and I select End Call And Transfer, it always puts the first call on hold. I reported this a while back but I think I'll report it again. I don't think I've wver seen anyone else report it though. The option does work when used through the phone directly. In thinking about this further, and bearing in mind that nobody else seems to be reporting this I wonder if this is network dependent somehow.

Believe it or not, the Dodge Avenger has that feature, or at least it used to. It also had some kind of cooled area in or above the glove box if memory serves. Strange how certain cars focus on particular feature sets. Guess they decided that the Avenger would be all about having appropriate beverage temperatures.

A long standing bug I've had that is not apparently fixed in 6.1 so far, is with the "end call and transfer" option. (with iPhone 5s. If I have a second call come in and I select End Call And Transfer, it always puts the first call on hold. I reported this a while back but I think I'll report it again. I don't think I've wver seen anyone else report it though. The option does work when used through the phone directly. In thinking about this further, and bearing in mind that nobody else seems to be reporting this I wonder if this is network dependent somehow.
I just had this issue on my S a few days ago. My phone is a n HTC One M8. I couldn't even drop the first call with the button that said it would drop the call. I had to end both calls and call back.

I was upgraded to Firmware 6.1 2.2.179 with a ranger last week. While he was installing he indicated that this update while mainly for the D models, WILL INCREASE RANGE, by providing better efficiency while coasting or at low cruising power levels, I would also notice a difference in my P+. Last night I did a drive to my Dad's house, which is a trip I do almost weekly. I normally use 310 to 320 Wh/mi. Following this upgrade, I used 272 Wh/mi. This is a HUGE increase in range!! This is only the first evidence I have.

Does anyone else have this version yet? Are you seeing the same increases??

I was upgraded to Firmware 6.1 2.2.179 with a ranger last week. While he was installing he indicated that this update while mainly for the D models, WILL INCREASE RANGE, by providing better efficiency while coasting or at low cruising power levels, I would also notice a difference in my P+. Last night I did a drive to my Dad's house, which is a trip I do almost weekly. I normally use 310 to 320 Wh/mi. Following this upgrade, I used 272 Wh/mi. This is a HUGE increase in range!! This is only the first evidence I have.

Where have you been? .179 has been discussed here for weeks... and yesterday someone claimed to have seen .180
I have .179 on my car and compared to the S60 on trips that I have done many times with the S60 my Wh/mile run about 20% higher than with the 60. So I have 30% more battery and 20% more consumption. Not exactly what I envisioned :-/

60 always used less power than an 85, though. That's nothing new. It makes sense that it would be even more apparent compared with a P85D.

Where have you been? .179 has been discussed here for weeks... and yesterday someone claimed to have seen .180
I have .179 on my car and compared to the S60 on trips that I have done many times with the S60 my Wh/mile run about 20% higher than with the 60. So I have 30% more battery and 20% more consumption. Not exactly what I envisioned :-/

Here is a picture of my dash, P85D, trip from Los Angeles to San Diego (yesterday), tacc set to 72mph the whole way (insane & range mode).

Dash.jpg

FYI: my lifetime wH/mi with my P85 @ 12,000 miles was 360 wH/mi.

Last edited:

I've had the pleasure of driving a brand-new P85D loaner all day today while my P85 is in for service. Done quite a lot of testing with it. It has 6.1 (2.2.179).

I did my usual 51-mile "economy test" route through, which includes some freeway driving & regular roads, traffic jams, a little bit of uphill & downhill, and generally very gentle acceleration that probably puzzles other motorists. One half of the trip I did with RANGE ON, the return half of the trip I did with RANGE OFF to see if it made any difference. In my P85 both halves of the trip are generally made using about 265-275Wh/mile. The P85D did it with 299Wh/mile on both halves of the trip (I was surprised that it was the same number on both directions but there you have it). I am not sure if this should be viewed as "economical" and I don't have any older P85D data to go on. Theoretically though, at some point the rear motor on this P85D ought to have gone to sleep, allowing the car to use the front (smaller) motor and less energy than my P85. From the trip data, this never happened. P85D currently using about 10% more than the P85 while driving in the same manner. While gunning the P85D for fun, of course, it gets much worse although my average for the entire day has been 343Wh/mile which is still 99MPG!!!