Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for an older Model S - Do I understand the differences? What amenities can I skip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Interesting to see this comment. I have a mid 2017 75D that I am thinking of selling or trading in. I'm the original owner. 70K miles. Always garaged and charged at home. Unlimited supercharging. FSD. Clean, etc. Dealers I have talked to tell me it's trash. Tesla through their trade-in offer tell me it's even bigger trash."

Does it have a moon roof? If you were to sell, what would you be asking for?
I feel so uneasy buying from a dealer and I would much rather purchase from someone that had babied their car. I also think it's really strange that after my test drive I asked if I purchased a new Model 3 if they would ride with me to show me the features - and they said "its all on youtube."

"Interesting to see this comment. I have a mid 2017 75D that I am thinking of selling or trading in. I'm the original owner. 70K miles. Always garaged and charged at home. Unlimited supercharging. FSD. Clean, etc. Dealers I have talked to tell me it's trash. Tesla through their trade-in offer tell me it's even bigger trash."

Does it have a moon roof? If you were to sell, what would you be asking for?
I feel so uneasy buying from a dealer and I would much rather purchase from someone that had babied their car. I also think it's really strange that after my test drive I asked if I purchased a new Model 3 if they would ride with me to show me the features - and they said "its all on youtube."
Mine has the all glass roof. By the time I bought it in 2017, there was no option to buy a sunroof. I wouldn't have opted for it anyway since I don't use a sunroof. The glass roof looks interesting, especially from the backseat.

As far as what I would ask for, I would just use kbb which is about what I see other Model S cars selling for. I tried that for trading in the car and the dealers are telling me that kbb is all wrong. Unless of course I want to buy a car, in which case their cars are worth all the money. When I buy a car I also feel "safer" buying from a dealer for some reason, but I think I have it backwards. You may want to go private party and ideally from an original owner and get to meet the person who actually drove the car before you. Seems better than buying from a Carmax superstore where the salespeople could care less about the car they're selling to you. Me as the person who bought and drove the car for years, I'm attached to it and that's one of the reasons I'm torn about letting it go.

I can't believe they told you "it's all on YouTube" after your test drive. Or maybe I should believe it. The salespeople don't care and in many cases they probably don't know. I doubt even Tesla salespeople know as much as some of the people on this forum who have been driving the cars for years.

"I doubt even Tesla salespeople know as much as some of the people on this forum who have been driving the cars for years."

I completely agree. I've already learned so much and if not for the members on the forum, I wouldn't have even gone a test drive. I would have solely based my decision to own one on the experience of being a passenger and for the brand reputation.

Late 2017 cars are amazing. they have 2.5 HW that can be upgraded to 3 for FSD without inside camera.
They have premium connectivity for free. I have one of those and with unlimited supercharging so it's really the sweet spot.
I agree. Mine is a Jan 2017 build picked up in Feb that year. have over 100k miles and still doing great. Still drives like new with just a couple repairs due to me hitting a large pothole. Still charges fast (for its version). The new ones almost charge too fast now because I usually like to grab lunch when on a charging stop on a road trip. It came with HW2.0 but I upgraded to HW3 since I have FSD and MCU2. The kbb seems crazy low for how good it is yet. Oh well. I plan on keeping mine for a long time yet. Haven’t had any issues with pano roof and do use it. Also in silver which I can’t get these days.

My understanding is that my free supercharging transfers ONE time. So if I sold to a dealer, that would be considered one transfer. Then when they sell it, it would be considered another transfer and I have read where Tesla has removed it from that buyer months later. So, private sale from original owner is safest bet. I don’t trust dealers any more than a private sale unless there’s some sort of warranty.

Last edited:
I agree. Mine is a Jan 2017 build picked up in Feb that year. have over 100k miles and still doing great. Still drives like new with just a couple repairs due to me hitting a large pothole. Still charges fast (for its version). The new ones almost charge too fast now because I usually like to grab lunch when on a charging stop on a road trip. It came with HW2.0 but I upgraded to HW3 since I have FSD and MCU2. The kbb seems crazy low for how good it is yet. Oh well. I plan on keeping mine for a long time yet. Haven’t had any issues with pano roof and do use it. Also in silver which I can’t get these days.

My understanding is that my free supercharging transfers ONE time. So if I sold to a dealer, that would be considered one transfer. Then when they sell it, it would be considered another transfer and I have read where Tesla has removed it from that buyer months later. So, private sale from original owner is safest bet. I don’t trust dealers any more than a private sale unless there’s some sort of warranty.
Yep. I'm so spoiled with the S I don't even realize how good it is. I just get in it and go. It's so nice inside and out. The kbb value, at least trade-in, is so low that I can't think of another car that is even close to this good for the price. To top it off, the Tesla trade-in quote is $10K below kbb and they're contacting me asking if I'm ready to go with it.

Late 2017 cars are amazing. they have 2.5 HW that can be upgraded to 3 for FSD without inside camera.
They have premium connectivity for free. I have one of those and with unlimited supercharging so it's really the sweet spot.
This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Would you be able to share what date range I'm looking for e.g May 2017 - Oct 2017 etc.
I've been on Find my Ev and used tesla only daily looking for one.

My understanding is that my free supercharging transfers ONE time. So if I sold to a dealer, that would be considered one transfer. Then when they sell it, it would be considered another transfer and I have read where Tesla has removed it from that buyer months later. So, private sale from original owner is safest bet. I don’t trust dealers any more than a private sale unless there’s some sort of warranty

I also love the silver, and youre right - so hard to find!
Is there some sort of loophole with transferring the supercharging, I thought I read somewhere that if its between private owners, Tesla doesn't intervene?

Anyone know of any other private sale websites other than find my EV and used tesla only?

I also love the silver, and youre right - so hard to find!
Is there some sort of loophole with transferring the supercharging, I thought I read somewhere that if its between private owners, Tesla doesn't intervene?

Anyone know of any other private sale websites other than find my EV and used tesla only?
findmyelectric, onlyusedtesla and the marketplace on this forum

I posted what I found about transferring supercharging here: Free unlimited supercharging transfer?

Reactions: OldCreek
I'm very happy with my Feb 2017 Model S 90 dual motor - 120+k miles, multiple cross-country trips (48 states). Free lifetime SC, internet. Sliding sunroof. Ventilated seats. FSD (yes, beta). subzero weather package, homelink, ash wood trim, smart air suspension. Has AP2; upgraded to HW3 computer and MCU 2(2.5?)
Half of all charging has been on superchargers. Range was orig 294 miles at 100%, down to 278 after 6.5 years

Gosh, these all sound amazing. Are they unicorns? I have been having a hard time finding one in the private market.
Do you think there will be more selection at the end of the year? I know Tesla doesn't do the whole change the whole car every year thing- they just do mods when they see fit. But I'm hoping whatever quarterly incentive they have will encourage others to upgrade so a Model S will be in my price range.

Gosh, these all sound amazing. Are they unicorns? I have been having a hard time finding one in the private market.
Do you think there will be more selection at the end of the year? I know Tesla doesn't do the whole change the whole car every year thing- they just do mods when they see fit. But I'm hoping whatever quarterly incentive they have will encourage others to upgrade so a Model S will be in my price range.
I don't think there is anything special about 2017. A Model S from 2018+ will be even better since these cars keep improving. It's just a matter of finding one in your price range. A used Model S is a really good value given recent depreciation. It shouldn't be that hard to find one.

I don't think there is anything special about 2017. A Model S from 2018+ will be even better since these cars keep improving. It's just a matter of finding one in your price range. A used Model S is a really good value given recent depreciation. It shouldn't be that hard to find one.
I'm glad you mentioned depreciation. All the dealerships I've gone to have insisted the used car market is dry and thats why they are asking 38k for a 2016 model S with warped rotors and seat damage. "Someone will pay it". what do you think has caused the recent deprecation? I think the 2016-2018 models are more attractive since they have the sentry cameras and don't require shifting gears on the MCU like the 2023.

I'm glad you mentioned depreciation. All the dealerships I've gone to have insisted the used car market is dry and thats why they are asking 38k for a 2016 model S with warped rotors and seat damage. "Someone will pay it". what do you think has caused the recent deprecation? I think the 2016-2018 models are more attractive since they have the sentry cameras and don't require shifting gears on the MCU like the 2023.

LOL. $38K for a 2106?? That is outrageous!

do not expect free supercharging to transfer unless you are buying directly from a private party that will log into their on-line account while you are present, do the copy and paste of the car graphics, and extract the option codes from the html code behind the image. Safest if it being the original purchaser, but it can be a subsequent owner provide the car never went back through Tesla's hands.

Based on this thread, it doesn't look like you are safe getting free supercharging to transfer even with your advice:

Quick update Tesla Model S90D History
48 states + Canada, 20+ National Parks
90 kWH battery Version C
Dual Motor
Free unlimited lifetime SC
Free lifetime internet
Sliding sunroof
Ventilated seats
EAP (later FSD)
Subzero weather package
Homelink
Ash wood trim
Smart air suspension

Data recorded daily by TeslaFi since 10/18 last updated 4/24
Battery Range at 100%

MM/YY Range Odometer Capacity

02/17 294 miles 0k 100%
01/19 285 36k 96.9%
01/20 283 64k 96.2%
01/21 282 74k 95.9%
01/22 279 94k 94.9%
01/23 276 112k 93.9%
01/24 278 126k 94.6%

Supercharging –
  • Max typically set to 80-85%, 90-95% if necessary (rare)
  • 581 supercharges at 314 locations in 48 states
  • Average charge time of 26 minutes
  • Total of 17,654 KWH added
AC Charging –
  • vast majority at home on a 50 amp 220V circuit, Max typically set at 80%
  • 1014 charges at 21 locations
  • Total of 18,410 KWH added
Software –
  • 100 updates
  • average of 20 days between updates
  • average of 4 days from release to download and installation
Service –
04/17 Initial issues with 12v battery failure and shut down (x4) in first few months. Required replacement of junction box and rear subframe wiring harness. Resolved under warranty with gratis two-year extended warranty.
05/18 Yellow border on MCU – replaced (recurred in 2019, warranty) (15,369 miles)
10/18 FSD purchased (already had EAP)
05/19 Yellow border on MCU again – replaced (resolved, warranty) (43,725 miles)
09/19 Air Conc failure (resolved, warranty) (60,024 miles)
06/20 HW3 retrofit upgrade for FSD (no charge, 69,571 miles)
10/20 Infotainment upgrade (AP2 to AP3, 71,867 miles)
02/21 12v Battery replacement (no problems, elective replacement) (75,839 miles)
01/22 Secondary hood latch inspection (no charge) (94,347 miles)
01/22 Michelin CrossClimate2 Tires
07/22 FSD Camera replacement (no charge) (101,394 miles)
01/23 3-way Coolant valve failed (replaced, elective replacement of 4-way Coolant valve) (112,903 miles)
03/23 Rear hatch failure - Replaced latch and cinching actuator (117,571 miles)
04/24 Supervised FSD v12.3.4 (129,445 miles)

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4