Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...The picture alone doesn't mean much without the current battery SoC :biggrin:

How about a little grade school math... Because the picture says 45% at destination, 21% at the return, and I stated 43% used outbound and 24% back, it is pretty easy to calculate that I had 88% battery SoC when I took the picture... :tongue: :biggrin:

I know I know... that is why I said "... the picture alone doesn't mean much ..."

Just wanted to mention that automatic precondition kicked in for me today. I updated shortly after it was available in N.A. My morning commute has been leaving within a 1 hour window. Today my car was nearly fully warmed up when I woke up to top up my charge. As it turns out, I am leaving late today, so I wonder how that will impact it for future days. I don't plug in at work, so I don't expect to see anything automatic happen for the return trip.

I played a little more with the energy use prediction in 6.1. The bad news is that it does not seem to use current temperature in its predictions. The good news is that it does seem to use actual use on the trip to extrapolate and predict final results for the current trip.

The following (blurry) picture if from last night driving from the Denver Airport to Boulder. The conditions were about 30˚F., light snow, wet roads, and I was driving at a median traffic speed, slightly over the speed limit. The upper grey line is the original prediction, and the lower green line is actual use and updated prediction. Because I was using more energy than predicted (probably due to temps, etc), the green line is below the grey line. What I really like is that the predicted green line continues to diverge from the grey line and is not parallel. This means that the green line is predicting the rest of the trip, based on actual usage plus elevation data, which is very nice.

Energy Graph.JPG

The fact that this prediction is based on actual usage plus elevation means that it will probably be useful for trips with lots of elevation changes, like a lot of the mountain driving I do in Colorado. The ups and downs around here can be longer then the 30 mile averaging window...

I'll note that the predicted energy stuff has been useless on my P85D. The car always comes in with less battery than it predicted. Hopefully the efficiency update will help this soon...

It does not seem to take climate control or outside temp into account either.

Ok, that's good to know Cottonwood and wk057. So this is likely "trip computer lite" that we are seeing in the current release. Elon did mention at some event in Europe that eventually it will go online and find weather stations along the route and factor in temperature and wind speed.

Temp I would think would be a fairly easy addition based on the current cabin set point and whether or not it will trigger battery conditioning. Wind will be much more complicated as it is so variable and I'm not surprised it isn't included yet.

Ok, that's good to know Cottonwood and wk057. So this is likely "trip computer lite" that we are seeing in the current release. Elon did mention at some event in Europe that eventually it will go online and find weather stations along the route and factor in temperature and wind speed.

Temp I would think would be a fairly easy addition based on the current cabin set point and whether or not it will trigger battery conditioning. Wind will be much more complicated as it is so variable and I'm not surprised it isn't included yet.

one way this could be improved on interim would be to have switch to see predicted from trip computer vs predicted from performance so far on this trip. Would not account for everything but would give another tool in the box

Just wanted to mention that automatic precondition kicked in for me today. I updated shortly after it was available in N.A. My morning commute has been leaving within a 1 hour window. Today my car was nearly fully warmed up when I woke up to top up my charge. As it turns out, I am leaving late today, so I wonder how that will impact it for future days. I don't plug in at work, so I don't expect to see anything automatic happen for the return trip.

Does it only work when plugged in? :eek:

That would make it pretty useless for me. I never plug in at work and that is when I need pre-heating the most. :crying:

Come on Tesla devs, give us proper scheduling instead, like VisibleTesla has.

one way this could be improved on interim would be to have switch to see predicted from trip computer vs predicted from performance so far on this trip. Would not account for everything but would give another tool in the box

If I understand you correctly, that's what the grey line is (the original estimate). The green line is the new estimate based on performance so far.

I don't' have 6.1 yet - but do have a question on preconditioning.

I have more than one office / work location I go to each week. Right now it seems like preconditioning will only work in a single work location. Is that correct?

That is how I understand it. I have put in an email to ownership requesting that we be given the choice to set these times up manually, perhaps through the calendar function on our phones or in the car. MAny people, like myself, have differing office hours and would prefer to program this function ourselves.

wait so the iphone app *doesn't* notify you that it's available? it's only on the car's screen?

It has in the past. It did not this time for me. I received pop-up in the car while driving. When I arrived home, I immediately began update. It could be that the event that triggers iPhone app notification never got a chance to occur, so I would not judge based upon my case. However, I have found the iPhone app notification, and in general the car's connectivity, to be inconsistent. Don't know if that's issues with car's connectivity, sleep mode, Tesla servers, or iPhone app. Don't care. My car is a car, and I mainly care that it drives! These other bells and whistles are nice, but not what I bought it for.