Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling misinformed on my CPO order (substantive previous damage) -- what should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the end it saves no time to do the inspection after selling the car. They should inspect and take care of issues before listing, then the buyer never knows about and minor issues and gets a clean car quickly. It isn't that hard to do. Every car dealer in the US does used cars this way and they make plenty of money doing it.
At the very least, they should have a tech look at the car when it comes in and order the long lead items needed for repair at that time... not wait til after somebody puts a deposit down to figure out what even needs to be fixed on it. This would potentially save weeks on the backend.

I put my deposit down on 12/20 and my car is allegedly still waiting for parts because it's not even on a transport truck yet. I asked my DS for a list of what they were repairing on the car and she said she couldn't provide that to me now but she'd go over the list with me at delivery. That doesn't work for me. She (and her counterpart) both gave me the BS line that the more time they spend with the car, the nicer it will be. Honesty and openness go a long way when buying a car sight unseen.

And just because I haven't paid them for my car in full yet, doesn't mean it is exempt from depreciation...

The OP didn't get anything done on Twitter that wasn't going to happen anyway. Tesla was never going to keep his $1000 deposit, in spite of the fact that someone said they had to check about getting it back to him. That just wasn't going to happen.

And he wound up finding another car to apply the deposit to, which was what Tesla had been offering all along.

I'd have to both agree and disagree here. Sure, I probably could've had easily had the deposit refunded without using Twitter, but because of that it was escalated high up very quickly and the situation was resolved (plus some) with a whole new level of service.

I really don't like to be a "squeaky wheel," but in this situation I really felt like there was an issue in the process that needed to be resolved for future customers buying CPOs. Hopefully they start taking these comments into consideration for the future -- at least with vehicles that had been smoked in.

Reactions: William3
I put my deposit down on 12/20 and my car is allegedly still waiting for parts because it's not even on a transport truck yet. I asked my DS for a list of what they were repairing on the car and she said she couldn't provide that to me now but she'd go over the list with me at delivery.
I was finally successful in getting the list of needed repairs to my car and I feel a lot less stressed now. No notes about it being a smoker's car, phew! Everything was marked as being complete on 1/5, so I'm not sure what the hold up was. My car is scheduled to be picked up next week, so hopefully I'll have it shortly thereafter. YAY! :D