Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon-wing doors in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think so? You don't think the falcons will be able to pop open with ice on them?

Ice can glue regular car doors shut. I had a few minor cases in Seattle.

I think he means that the snow is hard to brush off if there is a crust of frozen snow and ice.

Water will also run down in the seams between the door and the car body and then if it refreezes, it will act like glue sealing the door shut.

I have also had to deal with a couple of inches of snow with an inch of freezing rain on top. My car was in the garage that time, but it was a mess anywhere I had to deal with it around the house as well as being treacherous to walk on. We weren't able to open the garage door for a couple of days because the freezing rain driven by high winds coated the entire front of the house.

Last edited:
Some people here seem ignore that the Model X will often be used as family car, often driven by a women with maybe small kids.

She is certainly not going to go the frunk with the baby on the arm and a toddler on the hand, get the snow removal tool and then clear the roof of a car that might be taller than her.

Some people here seem ignore that the Model X will often be used as family car, often driven by a women with maybe small kids.

She is certainly not going to go the frunk with the baby on the arm and a toddler on the hand, get the snow removal tool and then clear the roof of a car that might be taller than her.

Someone in this thread said that driving with snow on the roof of a car is illegal in Sweden and it might be illegal in some other places too. In those places, women who want to drive the car either get someone else to sweep the snow off the roof or she does it herself. In places where driving with snow on the roof is legal, it might be a new concept. Light snow probably wouldn't be a serious problem, though some of it might get inside the car.

Ultimately this is a car that might not be for everyone. I wouldn't want one, but I've never liked SUVs of minivans though we did own a minivan for about a year. It was useful when we had to do a lot of hauling, but if I had a Model X, I'd want to take out the seats and make it a cargo van and it's not well suited for that.

The falcon wings doors may prove to be popular with some people and hated by others.

agree with spidy. also as someone who grew up in snow, and then lived in newfoundland for five years...there is a LARGE per cent of the population who does bare minimum brushing before driving away. even if you brush off the "fluffy" top layer, often there is a frozen layer of icy crust on top of the car. should be interesting to see the first few videos of a good crusty snow/model x door opening videos.

as a sidenote i know Elon made a big deal of these doors, but to me, the ergonomics theoretically are no diferent than a minivan sliding door. again, will wait and see.

I'm sure there are some, but how many people purchasing a Model X don't have access to garage? I'm thinking a pretty small minority.

Of course, there will be times when one can't park in a garage during a snow storm...at work, perhaps. In those instances it would be particularly beneficial to brush the snow off the roof.

In the event that the vehicle is being driven by someone with a babe-in-arms, who didn't have access to shelter during a snow storm, I recommend asking for assistance.

Regardless of the law in your location, brushing off the snow/ice from your vehicle is the responsible thing to do.

How does said mother deal with her SUV today? My wife is not a large person and had no problems clearing snow off our SUV with a baby in tow. Women are surprisingly capable, nearly equaling their male counterparts
0_84067_cb54c100_orig.gif

Yes, short women with children are stupid, helpless and lack any forethought. /sarcasm off

Did I really just read what I read?!?!?

Ding ding. Aaaand there's the bell - can you believe it's only the end of round 7 ?! Unless there's a knockout, this one's only half over! Sorry, just dropped by to say how happy I am to see yet another snow on the roof thread going strong.
There's this thing called a "sno brūm". Seriously, look it up, it works great! Got mine off the SkyMall which is, tragically, bankrupt as I understand. If you big time jet setters had just bought more crappy junk from SkyMall, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

agree with spidy. also as someone who grew up in snow, and then lived in newfoundland for five years...there is a LARGE per cent of the population who does bare minimum brushing before driving away. even if you brush off the "fluffy" top layer, often there is a frozen layer of icy crust on top of the car. should be interesting to see the first few videos of a good crusty snow/model x door opening videos.
If you preheat the car, the ice should slide right off.

Ding ding. Aaaand there's the bell - can you believe it's only the end of round 7 ?! Unless there's a knockout, this one's only half over! Sorry, just dropped by to say how happy I am to see yet another snow on the roof thread going strong.
There's this thing called a "sno brūm". Seriously, look it up, it works great! Got mine off the SkyMall which is, tragically, bankrupt as I understand. If you big time jet setters had just bought more crappy junk from SkyMall, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Thanks for the laugh :). After having spent the majority of my adult (and pre-adult) life in snow country (before landing in northern California), I just don't understand all this angst over snow on cars. Brush it off. If you must park outside and you believe a major ice storm is going to happen, either cover it OR park it so that at least one door is taking a direct hit from the sun once the snow stops. And with the X, I assume we'll all have the same pre-heating option that the S currently enjoys. Life is good.

SkyMall may be out of business, but you're all getting a second chance at one of these on eBay. Have at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I've said it before, but the logical thing is to have Tesla make a superpower door mode that whips the falcon wing door open so rapidly that it catapults all of the snow atop the neighboring cars. Note - stand clear of the door during this process. :wink:

Thanks for the laugh :). After having spent the majority of my adult (and pre-adult) life in snow country (before landing in northern California), I just don't understand all this angst over snow on cars. Brush it off. If you must park outside and you believe a major ice storm is going to happen, either cover it OR park it so that at least one door is taking a direct hit from the sun once the snow stops. And with the X, I assume we'll all have the same pre-heating option that the S currently enjoys. Life is good.

SkyMall may be out of business, but you're all getting a second chance at one of these on eBay. Have at it!

The Snow Joe is better because not all snow is fluffy and that easy to wipe. So you brush with one end, and scrape with the other:

Both of those were pretty ideal snow brush conditions. You can tell the temperature isn't very low, as the snow is wet. The water acts as a lubricant allowing the snow to easily slide off the car. (This effect will be similar when preheating the car, even when really cold.)

Personally, the worst conditions I expecience is when I park next to a river in -20C/0F, and you have a continuous flow of humid air over the car, where it freezes. You can easily get half an inch of ice covering the car in a few hours. Without preheating, you'll be stuck scraping the ice of the car for ages.

If you preheat the car, the ice should slide right off.
IMHO, this is probably the best answer. Ideally, perhaps, an optional "winter package" could in the future include simple resistance heaters in the roof and the upper part of the doors. Because it can sometimes take more than a few minutes of preheating the cabin to get ice and crusty snow to slide off, as we've experienced with our EV.

The best part is that, while preheating, no one has to breathe exhaust fumes from running an engine rich in the cold.

Freezing rain, followed by heavy snow, is the worse. You get thick ice forming a barrier followed by snow that you need to brush off before you can even get to the ice. But that Snow Joe works really good. I don't take my S to my cabin where we get those conditions, but my Tahoe Hybrid has remote start and it preheats. Still, it takes a while to get it warm enough to scrape the windows and you can get a lot of pressure on the soft side, for the roof and other parts where there's paint but it doesn't damage it, and the scrapper is much better for the windows than smaller ones since you get more pressure. It works really well.