Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0 (beta version discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- custom car name
this is the lamest feature yet. i wonder who thunk this one up at Tesla. it's so lame, it sounds like it came from senior management and noone questioned it because I can't imagine any decent hands on software engineer's actually suggesting this one.

This is for the multi-Tesla owners -- so they can tell which car they are logging into on the App. While I won't use it, I can see its usefulness for those that have more than one Model S (and or future S and X owners)...

I might be tempted to leave my key fob at home on purpose now. :)

and when you do, you'll soon learn your lessen when you're iphone battery dies. then you'll be asking random strangers in the parking lot to download an app on their phone and start your car for you. haha. my iphone can be at 64% one minute, and the next minute it dies and shows 6% and the next minute the spinning wheel and powers down and won't power on again until recharged. I hate this phone. The battery is a POS (iPhone 5) and far worse than the previous iPhones I had (original & 3GS).

If the release notes are to be trusted, then it sounds like one would have to have the Tesla app running on one's phone to even connect with one's calendar. That right there sounds kludgy. If you have to physically reach for the phone, fire up the T app *in car* (which I never do) just to get the Calendar app in the car to work, why not just look at your Calendar in your phone?

Sure, there's the potential convenience of instantly navigating to any address mentioned on any upcoming appointment in your calendar, an admittedly interesting feature, but not worth all the trouble, imho.

It's a feature I use all the time, admittedly not in the Model S (because hey, I don't have one!). But even though there is nav in my Roadster, I'll open the appointment for the address and then just click the link to bring it up on google maps on my phone. Much quicker than reentering on another UI. It's a feature I'll use in the X. Repeatedly. Because I use that flow now.

I strongly suspect that when they release this OTA, the public release will be coordinated with the release of an update to the iOS app, so I keep checking on whether or not the Tesla app update is available in the App store.

Here is why this is relevant to the security issue folks are worried about (starting the car remotely).

If all the rumor sites are correct, iOS 8.0 is expected to be released at Apple's September 8th iPhone announcement. iOS 8.0 will allow third party developer access to TouchID (the iPhone 5s and later version's fingerprint reader). If the remote start feature of the new Tesla app is iOS 8.0 only, they could (and should) constrain the remote start feature to TouchID authentication only, totally separate from any passwords for the app or for the website. Personally, I'd be very comfortable with this, TouchID stores the fingerprint ID information in the chip on the phone.

Remember, Kristen Paget (Apple's Hacker Princess) was stolen away from Apple to run Tesla's security. She knows both operating systems and I really don't think she's going to leave a gaping hole in Tesla security that will allow for the scenarios discussed here.

So... if I had to bet, the updated Tesla app will be released shortly after iOS 8.0, and the remote start feature will require a TouchID enabled phone (5s or greater) or iPad (rumored to be released later this year)

This is some great stuff! Celebrate!

Yep, I agree there's some great stuff.

1. Traffic-based personalized commute advice is interesting and I like how it's implemented in a seamless way.

2. Calendar - "For an event that will take place within the next hour and has a uniquely specified location, the auto-commute feature will trigger and inform you if there is a better route due to traffic." I've to to see this in action, but it sounds promising.

3. Remote auto-start - this is a great feature. Some people are complaining about security risks, but I'd imagine the Tesla app might require a PIN before remote starting and also a PIN/password to turn of remote access from the car. Tesla takes security very seriously (ie., you don't speak at Defcon unless you're serious about security, Tesla Invites Hackers for a Spin - Digits - WSJ).

What about the much hyped trip planner that was used by the cross country Tesla team?

This is the one major feature I think Tesla should have added a LONG time ago. People should have access from the center screen to know exactly how many rated miles are required between superchargers in various conditions without having to go to a website like evtripplanner.com . (more thoughts on this, Articles/megaposts by DaveT - Page 61)

Wow! We hate the feature list even tho we do not know this is complete list. We hate start car from app even tho we do not know how it is implemented. We hate car name even though some of our brethren need it in order for mobile app to be useful. Wow! Where's the love?

I don't think the final release will have a feature set different from this, if this indeed is the current beta test release.

I too prefer to get what I can get now, and the rest later, rather than wait for everything in one shot later. Having said that, I do agree that I would not see this feature set as being revolutionary, or the update as a huge one. It is basically one big feature added with a few minor ones, like other updates before. Of course, I would be glad to be proven wrong, if there is stuff that is hiding yet to come out.

I was assuming that valet mode and music app enhancements were certainly going to be included. Especially the music enhancements which are almost completely independent of the rest of the car, and can be developed and tested completely independently. Moreover, I do not even see a lot of effort required to add several basic features to the music app.

- custom car name
this is the lamest feature yet. i wonder who thunk this one up at Tesla. it's so lame, it sounds like it came from senior management and noone questioned it because I can't imagine any decent hands on software engineer's actually suggesting this one.

I dunno. First off, it's such an easy bit of code, who cares. But I'm guessing your computer, your hard drives, etc. all have names. Why are you making such a big deal out of this? It's like you're looking for things to rant about. Save it for the things that matter. This one sure doesn't. If you don't want to use it, don't.

EDIT: SECURITY LIABILITY

I just saw how the release notes said you will be able to start the car without the key fob using the mobile app. Given that the mobile app itself is very insecure as is their current authentication methods (discussed very much in depth in other threads), basically this opens up the car to be VERY EASILY STOLEN. Once an attacker has you username and password which again is very easy to compromise, (even a simple spam phishing email could dup anyone into logging into tesla online (a fake dup site) which would compromise your credentials), then they can use the app to #1) locate your car using the GPS feature, #2 unlock the car via the unlock feature, and now #3 start your car and drive off. previously the only thing you would really have to worry about it someone finding and unlockign and stealing anything you have inside, but now Tesla has given the ability for someone to just drive off with your car. ***IMO THIS IS A BIG NO-NO*** and I think this is a very very bad feature. Unfortunately, there is NO WAY for you to even stop this. Even if you refuse to update your phone software, an attacker would just download the Tesla app and have the latest software and be able to start your car. I **REALLY** hope this forced feature includes a password protected option (kinda like the VALET mode if that ever comes to light) to disable the remote starting of the car from an app. I do not want anyone stealing my car. I wonder how many of you use the same login/password for TMC and your Tesla account. then, if someone were to compromise this site itself, it would give them thousands of login/pass crediatials and they can brute force try each one and have a list of all the successful ones and then they can start going around stealing all the cars. You start to get my point here? This feature is a big no-no and one that opens it up to the cars being VERY EASILY located, unlocked, and stolen. BAD TESLA, BAD.

And yeah, your point is that IF you're right about implementation, then there is something to be concerned about. But you don't KNOW that. You're just theorizing that the Tesla engineering team is security-stupid and then concluding that Tesla needs to be lectured about an implementation you don't actually know about.

If they did it right, Tesla knows who the release notes are from. It's not hard to hide something unique in the notes (changes in wording, missing/extra features, different images, etc) to identify a tester in small/highly secret beta tests.

How many beta testers at there likely to be on HI? I assume just a few, at most, but maybe I'm way-underestimating the amount of beta testers out there. My assumption would be there's plenty in and around the Tesla hotspots (Cali, Norway etc), and then a few select testers in the more diverse locations, such as HI, where things are sufficiently different that it needs to be included to make sure there's no local weirdness.

All I know is that I'm not a beta tester, but I'd be thoroughly trustworthy if I was. Ahem, Tesla. VIN4287 :)

Wow! We hate the feature list even tho we do not know this is complete list. We hate start car from app even tho we do not know how it is implemented. We hate car name even though some of our brethren need it in order for mobile app to be useful. Wow! Where's the love?

I am pleased to see all of these features. I do not hate any of them. :smile: I love Tesla. :smile:

You should know by now; the Internet is the most difficult crowd to please.

EDIT: SECURITY LIABILITY
I wonder how many of you use the same login/password for TMC and your Tesla account. then, if someone were to compromise this site itself, it would give them thousands of login/pass crediatials and they can brute force try each one and have a list of all the successful ones and then they can start going around stealing all the cars. You start to get my point here? This feature is a big no-no and one that opens it up to the cars being VERY EASILY located, unlocked, and stolen. BAD TESLA, BAD.

You are overreacting to something that you only have very limited information on.