Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally! New voice and maps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the maps are so far out of date they are laughable. I no longer use the in car navigation because it's so useless. Sends you down roads that don't exist all the time, or routes you the extra long way because it doesn't know roads that were built 3 years ago exist.

I'm pretty disappointed with Tesla in this regard. There's literally no legitimate excuse they can bring to bear that excuses the fact that the internal high-resolution maps are 4+ years out of date. It's even more egregious when the cluster map is laughable when you look at the center console Goolge Map which has all the correct roads, but your cluster is routing over buildings and lakes.

Map updates are partial. As in they could update downtown Austin and ignore/not update downtown Denver. The number of updates you receive doesn't preclude that someone could accurately say they see 4 year old map data in their region.
QUOTE: "Tesla vehicles in North America are using Navigon’s Q4 2015 maps, but the new modules are using 3 maps versions all dating from February to July 2017"

They look good!

The framerate of the new maps is surprisingly good. Very smooth. It seemed to also be much more accurate about your GPS position. I imagine that's just an illusion from the higher framerates. But looks good!
Don't pay attention to the position, because I am too lazy to reconstruct IC image from captured can data, I just drove the same route twice, but traffic being what it is, it was not exact, so while I edited it some it's still not 100% matching, just within a few seconds.
I could have done two videos one with every ic picture separate, but then correlating them is hard, I wanted to have a comparison side by side for better illustrative purposes.

The routes are different. A lot closer to what google maps would suggest which is both good (modern) and bad (the second trip in the video it actually decided to choose a longer less optimal route where as navigon went for the most convenient one).

You have access to a model 3 now in Tennessee????
ugh, no, but the maps are from a model 3, since they did not release new maps for anywhere but Taiwan yet on model S/X.

If you look at 2:20 of the video, the new UI is actually giving bad advice on what lanes you could be in. I preferred the old way that gave you a graphic of the interchanges/exit lanes.
Yes, so I am trying to raise awareness about this upcoming change (I know not everybody loves cards, but just dropping them like that is going to make things worse in some places) before it's too late. The slider "until next turn" is also gone which I think is bad too.
I know some people dislike cards because they obscure the map view, but they could have displayed them on the other side of the dash for example or come up with some other solution other than dropping them altogether.