Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding out a cars past usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just sold my M3P, owned it since last September and I owe the whole of the Tesla community an immense apology, for six months I've slatted this car and called it everything from an appliance to a crock of rubbish, I've winged about the seats, the inaccurate mileage predictions, the build quality, the laughable fsd etc etc you get the drift.
Well I've sold it and I'm not to proud to say I'm gutted she's gone, I miss her like I've never missed a car before and that includes my 911 turbo and Nissan Gtr to just give you an idea, so many Mercs I've lost count. Now I'm sharing my wife's vw Golf 🙈, It's like going back to the last century, don't get me wrong it's a great car but its. a diesel, I have to start it with a key and it makes a noise (all the time) it also has an engine that according to my wife needs to be checked daily because it uses water, and to say it's slow is the understatement of the year, So I apologise to my former car for not loving you enough and just to say I miss you.
Back to here and now, to cheer myself up I'm coming back home to Tesla but this time I'm going for a used Model S, I can't afford a new one but I can get a half decent used model, as we have a trip to the French Alps coming up next month and I need to take my bike what better than a Long range or 100D, For my price range I've noticed if I really stretch myself I can get a 3 year old ludicrous model, most of them will have 40+k miles on the clock and be one owner in mint condition, my predicament or rather question would be, if I went for lets say a 2020 model S long range with 30k miles it's most probably been treated well and driven accordingly but if I went for the same in the ludicrous version how can I find out how it's actually been driven by the previous owner, is there a way to history check how many times its been 0-60 at max speed or has it spent it's short life being hammered around the Nurburgring every other weekend.
I remember on the old Ford rs turbo's you could find out how many times it had been redlined as an example, is there a way of gaining this information?
Thank you.

That would be like finding out how many partners your wife really had before you married her. Would you still go through with it?

Maybe it was ridden hard and put away wet but still well brushed and fed to use a horse analogy. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question though I find it an interesting one. It is of course a concern with any of the performance versions. It was a question I had when Plaid shopping but never posted it to the forum.

Good luck with finding what you are looking for both for an answer and a car.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, with my M3P I found the only time I ever pushed to the limit was merely to show to others what the car was capable of doing, nearly always to my amusement as the first time Tesla experience is pretty awesome. But 99.9% of the time whilst driving on my own it would be in chill mode, surely with all the tech this car has there’s a way of finding how many times it’s been booted around the block.

Upvote 0
After reading a lot of posts on this forum it seems the best car to buy is one that was actually used as intended. All the ones with failed components have low miles on older cars. But the same older cars with high miles are rock solid.

Like my 2014 has both original motors and while I did replace the main battery, that was purely for more power and range the stock pack was in excellent condition with 170k miles on it.

Reactions: Sam1 and Turknhoff
Upvote 0
I've just sold my M3P, owned it since last September and I owe the whole of the Tesla community an immense apology, for six months I've slatted this car and called it everything from an appliance to a crock of rubbish, I've winged about the seats, the inaccurate mileage predictions, the build quality, the laughable fsd etc etc you get the drift.
Well I've sold it and I'm not to proud to say I'm gutted she's gone, I miss her like I've never missed a car before and that includes my 911 turbo and Nissan Gtr to just give you an idea, so many Mercs I've lost count. Now I'm sharing my wife's vw Golf 🙈, It's like going back to the last century, don't get me wrong it's a great car but its. a diesel, I have to start it with a key and it makes a noise (all the time) it also has an engine that according to my wife needs to be checked daily because it uses water, and to say it's slow is the understatement of the year, So I apologise to my former car for not loving you enough and just to say I miss you.
Back to here and now, to cheer myself up I'm coming back home to Tesla but this time I'm going for a used Model S, I can't afford a new one but I can get a half decent used model, as we have a trip to the French Alps coming up next month and I need to take my bike what better than a Long range or 100D, For my price range I've noticed if I really stretch myself I can get a 3 year old ludicrous model, most of them will have 40+k miles on the clock and be one owner in mint condition, my predicament or rather question would be, if I went for lets say a 2020 model S long range with 30k miles it's most probably been treated well and driven accordingly but if I went for the same in the ludicrous version how can I find out how it's actually been driven by the previous owner, is there a way to history check how many times its been 0-60 at max speed or has it spent it's short life being hammered around the Nurburgring every other weekend.
I remember on the old Ford rs turbo's you could find out how many times it had been redlined as an example, is there a way of gaining this information?
Thank you.
You must be looking at a UK car?

I would expect ‘show off launches’ wouldn’t be a problem, especially as it’s so easy to get caught speeding over there - unless the car has been rented out or an errant teenager has been flooring it

Even then, the drivetrain should be able to handle it. Also, it takes a while to warm everything up for Plaid or Ludicrous mode - personally I’d get bored waiting

Reactions: Turknhoff
Upvote 0
You must be looking at a UK car?

I would expect ‘show off launches’ wouldn’t be a problem, especially as it’s so easy to get caught speeding over there - unless the car has been rented out or an errant teenager has been flooring it

Even then, the drivetrain should be able to handle it. Also, it takes a while to warm everything up for Plaid or Ludicrous mode - personally I’d get bored waiting
Yes I never thought of it this way, we have so many speed restrictions over here you have to wonder why you'd buy a car like this in the first place, bragging rights are hell of a thing and it'll really p**s my mates off so worth every penny 😁

Reactions: richrootes
Upvote 0
Thank you.
When I bought my '15 MS used from another car company's dealership that had taken it as a trade, they had no history available, and when I called a TSC and inquired, they wouldn't even talk to me until the ownership had completely transferred to my name.
So I had to take a leap of faith just to purchase it.
Then, once I did own it, when I asked for prior service records, they still won't give anything to you prior to your ownership period.
And Carfax might show a wreck, but not much else.

I'm not sure if the car MCU itself even keeps any info once it's been reset to stock between owners.
You could check in service mode to see how far back any codes are kept, but that's only going to show error codes, nothing regarding non-error maintenance.

And I know there are devices out there that are similar to what the SC's use to get more detailed info, but is someone going to let you hook that up prior to buying it? Probably not.

For the battery, I highly recommend looking at the label behind the front right tire to at least verify if the battery is original or not.

Reactions: Turknhoff
Upvote 0