Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they improved the charging / balancing / or state of charge estimation for the A type 85kWh packs then?

Hmmm, yes sure would be interesting if there were a pattern that those seeing rated range increase with 5.12 were all A packs!?! That's either good new for us A pack owners who were concerned about pattern of range loss... or fodder for another conspiracy theory...

I have an A-pack and 5.12 and around 248-mile rated range too (since the v4.5 update)... I didn't see any rated range difference until a few weeks ago when it was plugged in at a service center. It was significantly higher (266 miles), but only for an hour. Then it instantly dropped down to what it was before. Completely unexplained. Tesla has not provided me with an answer. It has not done it since.

image.png

I have an A-pack and 5.12 and around 248-mile rated range too (since the v4.5 update)... I didn't see any rated range difference until a few weeks ago when it was plugged in at a service center. It was significantly higher (266 miles), but only for an hour. Then it instantly dropped down to what it was before. Completely unexplained. Tesla has not provided me with an answer. It has not done it since.

View attachment 55071

Now that's interesting. Total guess on my part? They had your car in service/diagnostic mode which displays total capacity of the battery vs normal mode that hides capacity from us. They never imagined someone would be polling the API the entire time and would see it.

Last edited:
Update re App Connectivity

Yesterday I had my car at the service center for the AC noise buffer repair (it's great!). They told me they pushed 5.12 to my car again (same build .26 I already had). So far, I've not experienced the IOS app connection problems I previously was experiencing. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Now that's an interesting. Total guess on my part? They had your car in service/diagnostic mode which displays total capacity of the battery vs normal mode that hides capacity from us. They never imagined someone would be polling the API the entire time and would see it.

Interesting theory, but not likely. They were done working on the car and plugged it in overnight with a brand new UMC so that it can be picked-up/valeted the next morning.

Could be my imagination (very likely) but I may have observed a less intrusive use of the brake booster pump. It was always starting when pressing the brake pedal (like starting the car) or at every stop (when I use the brake pedal). Maybe they tweaked a bit the algorithm to start it of course when pressure is too low but trying to keep starting it when speed is greater than x (where x is greater then 4-5 mph) since your hear it far less.

With a car so quiet its always "strange" to have this noise starting at a stop sign, because there is no other noise to hide it.

5.12 (1.64.22) saga continues, earlier today my wife unplugs the car & is about to get in & notices the AC is blasting on high & the touchsreen is black, all of a sudden the garage door starts to close, she taps the brake pedal & the car is not responding, fortunately I had informed her of the firmware's bugs so she didn't freak out & calmly gat me, I rebooted the car & everything was back to normal. I called HQ to report the incedent & they forward the call to my SC, I am leaving for Vegas in the morning & frankly don't want these problems in the middle of the desert, I thought if .26 was installed hopefully there would be a few fixes, SC informed me .26 is just as buggy as .22 & everything is fixed in the soon to be released v6. (I got a good laugh out of that).

Oh yea, loaner not available so Vegas trip with buggy firmware...I hope the tables will kind.

5.12 (1.64.22) saga continues, earlier today my wife unplugs the car & is about to get in & notices the AC is blasting on high & the touchsreen is black, all of a sudden the garage door starts to close, she taps the brake pedal & the car is not responding, fortunately I had informed her of the firmware's bugs so she didn't freak out & calmly gat me, I rebooted the car & everything was back to normal. I called HQ to report the incedent & they forward the call to my SC, I am leaving for Vegas in the morning & frankly don't want these problems in the middle of the desert, I thought if .26 was installed hopefully there would be a few fixes, SC informed me .26 is just as buggy as .22 & everything is fixed in the soon to be released v6. (I got a good laugh out of that).

Oh yea, loaner not available so Vegas trip with buggy firmware...I hope the tables will kind.

I'm on the last leg of Minneapolis to Nashville, TN and back with .26 installed..... you'll make it. Just be aware of the quirks (as I see you are) :) Enjoy your trip!!

-m

SC informed me .26 is just as buggy as .22 & everything is fixed in the soon to be released v6. (I got a good laugh out of that).

Actually, that wouldn't be surprising at all. If Tesla runs software like any other company, all the smart kids are working on the new thing, while all the new hires and interns and not-as-bright kids get assigned the less glamorous but simpler task of patching up the old thing. The problem is, the sustaining engineers are less skilled, plus they don't fully understand the code because they didn't write it, so the sustaining branch quickly becomes riddled with newly introduced bugs. I always try to avoid code that is in sustaining mode for exactly this reason.

Tesla 5.x firmware is clearly in this state now. Personally, I will decline all updates until 6.0.

I was just updated to 5.12 today (.26) and now my pano roof will not go pass vent mode. If I move the slider to any position other than close, it will vent the pano and bounce the slider to vent. I tried from the API, VisibleTesla and the car -- same effect. I was in for replacement of the master charger because of charging problem, not sure if this is related to that or to 5.12. Worked perfectly the last time I opened the roof about 2-3 days ago. Anyone else have or had these issues?

Took it in this morning and it was not firmware related...just coincidence. Turns out it the lift arms are rubbing against the aluminum housing and wearing it down, which doesn't allow the pano to lift up fast enough before it starts moving back so its getting caught on the lip. Have to drop it off for 2 days so they can take the whole roof apart. Great service though, I love that they wash the car with each visit! They even offered me a detail because of the number of issues I have had, so I will get a like new car back after this next service visit.