Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2023.20.7 received today... Software hack??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a second time around Tesla owner. First a model S in 2019, now an M3P 2023 that I have owned for 6 days, 105 miles and counting.

Having enjoyed used FSD beta in its nascent days, I went ahead and purchased it with the FSD package. I was disappointed, however, because my M3P came with FSDb-acking 2023.20 firmware. I thought I might be without FSDb for months! Then I saw that the newest 2023.20 update (2023.20.6) rolled out with FSD a few days ago, and i've been forcing my car to search for software update several times a day (using the forget Wifi network trick) this week to no avail.

Sooooo I did some Reddit/Tesla forum digging, and there were a few threads suggesting that accessing the wifi at a Tesla SC may short-circuit your car to receive the next available update. Most replies were usually "LOL nah bruh that's bc wifi sux at your house" or "it was dumb luck/coincidence" if that happened.

I decided why the hell not b/c my local Tesla SC isn't too far from where I live, and I rolled up there around just before close around 6:30pm today and hung out on the wifi for 20 minutes parked in a visitor spot. I didn't see much happen on my dashboard, and so i relegated that me and my brand new VIN probably on the 2023.20 firmware would be waiting a few weeks to months before FSDb came along.

BUT as soon as i parked my car and it re-engaged my home wifi, i got the glorious "software update available" phone notification! I thought it was an error because only 1 car in the TeslaFi fleet had 2023.20.7 firmware..... still, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth as they say. I was momentarily let down again because the preview of the release notes while it was installing just gave a cryptic "minor bugs and fixes" line. To my surprise, I started up my M3P and there was FSBb 11.3 6 waiting for me! See attached for 2023.20.7 notes.

I believe my VIN should be at the very back end of any queues that for Tesla software updates. My car is a week old, and i have only 12 autopilot miles on it. I do have my software update selection toggled to "Advanced". Somehow even though my car was not selected for the still very small inital wave of 2023.20.6 updates, I was granted a leap-frog to 2023.20.7? At install only a single digit number of Teslas were running this firmware.

tl;dr. Moral of the story --- if you find yourself impatiently waiting for a firmware update, try letting your car access a Tesla service center wifi network for a nominal amount of time. I did it today, and anecdotally i believe it got my car got into a very early wave of firmware 2023.20.7 and (w FSD beta.

..... or, you can stop doing the MOST, and just wait a few days to weeks, since FSD beta is now part of all the Tesla software offshoots and appears to be being pushed as part of most updates 🫠

Attachments

• 20230629_003231.jpg
    20230629_003231.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 611
.....tl;dr. Moral of the story --- if you find yourself impatiently waiting for a firmware update, try letting your car access a Tesla service center wifi network for a nominal amount of time. I did it today, and anecdotally i believe it got my car got into a very early wave of firmware 2023.20.7 and (w FSD beta.......
Coincidence, even the Service Center manager can't select or force a different software download for your car than the "mothership" says you get. Also WiFi is irrelevant in receiving an update ping. All update notifications are first sent by cell and tell the car to connect to WiFi to start the download.

Most people have a WiFi in their garage and never noticed this but as a 4 year (original 10.2 FSD Beta) user that has never had WiFi (live in a high-rise and park in a parking deck) I experience all the in and outs of updates without a nightly WiFi connection.

I’d like the choice to have either version. Looks like the beta version can get pretty “busy” which may not be beneficial if you don’t have FSD
What do you mean by either version? If you don't have FSD Beta then you CAN'T have a choice since you can't enable it. If you do have FSD Beta you CAN turn it off so in that case you do have a choice.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
What do you mean by either version? If you don't have FSD Beta then you CAN'T have a choice since you can't enable it. If you do have FSD Beta you CAN turn it off so in that case you do have a choice.
I don’t have FSD, but I CAN turn on FSD visualizations to see the vehicles (in my direction of travel), traffic lights, road markings, etc., mostly in monochrome (except orange cones, stop signs and traffic signals). Those with FSDb get much more colorful visualizations with vehicles over the yellow line traveling in the opposite direction, as well as vehicles traveling perpendicular to you.

What I meant was that I’d like to be able to switch between the non-FSDb simple visualisation and the “busy” FSDb visualization. Those with FSDb may have that option, but folks like me with only Autopilot only see the “simple” FSD visualizations when we toggle on visualizations.

I'm a second time around Tesla owner. First a model S in 2019, now an M3P 2023 that I have owned for 6 days, 105 miles and counting.

Having enjoyed used FSD beta in its nascent days, I went ahead and purchased it with the FSD package. I was disappointed, however, because my M3P came with FSDb-acking 2023.20 firmware. I thought I might be without FSDb for months! Then I saw that the newest 2023.20 update (2023.20.6) rolled out with FSD a few days ago, and i've been forcing my car to search for software update several times a day (using the forget Wifi network trick) this week to no avail.

Sooooo I did some Reddit/Tesla forum digging, and there were a few threads suggesting that accessing the wifi at a Tesla SC may short-circuit your car to receive the next available update. Most replies were usually "LOL nah bruh that's bc wifi sux at your house" or "it was dumb luck/coincidence" if that happened.

I decided why the hell not b/c my local Tesla SC isn't too far from where I live, and I rolled up there around just before close around 6:30pm today and hung out on the wifi for 20 minutes parked in a visitor spot. I didn't see much happen on my dashboard, and so i relegated that me and my brand new VIN probably on the 2023.20 firmware would be waiting a few weeks to months before FSDb came along.

BUT as soon as i parked my car and it re-engaged my home wifi, i got the glorious "software update available" phone notification! I thought it was an error because only 1 car in the TeslaFi fleet had 2023.20.7 firmware..... still, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth as they say. I was momentarily let down again because the preview of the release notes while it was installing just gave a cryptic "minor bugs and fixes" line. To my surprise, I started up my M3P and there was FSBb 11.3 6 waiting for me! See attached for 2023.20.7 notes.

I believe my VIN should be at the very back end of any queues that for Tesla software updates. My car is a week old, and i have only 12 autopilot miles on it. I do have my software update selection toggled to "Advanced". Somehow even though my car was not selected for the still very small inital wave of 2023.20.6 updates, I was granted a leap-frog to 2023.20.7? At install only a single digit number of Teslas were running this firmware.

tl;dr. Moral of the story --- if you find yourself impatiently waiting for a firmware update, try letting your car access a Tesla service center wifi network for a nominal amount of time. I did it today, and anecdotally i believe it got my car got into a very early wave of firmware 2023.20.7 and (w FSD beta.

..... or, you can stop doing the MOST, and just wait a few days to weeks, since FSD beta is now part of all the Tesla software offshoots and appears to be being pushed as part of most updates 🫠
I'm a believer; I've done this previously as well and I think it works. Haters will hate. Thumbs up

Reactions: Abraham

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Btw is it the same Wi-Fi and password as when you wait in the SC during appointments? If not, how do you get the right Wi-Fi and password?

And by parked and reengaged home Wi-Fi, you mean when you came back home and parked, right? So nothing (visibly) happened at the SC?

My car is currently downloading 2023.20.7 and I don't have FSD either. Is this going to be a normal thing going forward where all cars will download a common version but only FSD subscribed accounts will get those specific features?
I think that’s the new norm. I also cannot tell what’s different with 2023.20.7 or .6 for that matter (from 2023.20.4.1). If bug fixes the release notes don’t say, and neither does teslafi.

My car is currently downloading 2023.20.7 and I don't have FSD either. Is this going to be a normal thing going forward where all cars will download a common version but only FSD subscribed accounts will get those specific features?
There are already features embedded in your car's software that do not appear unless you have EAP or FSD. Tesla appears to just be adding a version of FSDb to that mix. The benefit is that people you buy FSD will instantly have access to FSDb.