Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite options? I want a snowplow and a winch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 10,000 lb winch is on a receiver type mount and I can attach it on the front or rear of my F150. I have 4ga wiring to support it run to both ends with Anderson type plugs so it's easy to connect. I leave it off the truck unless I need it. I have used it on both the front and rear. Very handy and it does not permanently take up space.

Reactions: kayak1
I've been thinking about the winch setup. Since the truck will have 220VAC a winch setup could draw very low amps and use light gauge wiring compared to 12VDC winches. Hopefully with quick release mounts and plugs front and rear. Plus maybe one at the front of the bed for winching things into the bed.

A 9500lb winch has a ~4kW motor. So 4,00W ÷ 240V = 17A
It will only draw 4kW at full load.
I looked and did not find any 240V 10,000 lb winches.

Maybe use an old drive unit. It would operate at 400V and use even less current.
Maybe a PTO from the rear drive unit.

An old drive unit would be much cheaper and lighter. Maybe Tesla will have an HV (400VDC) winch as an option.
Still the 12V source has to have a lot of power for the power steering (if the steering is 12V like others today). My F150 has a 250A fuse attached to the battery leading to the power steering.

OMG!! I totally want to get a Snow Plow for my CyberTruck! I run vacation rentals in Flagstaff and there's a big storm right now and I feel helpless relying on other people to dig my guests out of the snow. Would be so fun to do it myself with this BEAST of a truck! I have zero experience with snow plows.... so what does the truck need to be able to able to attach a legit plow to the front?

Plows need weight carrying capacity on the front axle. They also need a sturdy place on the truck to attach. Unless you baby it, the normal operation of the plow is repeated collisions with piles of snow that can easily outweigh the truck at speeds up to 20 MPH. With the occasional oops where you snag a curb or lip in the pavement, or even a frozen edge of the ground going at that speed. Plows beat up trucks pretty good. If I was buying a used truck, my first thing to check is to look if it has ever had a plow mounted on it. At least the CT, the repeated forward and reversing action won't be chewing up your drive train quite as much (but still some).

Seriously? That's a garbage snow blower. My little 23 HP Kubota Tractor (19 HP PTO) has a 6' blower that will launch snow 50'.

The thing is, that little diesel can put out 19 HP at the PTO sustained for hours. In deep snow, that power will be the limiting factor as to how fast you can clear it. 19 HP = ~14 KW. So yes, could make an electric motor that big, but its going to need to tap into the main battery system. Not going to be a 12v accessory. Or add an aux diesel ICE on the snow blower.

I hope the engineers watch this. Would be nice to have some integrated features. Although was somewhat amusing to see them using an on board compressor, then next frame having to manually pump the 'shade structure'.

Well I'll bet that you cannot find any snow plows in Tx except maybe at some airports mostly to the North. It's just not a wise investment for a once in 50-100 year event. Our house in Houston had plumbing in the attic and it was not insulated. We never had a broken pipe. The service line came out of the ground beside the house and had a drain valve on it so you could drain the system but to my knowledge we never used it.