Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY MS key fob programming & software re-installing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I recently bought a 2016 Model S and it came with only one key fob. In the interest of having a backup (and because my wife and I both sometimes drive the car), I want to get a new one.

I know I can have mobile service out for about $200 with a brand new one including programming, and I will do that if I can't come up with an alternative. I know it won't be easy.

Another fix I may need on the car before long is replacing the charge port since a) the ring light is out (I think that's separate from the port and probably part of the door/cover) and b) (more importantly) the handle lock tab is slow to retract, for some reason only when the handle is not inserted. I can hear a soft clicking sound as it tries about 3 times over 5s and then finally retracts, reliably so far, thankfully. Oddly, when the handle is in and I go to unlock it it seems to immediately release as I would expect.

So since the port will probably need replacement before long, I was looking at eBay for some lightly used or "new" versions of them, and there are some available for quite a bit less than the $300 or so Tesla wants for the part and the additional $150-200 they want to install it. I'm aware from some earlier research that you can't just swap an alternate part in but need to re-install the car software/firmware after the change so that the car will recognize the new part.

Of course one work around to this is to wait until you have an update to install anyway and wing it, or possibly go by your closest service center (about a 2h round trip for me) and once on their WiFi, get into service mode and *maybe* you can force the car to do the re-install there. Both of those prospects seem a little risky to me, so because I have this possible need and the key fob programming I may want to do, I thought I'd ask this:

Is anyone aware of any DIY kind of projects that have developed software that would allow an owner (with the right CAN or OBD, whatever hardware interface) to tap into the car and do key fob programming and also trigger the software re-install from home, without need for any of the other tricks?

I know it's possible because I've seen a couple of commercial software providers that offer packages they say will do this for you, but since they're intended for professional repair shops they're priced accordingly at about $3000 or so, and I'm not that eager to get into this.

So for me this is *partly* about saving a little money, but mostly about wanting to know a bit more about my car (I also have a 2013 MS that I've owned for longer) and figure I could save even more money over the years I hope to own these cars. And possibly fix some problems faster than waiting for service.

So, have I missed any such projects on GitHub or elsewhere that might help with this? I'm assuming I have not and unless I want to try tackling this on my own (I don't), I'm out of luck for now.

Thanks.

You can redeploy firmware from the service menu now. There are people replacing their own charge ports and charge logic boards I have read about here.

No idea in the key. I paid the $200 stupid tax on sending mine through the washer (twice).
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't yet heard that. I assume it's the Software Reinstall option. I wonder which of the 4 options is appropriate for replacing the charge port? Full, CAN ECU, DAS, IC.

Upvote 0