Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Todd, that's an annoying bug indeed. We have the camera up top all the time so, that wouldn't be it. We haven't had any issues with the guidelines.

@Andy, it's possible. Or, deep cycling as I was hypothesizing - there were anecdotes earlier about the battery management system calibrating itself better with deeper charge cycles or charging closer to 100%.

Got 6.1 (113) yesterday (over cellular as most of my updates seem to come) and have to say it is a fantastic upgrade! Really cool to have features that were not expected when I got the care over a year ago and that came totally free. Guide lines are helpful and seem to be dead on for my tire paths. Trip predictor/new nav features are great and of course I love the shuffle. Can't imagine how happy you guys getting all the auto brights and TACC are! Way to go Tesla!

Got the update notice this morning. Yay!

Started the install tonight.

a4288b8be57c6c957e8887b109ad6637.jpg

Getting excited...

3601324b4aa03937198ebe967fe60f1f.jpg

Whirrs and clicks starting!

5df1dcd2e0ba5af26a0140f27b967924.jpg

Oh no! I have to wait even more... Arghhhh!

a4f49910839790aa0d90552be8c6b7c4.jpg

So I'm still stuck at 6.0. :mad:

I'm actually sorry to hear that was it. It would have been more interesting if it wasn't!

Now as for the fact that your 90% is still resulting in a few more range miles than the rest of us, I wonder if now that could be a result of the fact that for some time you've actually been charging to something like 93 or 94%, and after a few charges to 90% you're going to settle in where the rest of us are now.

I think it's just a deep cycle.

I hit 231 yesterday after getting the battery low then supercharging back to 90%. I've never charged to anything but 90%.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I didn't drive the car after the 231 charge at 7:00pm, I charged the car immediatly upon arriving home because I didn't want the battery to sit at a low SOC. I was surprised to see the charge complete messages in the morning and I doubt it actually charged.

- - - Updated - - -

My charge is scheduled to start at 5:00am.

I think it's just a deep cycle.

I hit 231 yesterday after getting the battery low then supercharging back to 90%. I've never charged to anything but 90%.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I didn't drive the car after the 231 charge at 7:00pm, I charged the car immediatly upon arriving home because I didn't want the battery to sit at a low SOC. I was surprised to see the charge complete messages in the morning and I doubt it actually charged.

Interesting.

When you say you charged right away to avoid letting the battery sit with a low SOC, how low is low enough for you to charge immediately as opposed to waiting for your normal charge time? I don't think we've ever had our battery in a very low SOC, but I think once or twice we may have gotten in down to 40 or 45 range miles remaining, and I'm not sure if at those times I charged immediately or had it charge at 1:00 AM. I'd like to do the right thing in the future.

Thanks!

When you say you charged right away to avoid letting the battery sit with a low SOC, how low is low enough for you to charge immediately as opposed to waiting for your normal charge time? I don't think we've ever had our battery in a very low SOC, but I think once or twice we may have gotten in down to 40 or 45 range miles remaining, and I'm not sure if at those times I charged immediately or had it charge at 1:00 AM. I'd like to do the right thing in the future./QUOTE]

Anytime the bar is not green would be a good clue to charge sooner rather than later.

Hey Todd,

I'm fascinated by your bug. (I used to do this for a living...). Why would your car be doing this but no one else's? How did you get into this corner case?

The software I used to work with had much much more complex user input. The Tesla although is complex, the user doesn't really do all that much. I'm wondering if you have a bad chip or something. Its just odd. There just isn't that much different that you can choose with the camera "I want it on", "I want it in this window" etc....

My mind is racing in silly ways...

If I didn't, then I wouldn't get any backup lines.

Besides, posting here usually informs them. They watch these forums.

Interesting.

When you say you charged right away to avoid letting the battery sit with a low SOC, how low is low enough for you to charge immediately as opposed to waiting for your normal charge time? I don't think we've ever had our battery in a very low SOC, but I think once or twice we may have gotten in down to 40 or 45 range miles remaining, and I'm not sure if at those times I charged immediately or had it charge at 1:00 AM. I'd like to do the right thing in the future.

Thanks!

When I returned home I had about 15 miles of range remaining. In those cases, usually I'll charge to around 50%, then let it charge back to 90% at my normally scheduled time. In this case I forgot to stop the charge before it completed. We know that with lithium ion batteries, sitting fully charged, and sitting with a low charge increase degradation. Therefore, I work to avoid either extreme.

I'll generally charge back to 50% if I have <50 miles remaining. I'm probably being more paranoid than I need to be with the reserve Tesla keeps on the low end.

I received the 6.1 update yesterday and I noted that the steering feel has been tuned for better performance at higher speeds. It feels a bit heavier to me now in all modes at highway speeds vs. 6.0. I like how the steering feels better than before. It's not quite so twitchy (not that it was twitchy before, but it just feels more solid to me with this flavor of 6.1) I have noticed it hasn't been mentioned in the previous messages in the thread. Is this a new revision that was recently included in new builds of 6.1?

IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG

I understand many folks are finding the prediction too optimistic. We all vary quite a bit in our driving styles, and preference for efficiency vs speed. EVTripplanner.com deals with this with a master speed adjustment factor. The default for this factor is 1.0, which computes its prediction based upon the local speed limits for each segment of your trip. You can set this factor to 1.1, 1.2, etc to make the estimate less optimistic, if your drive faster than the speed limits. Perhaps Tesla could include a similar factor.

A small correction: The speed factor in EVTripPlanner is a multiplier on average speeds on the route, not the speed limits. A 1.0 multiplier should have you moving with average traffic, which is often a little faster than the speed limit. If you look at the details tab, you can see what speed this is, for each segment of the route.

Did Newark, DE to Glen Allen, VA today in the future wife's P85. Was able to beat the energy estimate graph by a few %, but it was pretty good overall. Most driving north of DC at ~65 and south of DC at 75-80.

2015-01-25 15.18.49-small.jpg

2015-01-25 15.18.52-small.jpg

Hoping they update the P85D with torque sleep as promised so it is just as nice.

Last edited:
Useful tidbit: If you set your nav to your destination when you get to a supercharger, the energy estimate will update as you supercharge. Charging until the "Drive slowly to reach destination" message goes away, plus a few %, seems sane. :)

Hey Todd,

I'm fascinated by your bug. (I used to do this for a living...). Why would your car be doing this but no one else's? How did you get into this corner case?

The software I used to work with had much much more complex user input. The Tesla although is complex, the user doesn't really do all that much. I'm wondering if you have a bad chip or something. Its just odd. There just isn't that much different that you can choose with the camera "I want it on", "I want it in this window" etc....

My mind is racing in silly ways...

Yeah it's strange that nobody else has seen it. I called support this morning to report it and request help, and he said he thought I was the only one to see this. They've opened up an engineering case and also notified my service center. They'll probably try pushing the update again.

The only thing I can think of that might be unusual is that I went to check the car about 70 minutes after I started the update, thinking it would be finished. The car unlocked and handles came right out, but after opening the door the screens didn't come on. I figured the car was still updating and closed the door/walked away.

Came back 30 minutes later to the "update succeeded" message.

looks like a lot of us got the update this weekend - i got mine friday night, and was stoked to see the iphone notification pop up saying "software update available."

definitely noticed that Bluetooth album art is worse than before. i've actually seen a few album covers pop up correctly but only take up the center 1/9th of the available square space, like the first move in a big tic-tac-toe game.

but really enjoying the fact that my car is suddenly newer.