Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that some new cars are shipping with 5.0, others still with 4.5. If the software isn't ready, why are they installing it on some new vehicles? Mine was delivered just this past Friday and build completed earlier last week. My car arrived with 4.5 installed, but I also don't have any features that require 5.0 (parking sensors, winter package, etc.).
IMO the people getting 5.0 are, in effect, beta testers if others are getting 4.5 still. Probably random.

Does anyone who have 5.0 know if you can use the Model S itself as a hotspot? In other words, can I tether my wifi-only device to the Model S to be able to allow passengers to surf on their tablets?

I hope this is implemented. If they don't have an "all you can eat" data plan, then I can understand them holding off. However, when they start charging us I would love for this to be an option.

@dirkhh
Not true.
4.5 _does_ support parking sensors.
I drove a P85+ loaner that had them.
Photos are here: Parking sensors - Page 34
I don't have screen shots to show right now, but the 4.5 version you showed operating the parking sensors is drastically different from 5.0. On 5.0, I do not get a picture of the entire car. I get the rear sensors showing on the main screen, and the front sensors showing on the left dash, with a picture of just the front of the car.

On another note, I spoke to the local SC about the issue of the front sensors turning off in reverse. They had a pow-wow at the SC amongst all the workers and debated whether this feature is for Parking Sensors, or Parking Assist. They eventually agreed that these should be on while in reverse as a necessity while navigating tight spots, and put in a request to engineering.

Not on Tesla's nickel. What sounds reasonable is that you get hotspot enabled on your cell phone to provide internet access for the car and for your passengers as well. But I await 5.0 to verify that.

5.0 does not turn the car into a hotspot.
5.0 does - via the WiFi - allow your car to use a hotspot created by a MiFi device or cellphone or tablet with tethering.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the most anticipated firmware release for me since it reduces vampire load. I can't get it soon enough! :)
Although if there was a supercharger within 400 miles of my home I'd be equally excited about that as well.
So far my list is...
  1. Removal of the 60 kW warning for HPWC
  2. Vampire load decrease
  3. Hope that 120 kW supercharging unlocks