Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door - rain concern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amen.

I was working outside earlier this year when a rainstorm hit. I sat on the back ledge of my Jeep, with the hatch door up. It was the perfect place to sit and watch the short rain storm.

I think there's a big difference between a hatchback door and the X's falcon in so many ways including the 2ft gap above the roof in the X.

But we wont know until its been experienced by you and the other model x owners. I have faith in Tesla to cover themselves in this regard and it shouldn't be a problem.

No doubt when the X's are delivered we can have a video of the doors open in the rain to show there was nothing to worry about. :smile:

Maybe keep your snowbrush somewhere other than inside the car when it's snowing? ;-)

It's not before leaving home that's the problem, it's when you've gone somewhere and return to the parking lot/space and curse the fallen snow and open the vehicle to grab the snowbrush.

Maybe here in New England we should carry a snowbrush with us like it's an umbrella. :p

If Tesla hasn't thought of rain and snow, they've really done a bad job, but short of having a really cool stretched canopy coming from the upper sides of the doors, I can't see how they can entirely prevent entry of snow or rain. But it's s not like opened conventional doors keep rain or snow out either.

Last edited:
I think there's a big difference between a hatchback door and the X's falcon in so many ways including the 2ft gap above the roof in the X.

But we wont know until its been experienced by you and the other model x owners. I have faith in Tesla to cover themselves in this regard and it shouldn't be a problem.

No doubt when the X's are delivered we can have a video of the doors open in the rain to show there was nothing to worry about. :smile:

When I get my X, I'll be posting something daily - until there are a lot more on the road :). Rainstorm would be high on the list.

It's not before leaving home that's the problem, it's when you've gone somewhere and return to the parking lot/space and curse the fallen snow and open the vehicle to grab the snowbrush.

Maybe here in New England we should carry a snowbrush with us like it's an umbrella. :p

You beat me to it, but this is exactly right. I park in a garage at home, but it's at places like my office that it's a problem. If I remember, and snow is coming, I'll sometimes stash it up on the cowl by the wipers, but then I have to dig it out from there before I can use it! Someone should develop an umbrella with a collapsible snow brush on the other end!!

- - - Updated - - -

I can't see how they can entirely prevent entry of snow or rain. But it's s not like opened conventional doors keep rain or snow out either.

Agree completely. It's not the falling from the sky stuff, it's (potentially) the piled up on the roof stuff that I'd be worried about.

If Tesla hasn't thought of rain and snow, they've really done a bad job, but short of having a really cool stretched canopy coming from the upper sides of the doors, I can't see how they can entirely prevent entry of snow or rain. But it's s not like opened conventional doors keep rain or snow out either.

<sarcasm>
Breaking news...Tesla has partnered with Dyson. Now when you open the Falcon Doors, Dyson's patented Concentrated AirBlade technology, powered by their V4 Digital Motor (TM), will create a wind curtain preventing rain and snow from entering the cabin.
</sarcasm>

You read it here first. ;)

Last edited:
<sarcasm>
Breaking news...Tesla has partnered with Dyson. Now when you open the Falcon Doors, Dyson's patented Concentrated AirBlade technology, powered by their V4 Digital Motor (TM), will create a wind curtain preventing rain and snow from entering the cabin.
</sarcasm>

Don't laugh, but that's an interesting idea!

With the added benefit of drying your hair, wet dogs & kids before loading!

With the added benefit of drying your hair, wet dogs & kids before loading!
My first dog (as an adult) was a Chocolate Lab. He was the most friendly, outgoing, self-confident dog I've ever known. Nothing phased him.

Nothing, except wind (and any of its sources - fans, hairdriers, and real wind). Oh, and storm drains and fog.

<sarcasm>
</sarcasm>

You can remove the sarcasm tags....this was on Kickstarter last year and IIRC it was due to premiere in December 2015.....just about on the same schedule as Model X. Oh, and it runs on Li batteries....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243275397/air-umbrella/description

You can remove the sarcasm tags....this was on Kickstarter last year and IIRC it was due to premiere in December 2015.....just about on the same schedule as Model X. Oh, and it runs on Li batteries....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243275397/air-umbrella/description

Well, I'll be...:eek:
Doesn't look like it uses the same Dyson Concentrated AirBlade technology (as found in the Dyson hand dryers), but interesting none-the-less. However, I'm somewhat skeptical anyone is going to get one of these Air Umbrellas judging by the comments. Whereas, I know I'll be getting a Model-X, potentially powered by Dyson technology. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know if this is a 1 off? Problem with quality control rather than a design flaw? Perhaps X owners could respond with the experience in the rain.
From the link:
The uploader also notes that both doors leak, but that the left door only drips, whereas the right streams in as seen in the video

This implies that it is not a design issue, but a QC problem.

This is how negative articles spread without basis. There have been plenty of people that have said the doors work wonderfully in the rain--but all it takes is one video without explanation and the negative articles start rolling in. I would rate this as "not working as intended, please visit service center."

We have already been down this road on this very same topic. And we also know that many of the initial cars needed to have door seals repaired or replaced. Several reports already of how great the falcon doors are in the rain... So we need to nip this off right here. And the originator of that video needs to get that X into the Service Center ASAP if they have not already done so.