Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to physically disable Front Radar in my 2022 Model S for Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess Tesla is physically disconnecting them and programming the car to say it doesn’t have radar at all to prevent from having to spend money to replace faulty radar modules that is not being used anyways.
Best guess I've heard. What's interesting is that someone thinks "touching" all cars with radar is more cost effective than telling software to ignore all radar alerts.

Best guess I've heard. What's interesting is that someone thinks "touching" all cars with radar is more cost effective than telling software to ignore all radar alerts.
Not sure how the radar is integrated into the vehicle, but if it is on a shared CAN bus, it's possible that there are radar failure modes that disrupt CAN communication causing problems elsewhere. Or the additional data on the bus causes some lag in communication between modules.

Reactions: E90alex
If driving on 2022.20.8 and prior, it still utilizes radar. Myself and few others are still holding out without problems.
I was staying on that version to plan to upgrade as I didn't want to lose my radar. When they swapped out the wheel they updated it to a version that supports the wheel and adjusts all the menus to replace the yoke. If I had known they were going to upgrade to a newer version, I would have stopped them and just left all the icons as yokes.

It’s probably not that simple for whatever reason.

In any case, it’s not a recall so they don’t have to “touch” every single car with a radar. Just the ones that come through service.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
It’s probably not that simple for whatever reason.

In any case, it’s not a recall so they don’t have to “touch” every single car with a radar. Just the ones that come through service.
It bothers me because they scheduled service to replace the front radar due to water intrusion alert service bulletin just 4 weeks ago. Subsequently, there is another service bulletin just last week to disable radar? So i have to go through this a second time. I was suspicious the first time they wanted to replace radar and asked why because it's well known that tesla vision is replacing radar and asked if radar was even used. They were characteristically "Tesla opaque" and avoided answering my question directly. My main concern being that the front fascia has to be removed every time and it's not a harmless service activity. In addition, I have full PPF on the car which is an additional risk if something happens and they damage the PPF during the work. Currently, the only response to why radar needs to be physically disabled is that range may be depleted 3-4 miles. and they want to do a service bulletin to take apart the front fascia to disable radar to save a couple of miles on the range?? That's a BS answer and doesn't make any sense..

I was staying on that version to plan to upgrade as I didn't want to lose my radar. When they swapped out the wheel they updated it to a version that supports the wheel and adjusts all the menus to replace the yoke. If I had known they were going to upgrade to a newer version, I would have stopped them and just left all the icons as yokes.
Yes, luckily I haven't needed service... as I've read, if you need service they'll automatically update the software to the latest version without warning.

I was reading through their update policy a while ago. If you don't update, they apparently can refuse warranty work. There may be fixes for things that can be issues if not remedied. I don't remember the exact wording but basically it seemed like they could force you to update as well.

On page 10 of the warranty guide, they talk about being able to void your warranty if you don't update.

my worst fear came true today. I brought the car in to get radar disabled as per tesla service bulletin recommendation. I'm running 2022.45.16(FSD Beta 11.3.6). So they removed the front fascia, headlights and in doing so created a tear in the PPF over the headlights. The car is full PPF with ceramic at the top tesla PPF installer in the bay area. Of course, they won't admit so I have to fight this battle with them. It's not about the money to me but rather whether I can trust tesla with my car in the future.I'm probably looking at around 1K-1.5K to remove and re-install that side panel.

Attachments

• IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 205
my worst fear came true today. I brought the car in to get radar disabled as per tesla service bulletin recommendation. I'm running 2022.45.16(FSD Beta 11.3.6). So they removed the front fascia, headlights and in doing so created a tear in the PPF over the headlights. The car is full PPF with ceramic at the top tesla PPF installer in the bay area. Of course, they won't admit so I have to fight this battle with them. It's not about the money to me but rather whether I can trust tesla with my car in the future.I'm probably looking at around 1K-1.5K to remove and re-install that side panel.
This is why it’s very important to walk around your car with service tech before handing it over. Also, taking a video is vital for proof. My BMW service advisor always does a walk around and inside check before accepting delivery so the owner doesn’t try and make a claim of damage.

Reactions: black knight 3
Tesla says that radar images often contridict vision images. It takes some time for the software to sort out which is the best to follow. Tesla says that vision is faster, more accurate, and more pure. Radar confuses the issues.
Kind of like when one passenger yells to "Watch OUT!" while another yells to "STOP". Takes a moment of confusion to decide what action you should take.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Don’t do it. I got my cameras replaced and it disables my radar. I now can’t cruise over 85(which I rarely do, but if I go faster to pass a vehicle it gets mad and disables my autopilot for the rest of my drive, like I’m a 12 year old in time out) I also can no longer select 1 as a follow distance. It stops at 2 the level clicks to where 1 is supposed to be but still says 2, feels broken, now I get cut off all the time, my car used to be a pleasure to drive in high traffic, now I hate it.

I’ve contacted Tesla service many times asking for my old cameras back and they won’t do it, paid $3000 for upgraded computers and $3000 for autopilot, and it feels useless to me now. If anyone knows how to disable tesla vision and get my radars back I would be eternally grateful.

Don’t do it. I got my cameras replaced and it disables my radar. I now can’t cruise over 85(which I rarely do, but if I go faster to pass a vehicle it gets mad and disables my autopilot for the rest of my drive, like I’m a 12 year old in time out) I also can no longer select 1 as a follow distance. It stops at 2 the level clicks to where 1 is supposed to be but still says 2, feels broken, now I get cut off all the time, my car used to be a pleasure to drive in high traffic, now I hate it.

I’ve contacted Tesla service many times asking for my old cameras back and they won’t do it, paid $3000 for upgraded computers and $3000 for autopilot, and it feels useless to me now. If anyone knows how to disable tesla vision and get my radars back I would be eternally grateful.
lol, absolutely not a priority for me to have to do over 85 and have 1 as follow distance for autopilot! doesn't concern me at all.

I'm more concerned about aligning with Tesla's longer term goal of tesla vision and dialing FSD in hopes of working better since I'm enrolled in the FSD beta program. So far, in my 1 week with radar disabled, It's managed to ignore a median when backing up with Self Park causing my New model S to get PPF damage to my rear bumper. I had probably done that exact step dozens of times before while on sensors and radar and never once experienced anything like that. That really upset me.

my opinion is if you don't believe tesla's strategy is the right one then why do you still own a tesla? It's ridiculous to think tesla will treat you as a special case and disable vision and enable radar. They are entitled to advance their strategy in ways they feel best for the long term. If you feel it's useless now then sell and buy something that you feel isn't useless.

Reactions: AW9nineteen