Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cloth seats have heaters.

...unless, like mine (pre-end-of-year-price-increase), they don't. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

While that is what the user sees, the under-the-hood (sorry) details of power management and sleep are very complicated and they likely had many bugs to solve. There are lots of independent systems which interact and I bet they had trouble putting them to sleep and bringing them back up so that everything was happy and consistent.

As for the 45-second wakeup, well free lunches and all that.

I get all that, but I wish it were an option to select in Settings. I need this kind of mode rarely. The car's near-instant responsiveness in all situations, including not waiting to start driving (and the not-quick-but-hardly-45-second remote app access), is very convenient and a strength of the car. (It doesn't hurt that it demos well, too.) Ah well, maybe a future version will make this optional.

I wonder how long it waits to "sleep"....

...unless, like mine (pre-end-of-year-price-increase), they don't. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I get all that, but I wish it were an option to select in Settings. I need this kind of mode rarely. The car's near-instant responsiveness in all situations, including not waiting to start driving (and the not-quick-but-hardly-45-second remote app access), is very convenient and a strength of the car. (It doesn't hurt that it demos well, too.) Ah well, maybe a future version will make this optional.

I wonder how long it waits to "sleep"....

As long as the car boots up quickly when I want to drive I can plan for the 45 second connect to the car via the app.

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know what screen lies behind that button?

I'm a sig and this is what I get

IMG_1146.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it was just my eyes, but I couldn't read the small print under the cleaning mode button that I assume would tell you how to get OUT of cleaning mode.

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

While I applaud Tesla's effort to reduce idle power consumption, I'm kind of scratching my head over this one. Is this implementation not EXACTLY how "Power Down Displays" worked in the early 4.0 releases? Can someone explain how this implementation is better? The 45 second mobile app connection time is slightly concerning, as this is how my Leaf app works and it is very annoying.

It's quite different. It's a partial implementation of sleep mode. The 17" screen comes on instantly. The instrument cluster, if it powered down, takes < 10 seconds to power up (which you have to wait before before you can get the car into drive). Not sure how long it is before it goes to sleep. I haven't had the mobile app take long to connect even if the is in this new sleep state.

As long as the car boots up quickly when I want to drive I can plan for the 45 second connect to the car via the app.

3 seconds from opening the door to the time the 17" screen displays its goodies and music begins playing from Slacker (via WiFi).
11 seconds from opening the door to the time that the instrument cluster shows the full display.

It's not quite that good (yet). It's roughly 1/2 the pre-5.0 consumption.

Quick start up time, half or less the vampire loss, screen cleaning, wifi connectivity..........Sounds like a lot has been improved with this release...Thanks TM

If connecting thru the app is slower I can live with that....Just have to remember before leaving a store, work, etc. to plan on giving myself and the S 45-60 seconds to connect....no problem

Would be nice if car didn't sleep until 4.5 hours after driving. Normal work day you wouldn't deal with sleep, over night and time at the airport would safe a bunch of energy.
But it has been reported that the car wakes up from the sleep mode within 10 seconds of unlocking/opening the door. Seems the biggest concern with the sleep mode is that the Tesla app takes longer to connect with the car...45 seconds or so. So, the way I understand it, if you want the car heated/cooled before you leave work you need to plan to open the app a minute before you normally would but once you get to the car it starts up quickly.

But it has been reported that the car wakes up from the sleep mode within 10 seconds of unlocking/opening the door. Seems the biggest concern with the sleep mode is that the Tesla app takes longer to connect with the car...45 seconds or so. So, the way I understand it, if you want the car heated/cooled before you leave work you need to plan to open the app a minute before you normally would but once you get to the car it starts up quickly.

10 seconds to drive isn't bad. Half the time I forget to load the app until I'm walking out. At 45 seconds I will be in the car before it starts cooling. Guess I'll have to learn to think ahead.

Anybody know what the torque improvements are for creep mode? I'd not noticed any issues with it, but I have always wondered, when the car is stationary and held with the brake, is the creep off, or does is fight with the brake as an ICE car would? Much like knowing if the fridge light goes off when you close the door, except that's easy to test :)

Anybody know what the torque improvements are for creep mode? I'd not noticed any issues with it, but I have always wondered, when the car is stationary and held with the brake, is the creep off, or does is fight with the brake as an ICE car would? Much like knowing if the fridge light goes off when you close the door, except that's easy to test :)
the latter. its why, when stopped, unless you put firm pressure on the brake, you might feel a slight stutter, as if the car wants to move forward.

- - - Updated - - -

a thought i had re: 5.0 rollout timing: Because of the inherent costs of giving away free 3G, I wouldnt be surprised if the 5.0 rollout is much quicker than 4.5 The quicker 5.0 is out there, the quicker Tesla can start charging for 3G data. Unless there are significant bugs with the update.