Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Especially for "first published" screenshots, I didn't find these terribly blurry. There are a few that could be better, but the text is quite readable and overall the images are far better than some of the "spy cam" stuff we had in the earlier days of Model S.

I'm assuming FlasherZ's comment was intended to be a joke, especially given how many folks have been clamoring for months and months for a fix to the vampire loss.

Half-and-half. Vampire loss is just icing for me as I don't leave the car unplugged for extended periods of time. WiFi just gives me what I have already on 3G until the connectivity package pricing hits us. "Car-up" maps are my wife's favorite, but I don't really care either way. Screen cleaning mode, on the other hand, is fantastic when I'm at car shows.

The instrument cluster andnumerous touchscreen systems (e.g., Bluetooth, 3G connectivity) may take a few seconds to fully power up when you return to your Model S. The mobile app may also take a while (~45 sec) for the secure connection to the car to be re-established when in this low-power mode.

While I applaud Tesla's effort to reduce idle power consumption, I'm kind of scratching my head over this one. Is this implementation not EXACTLY how "Power Down Displays" worked in the early 4.0 releases? Can someone explain how this implementation is better? The 45 second mobile app connection time is slightly concerning, as this is how my Leaf app works and it is very annoying.

While I applaud Tesla's effort to reduce idle power consumption, I'm kind of scratching my head over this one. Is this implementation not EXACTLY how "Power Down Displays" worked in the early 4.0 releases? Can someone explain how this implementation is better? The 45 second mobile app connection time is slightly concerning, as this is how my Leaf app works and it is very annoying.

While that is what the user sees, the under-the-hood (sorry) details of power management and sleep are very complicated and they likely had many bugs to solve. There are lots of independent systems which interact and I bet they had trouble putting them to sleep and bringing them back up so that everything was happy and consistent.

As for the 45-second wakeup, well free lunches and all that.

My expectation is that the difference is that they had time to bake this one to hopefully shake out some of the significant issues.

Put another way, my understanding is that the original Sleep was pulled because of a variety implementation and "micro-design" issues but the "macro-design" was sound.