Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of these days someone is going to have a serious accident because of one of these poorly QAed releases. Tesla really needs to get its act together on this. Software QA is not as easy as it sometimes seems. But in this case it's all the more vital that it be done carefully. If I were Elon I would Fire my firmware QA manager and double the budget for his replacement . (Of course I don't know the details of their organization so this isn't a serious suggestion. It's just meant to indicate the serious ess of the problem)

^^ Agreed. Is there anyone here who has a direct line to Mr. Musk and who can pass on how Tesla is being perceived on this issue? I think he needs to know. Or someone should tweet him about this. No?

I speculate people are thinking that there is little battery pack heating while the car is in Range Mode. I think people are also speculating that with less pack heating that this may somehow be detrimental to battery life/longevity.

Cold, as long as it's above a certain point, isn't bad for the pack. It's attempting to charge when too cold is the issue, which is why the car limits regen regardless of range mode being enabled. While the battery can't produce as much energy when it's cold, it's not harmful either... heat is what bad for it,

As a matter of fact Elton once said something to the effect of the pack on cars in Alaska lasting forever...

Build 167 seems to be a huge improvement for me. Much better efficiency, and the TACC (traffic aware cruise control) feature seems to be much smoother / less jerky.

I don't use range mode, as I haven't gone on any long trips recently, and I think it's probably not good for long term wear on the battery to use range mode unnecessarily.

With what they've told us about torque sleep, and the efficiency gains to be had from it being more significant with range mode on, Tesla is basically encouraging us to use range mode as much as possible. There definitely should not be anything about range mode that is in any way detrimental to the battery.

That's good news, toto. How about you, Andyw2100: weren't you one of the D owners not seeing any benefit under .139/.140?

The question is still open as to why some cars saw significant efficiency improvements (mine is one of them) under .139/.140, and others did not.

That's good news, toto. How about you, Andyw2100: weren't you one of the D owners not seeing any benefit under .139/.140?

The question is still open as to why some cars saw significant efficiency improvements (mine is one of them) under .139/.140, and others did not.

The one round trip my wife took yesterday we saw absolutely no improvement.

She drove to work with range mode on, but then home with range mode off, because by then I had read here that the issues with .167 were limited to range mode being on, and we were much more interested in getting her home without issue than in testing efficiency.

I noticed that there was some ice build up in the wheel wells that I removed, but I really don't think that could have been what was causing our efficiency issues.

I'm taking the car this afternoon, and will see how it goes, but will also be driving with range mode off, because of the issues with .167 and range mode.

Below are the numbers and comparisons to EV Trip Planner for yesterday's trips.

EV Trip Planner

Estimates:

DateDistanceRMTotal EnergyAvg EnergyHwy SpeedCabin TempOutdoor TempWindElev ChangeConditions
DistanceRMTotal EnergyAvg EnergySpd Factor
2/23/15547221.339460-656821CW(754)Clear, little slush
2/23/1553.58223.944760-656821CW754Clear

The one round trip my wife took yesterday we saw absolutely no improvement.

She drove to work with range mode on, but then home with range mode off, because by then I had read here that the issues with .167 were limited to range mode being on, and we were much more interested in getting her home without issue than in testing efficiency.

I noticed that there was some ice build up in the wheel wells that I removed, but I really don't think that could have been what was causing our efficiency issues.

I'm taking the car this afternoon, and will see how it goes, but will also be driving with range mode off, because of the issues with .167 and range mode.

Below are the numbers and comparisons to EV Trip Planner for yesterday's trips.

EV Trip Planner

Estimates:

DateDistanceRMTotal EnergyAvg EnergyHwy SpeedCabin TempOutdoor TempWindElev ChangeConditions
DistanceRMTotal EnergyAvg EnergySpd Factor
2/23/15547221.339460-656821CW(754)Clear, little slush
2/23/1553.58223.944760-656821CW754Clear
I'm going to guess that without range mode this update will have no impact. I'm still of the opinion that issues are being caused due to torque sleep changes that are potentially too aggressive or that need further tweaking. To be fair to the QA people the precise circumstances to recreate this seem to be many and varied variables, I.e. The only common factor so far is range mode, presumably because the changes only operate in that mode.
Maybe that is why they have made most of the improvement only accessible through range mode - it can be turned off if stuff goes wrong.

I seriously hope they're not still pushing .167.

@mesalum: If you end up with .167, please let us know (pic preferably) and I'm going to personally call Tesla HQ and rip someone a new one because that would be very foolish of them.

I'm going to guess that without range mode this update will have no impact. I'm still of the opinion that issues are being caused due to torque sleep changes that are potentially too aggressive or that need further tweaking. To be fair to the QA people the precise circumstances to recreate this seem to be many and varied variables, I.e. The only common factor so far is range mode, presumably because the changes only operate in that mode.
Maybe that is why they have made most of the improvement only accessible through range mode - it can be turned off if stuff goes wrong.

That could be, but back some time ago Jerome Guillen did state that the benefits of torque sleep would be seen both with range mode on and off, but that the impact would be more significant with range mode on. It's possible that the most recent update tweaked settings for torque sleep for both range mode off and on, so I'm going to record the data for my trip, just to see what's what.

Why do you say that?
There isn't a concrete answer on what range mode does exactly, but there has been a lot of speculation that it allows the temperatures to float both higher and lower before kicking in active cooling. High temperatures absolutely degrade the battery, but might be a worthwhile trade-off in order to make a trip that would otherwise be impossible (say: the drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas) ... Cold temperatures are fine at a low drain rate, but doing 0-60 runs with a cold battery is not great either.

We do know that range mode changes more than just limiting fan speed, since it causes more noticeable changes in the 'torque sleep' behavior, and also seems to be a trigger for the loss of power issue under .167.

If there were no down side to Range Mode, it would be the default.