Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MODEL S SOFTWARE RELEASE NOTES 5.9
© COPYRIGHT 2014 TESLA MOTORS INC With this release, Model S owners now will have an improved driving experience with Hill Start Assist and expanded Smart Air Suspension options. In addition, they will have the ability to save Work, Home, and Favorite locations. Finally, there are new features for cold weather driving as well as various other enhancements.
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]With this release, Model S owners now will have an improved driving experience with Hill Start Assist and expanded Smart Air Suspension options. In addition, they will have the ability to save Work, Home, and Favorite locations. Finally, there are new features for cold weather driving as well as various other enhancements. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Hill Start Assist
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Hill Start Assist makes it easier to start driving on an incline. When Model S is on a hill, Hill Start Assist will automatically hold the car for one second when the brake pedal is released, preventing the car from rolling while the driver switches from the brake pedal to the accelerator. This function will engage when the car is in Drive and facing uphill, or in Reverse and facing downhill.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Smart Air Suspension
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]We’ve added more ways for you to adjust the Smart Air Suspension to meet your driving needs:
 The speed range for HIGH and VERY
HIGH ride heights has been
increased so you can select these
options even at higher speeds.
 You can now drive at a LOW ride
height at any speed. To set the
speed at which the Smart Air
Suspension automatically transitions
to LOW ride height, go to Controls >
Settings > Vehicle. This setting is
saved to the Driver Profile.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Note:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]You can override the ride height temporarily via the Air Suspension control in Controls > Driving. Your Air Suspension setting will be restored the next time you drive. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]TESLA MOTORS - SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTIFICATION 2 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Navigation
Home/Work Locations & Favorites
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]You now can enter your Home and Work addresses for easy navigation. Additionally, Model S may prompt you to save the car’s current location as a Home/Work location if it has a good guess based on car usage patterns.
Locations are found under the "Recents" and "Favorites" tabs within "Places." Once saved, you can easily navigate to either location just by tapping the appropriate entry within "Places." You can also use voice commands (e.g., "navigate home" or "navigate to work").
You may also store frequently used destinations to a "Favorites" list under "Places." To mark a destination as a Favorite, select its "flag" (while navigating there) or its "pin" (from search results or "Recents"), and then tap the heart icon.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Note
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]: The Home/Work Locations & Favorites feature is only available if your Model S is equipped with the Navigation option. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Superchargers & Visited Chargers
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Superchargers (red pins) and Visited Chargers (gray pins) are now shown on the map by default and the dropdown for Superchargers and Visited Chargers is no longer available on the upper right of the Maps window. You can still access Superchargers and Visited Chargers locations via "Places."
You can now also delete items from the Visited Chargers list. Just tap on the "Edit" button in the upper right corner of the list and tap on the x to delete.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Battery Meter & Cold Weather
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]In cold weather, some of the stored energy in your Model S’s battery may not be available on your drive because the battery is too cold. When this happens, a portion of the battery meter will appear blue and the range value will have a snowflake image next to it. If your car is plugged in, you can heat your battery using wall power by turning on the Climate Control via the mobile app.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]TESLA MOTORS - SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTIFICATION 3 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Improved Range Calculations
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]We’ve continued to improve the range calculation with this release so that it’s more accurate. As a result, the range displayed when charging is complete will generally be higher than before. This will be more pronounced if the battery is charged to a lower charge limit.
40 kWh customers, in particular, may notice these changes since prior to this change they may have observed incorrectly low range estimates under certain charging conditions.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Additional Improvements
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]The Status bar (including the clock) at the bottom of the instrument panel now uses a larger font. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri] The Web browser includes numerous performance and quality improvements.
 When driving "heading up" with the Maps app in half-screen mode, the car marker is positioned toward the bottom of the map window.
 Bluetooth will now continuously attempt to autoconnect to known devices while the car is in use; if you turn your phone’s Bluetooth on long after entering the car, it should still autoconnect.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Same changelog agreed. Still 5.9 too....

y4u2e4ud.jpg

I just got a within-5.9 update (1.51.94 to .109) yesterday. When I got back to the car it told me the update failed and I'd be reminded again soon... but the car appears to be working fine, and when I tap the T logo it says 1.51.109. Anyone else seen something like that?

I'm taking my car in for a tire rotation next week anyway; I'll mention it to the service folks then.

I just got a within-5.9 update (1.51.94 to .109) yesterday. When I got back to the car it told me the update failed and I'd be reminded again soon... but the car appears to be working fine, and when I tap the T logo it says 1.51.109. Anyone else seen something like that?

Yes, had it before. Inevitably some minor bug shows up when that happens. Your service center will re-flash the software or move you up to 5.11

Just got 5.9 (1.51.109) last night. Curious that 5.11 is out but they're still pushing 5.9 versions.

Here's something different. On every previous update I've been losing my auto-tilt mirrors. Had to go through a painful reset sequence.

This time when I got in the car, my preset menu was showing with the "Restore" button enabled. So I hit restore. Perhaps as a result, this time the auto-tilt mirrors still worked after the update. Interesting!

I'm thinking that if I get the auto-tilt failing on a future release, I should try switching profiles back-and-forth and see if they come back.

Here's something different. On every previous update I've been losing my auto-tilt mirrors. Had to go through a painful reset sequence.

I just recently started to use the Auto-Tilt feature. I got 1.51.109 a week or so ago and had no problem with the settings. No "restore" button or anything... the mirrors just continued to auto-tilt as before. I'd forgotten about the reports of mirror memory loss upon upgrade. I guess I picked a good time to start using the feature!

Just got 5.9 (1.51.109) last night. Curious that 5.11 is out but they're still pushing 5.9 versions.

This time when I got in the car, my preset menu was showing with the "Restore" button enabled. So I hit restore. Perhaps as a result, this time the auto-tilt mirrors still worked after the update. Interesting!

I'm thinking that if I get the auto-tilt failing on a future release, I should try switching profiles back-and-forth and see if they come back.

This seems random. Out of the 6 or so updates I've done since owning the car, mirror tilt settings were "forgotten" twice. Some have reported no problem ever, others have reported it happens every time. Then there's same with bluetooth pairings. Having spent time in software, I know that nothing is really random, there's some set of circumstances that makes this happen, but it's probably totally arcane.

So, probably the best thing is a "software update checklist". Yeah, I'll do that right now! Maybe the mods will want to make this a sticky? I'll come back and edit this post with link.
HERE

Last edited:
Maybe it depends on your hardware config. I've never had a Bluetooth problem, ever. But losing auto-tilt was 100% until the last update.

Trying not to get all software geeky here, but I doubt it is solely hardware config, given that some of us just lose tilt occasionally. Probably some combination of hardware config, sequence of software driver changes in the update procedure, and state software was in when update applied. For example, bluetooth issue MIGHT (this is just guess) only happen if paired device is in range during update. Anyway, seems as if there is a finite group of anomalies we experience, but we don't all experience them every time... or ever.